Thread: A little too much power at the wrong time...

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor powermaxx's Avatar

Red face A little too much power at the wrong time...

It was another one of "Those Nights" for me at the local Friday night Street ET (Sport Compact Class) at the track. It started out with a rear brake job "gone bad" a couple of nights before the race. I wound up putting the old brakes back on which weren't holding me in the burnout box very well.

So the first time trial it's hot outside and I get a slow 13.077@109.62 (burnout was so-so) but the mph said I was on a repeat of last outing (12.7's)

Second time run it pulls hard, I knew I was on a good run but shifted to 3rd and "Pop" goes the IC hose. Went thru the traps 13.507@85.15.

Got that fixed and it was dial in time (yeah, pick which run????), so I reviewed old time slips and dialed a 12.75.

Lined up with opponents dial of 18.49 (Gonna be a long wait...) Got a good launch and managed to trigger the high boost switch in first gear this time. And the steering wheel is like an animal possesed! I was onto a real good run this time. I caught the other car just before the finish line and lifted about 100ft out but it didn't matter (and I tapped the brakes a little). I broke out (by a whole bunch ). I was in front by .089sec but I was sleeping at the tree and it wouldn't have mattered .

12.648@104.36 (lifted and on the brakes) on a 12.75 dial

New personel best time at a track elevation of 5800 (Density Altitude was over 8110ft)

I almost wished it had been a redlight so I could have seen what it would have run (I think 12.5's were there). New rear brakes will be on so burnouts will be consistent next time out! I even had a little fan action going on. Some folks actually knew what the GLHS was! Loved it when one guy said something about me walking the 350Z car in my first time run.

turbo addict

Re: A little too much power at the wrong time...

Quote Originally Posted by powermaxx
    It was another one of "Those Nights" for me at the local Friday night Street ET (Sport Compact Class) at the track. It started out with a rear brake job "gone bad" a couple of nights before the race. I wound up putting the old brakes back on which weren't holding me in the burnout box very well.

So the first time trial it's hot outside and I get a slow 13.077@109.62 (burnout was so-so) but the mph said I was on a repeat of last outing (12.7's)

Second time run it pulls hard, I knew I was on a good run but shifted to 3rd and "Pop" goes the IC hose. Went thru the traps 13.507@85.15.

Got that fixed and it was dial in time (yeah, pick which run????), so I reviewed old time slips and dialed a 12.75

Lined up with opponents dial of 18.49 (Gonna be a long wait...) Got a good launch and managed to trigger the high boost switch in first gear this time. And the steering wheel is like an animal possesed! I was onto a real good run this time. I caught the other car just before the finish line and lifted about 100ft out but it didn't matter (and I tapped the brakes a little). I broke out (by a whole bunch ). I was in front by .089sec but I was sleeping at the tree and it wouldn't have mattered .

12.648@104.36 (lifted and on the brakes) on a 12.75 dial

New personel best time at a track elevation of 5800 (Density Altitude was over 8110ft)

I almost wished it had been a redlight so I could have seen what it would have run (I think 12.5's were there). New rear brakes will be on so burnouts will be consistent next time out! I even had a little fan action going on. Some folks actually knew what the GLHS was! Loved it when one guy said something about me walking the 350Z car in my first time run.
    GREAT RUN!!!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Hahhhaha, awesome. I hate it when you go too fast, hahahaha
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

MAn.. that's hauling at 5800 feet!!! Congrats
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Great run Steve! I know exactly how you feel having given up a 12 or two on the brakes trying to go rounds in my Shadow with the 13.00 dial...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

what was your reaction time? If you're sleeping at the tree how'd you redlight?

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

He didn't redlight. He broke out. He ran faster than his dial in and ran the 12.6 while still on the brakes as he was crossing the finish before the other car. It's bracket racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

oh I read that wrong. I thought he said that he did redlight, when he really said "he WISHED he had redlighted" I know what bracket racing is and how it works. I do it all the time. How many trophy's do you have??

"......Some folks actually knew what the GLHS was!.................."

nice work. great that you educated a few people.
    get to beach elevation and run a low 11.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2
    oh I read that wrong. I thought he said that he did redlight, when he really said "he WISHED he had redlighted" I know what bracket racing is and how it works. I do it all the time. How many trophy's do you have??
    If I had redlit then I would of run it out the back door and should of had a 12.5xx (A better best time, off to test'n tune for the driver!)

Trophies? The old Challenger and I have a few on the wall . The GLHS has just started but it has a couple also....

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS
    "......Some folks actually knew what the GLHS was!.................."

nice work. great that you educated a few people.
    get to beach elevation and run a low 11.
    Yeah, that altitude is killer! But I'd have to put a roll bar in the GLHS (no cutting on my numbered soon to be restored, etc...)

I have a another car that I'll be putting together soon for that (see last car in sig)