Thread: Cooling system: Flush/troubleshooting.

Hybrid booster

Cooling system: Flush/troubleshooting.

I got to thinking about this the other day when I drove the 600 around.

Back in the Winter I didn't have the heat coming out of the heater like I should have. On slightly warmer (for Winter) days, say in the low 30's it was ok, but any lower and the amount of heat just wasn't there. I've read up on the threads about checking the heater core hoses and such but when my engine problems came up I just lost interest in checking these out.

So, basically, what I'm wondering is: Should I flush the cooling system before I remove the head or after. I'm guessing, from reading this as I type, that I should do it before.

What got me thinking about this was, even though in the Winter, on the colder days, my cooling fan would come on more frequently than I thought it should. So, going by this I was also wondering if possibly, one of the reasons why I have the engine/compression problem is due to over heating. Extra heat would make me detonate "easier" wouldn't it?

(BTW: One of the extra gauges I'm going to use is a water temp gauge.)

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
    Paul

boostaholic

Re: Cooling system: Flush/troubleshooting.

Radiator it's self may need some attention. They can build up sludge in the bottom, plug up some core tubes etc. Take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned out. Have you looked at the thermostat lately? What temp is it?

I would flush before AND after doing head work. Before to get all the anti freeze and any misc other crud out. After to make sure any debris from the work is flushed out.

Hybrid booster

Re: Cooling system: Flush/troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by 87glhs232
    Radiator it's self may need some attention. They can build up sludge in the bottom, plug up some core tubes etc. Take it to a radiator shop and have it cleaned out. Have you looked at the thermostat lately? What temp is it?

I would flush before AND after doing head work. Before to get all the anti freeze and any misc other crud out. After to make sure any debris from the work is flushed out.

Sounds reasonable...

Not too sure about the t stat. As far as I know everything on the 600 is stock, so the t stat is probably stock as well.

Thanks!
    Paul