View Poll Results: Which Companies Calibrations?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Turbos Unleashed

25 43.86%
  • FWD Peformance

28 49.12%
  • Mopar Peformance

4 7.02%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: who do you like to do calibration's?

Re: who do you like to do calibration's?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pope View Post

........I have had one cal from TU, 3 bar........

The TU cal I have makes great power floored, but idles like crap and the thing gets poor mileage.
    FYI-

We checked our records and we have never sold Rob (The Pope) a calibration.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I say if its a log, and staying that way for a while..

Then get the mopar stage 2, a full exhaust, do yourself a nice cold air intake, and then just listen and wait.. if nothing goes wrong for a while, then its on to the next round

For what its worth, ive noticed most people here with log/auto and similar mods (mp stg 2, exhaust) are able to run 15.4s at best. Not that bad considering how bad the log intake parts are!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    FYI-

Chris-TU
    Sorry I thought that was funny.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Garrett booster

FYI-

Chris-TU
    That is correct, we haven't. If the cal was purchased second hand from someone else there is always a chance that it won't be a match to your vehicle... HOWEVER, idling like crap and getting bad milage while at the same time running hard WOT sounds more like the cam being retarded 1 tooth.

turbo addict

I vote custom

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by mrboost View Post
    That is correct, we haven't. If the cal was purchased second hand from someone else there is always a chance that it won't be a match to your vehicle... HOWEVER, idling like crap and getting bad milage while at the same time running hard WOT sounds more like the cam being retarded 1 tooth.
    That could be true.

The engine / van was built to match the cal though. I copied the origanal owners build when putting it together.

The guys name was Mark I believe, haven't seen him in a long time. He had a 2.5 89 Spirit in Portland OR. But after his turbo nuked he parted the car and I got the cal. It was built for a 2.5, 3 bar, 42 lb injectors, G head, intercooler and 3" exhaust. So I went through and copied the build.

Intresting cal, it has a high boost of 20 PSI, low boost of 15 PSI and cut out or 22 PSI. BUT the cruize only works in high mode So I kept it in high mode, hit boost hard though and would do big smoky burn outs. I kept the cal and will be installing it into my Rampage this summer, I'm pretty sure I can lean it out with the wideband and the AFR.

The origanal build the cal was made for was pretty simple, no porting or any real custom flow parts. So I should be able to use it, unless you know a part I'm missing? The sheet doesn't say anything about mods other than the G head. BTW I didn't say I bought from TU either...

Garrett booster

The sheet doesn't say anything about mods other than the G head. BTW I didn't say I bought from TU either...
    That you didn't buy it from TU was our point. You bought it second hand from someone that had it programmed specifically to their vehicle. You said you matched the build, but there is differences in the cylinder head. There may be other differences as well. Based on the symptoms you described it would be best to check the cam timing though.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

A wideband is nice with a 2 bar, but your not pushing it much at this point past stock. So it is a want not a need. You push into 3 bar and now you need one.
    You still don't need a wideband with a 3 bar cal, they are a nice option and especially now the prices have dropped but they are still a luxury. If doing your own cals, then yes, you need one, if buying a custom cal, luxury.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by mrboost View Post
    That could be true.
    If you are not even sure that you assembled your engine correctly then you should not be chiming in with your opinion on our cals. Aside from that, you have a custom cal which was configured for someone else's vehicle. There is no guarantee that it will work on yours.

The engine / van was built to match the cal though. I copied the origanal owners build when putting it together.

The guys name was Mark I believe, haven't seen him in a long time. He had a 2.5 89 Spirit in Portland OR. But after his turbo nuked he parted the car and I got the cal. It was built for a 2.5, 3 bar, 42 lb injectors, G head, intercooler and 3" exhaust. So I went through and copied the build.

Intresting cal, it has a high boost of 20 PSI, low boost of 15 PSI and cut out or 22 PSI. BUT the cruize only works in high mode So I kept it in high mode, hit boost hard though and would do big smoky burn outs. I kept the cal and will be installing it into my Rampage this summer, I'm pretty sure I can lean it out with the wideband and the AFR.

The origanal build the cal was made for was pretty simple, no porting or any real custom flow parts. So I should be able to use it, unless you know a part I'm missing? The sheet doesn't say anything about mods other than the G head.

BTW I didn't say I bought from TU either...
    Yes, but you also failed to say that you didn't buy the cal from us. The title of this thread is "Who do you like to do calibrations?", not "Who's calibrations do you like to buy second hand?" The OP was looking for first hand feedback not input on something you were trying to make work.

Marc is actually in Northern CA. His cal was "Custom" not generic. He requested the modifications you noted above. Based on the information you provided your specs are not an identical match to the customers. It's no surprise that you would be having issues. You might try cam timing like Paul suggested, but, there are still no guarantees.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

If you are not even sure that you assembled your engine correctly then you should not be chiming in with your opinion on our cals. Aside from that, you have a custom cal which was configured for someone else's vehicle. There is no guarantee that it will work on yours.

Yes, but you also failed to say that you didn't buy the cal from us. The title of this thread is "Who do you like to do calibrations?", not "Who's calibrations do you like to buy second hand?" The OP was looking for first hand feedback not input on something you were trying to make work.

Marc is actually in Northern CA. His cal was "Custom" not generic. He requested the modifications you noted above. Based on the information you provided your specs are not an identical match to the customers. It's no surprise that you would be having issues. You might try cam timing like Paul suggested, but, there are still no guarantees.

Chris-TU
    Come on Chris. It this a bit much. I think his write up was better for TU then what he said for FWD.

TU "The TU cal I have makes great power floored"
    FWD "The 3 bars always have need adjustment"

You should have said for 50 bucks will adjust the cal some for you
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

^ True.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    Come on Chris. It this a bit much. I think his write up was better for TU then what he said for FWD.

TU "The TU cal I have makes great power floored"
    FWD "The 3 bars always have need adjustment"

You should have said for 50 bucks will adjust the cal some for you
    Agreed, but I was mainly responding to his comment:

"but idles like crap and the thing gets poor mileage."

The cal was not made for his car so it does not reflect the true quality of Paul's work. He may get better results after he verifies the timing.

Chris-TU

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

I fine tune my own cals and like them and some of the features availiable. You do need a wide band, and quite a bit of time ( depending on how picky you are) to get them right but the final product is worth it. My cals start up and idle like a stock car. I always wanted to try one of TU's cal's because I only heard positive things about them but when I needed the cal unfortunately they were not availiable.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Hybrid booster

Anyone already using TU's SBEC-II cals? i'm interested to hear about those!

Considering TU has only been doing cals for a short time the pole results are impressive when compared to the other companies that have hundreds of cals on the market. That would seem to show a very higher percentage of customer satisfaction. My money is on TU and with them!

With V6, 16 valve hybrids, PT cruiser, SRT4 and E85 and more calibrations on the horizon it looks like a bright future. They seem to have a good grasp on where this market is heading.

Rich
    Aerospace Engineer

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by sixchipies@msn.com View Post
    Considering TU has only been doing cals for a short time the pole results are impressive when compared to the other companies that have hundreds of cals on the market. That would seem to show a very higher percentage of customer satisfaction. My money is on TU and with them!

With V6, 16 valve hybrids, PT cruiser, SRT4 and E85 and more calibrations on the horizon it looks like a bright future. They seem to have a good grasp on where this market is heading.

Rich
    Aerospace Engineer
    ^^^^^ 5 post LOL....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    ^^^^^ 5 post LOL....
    wow, that's poor.... i hope you have realized that there's a possibility of people being quite knowledgeable without having posted a whole lot of crap? it also says join date June 2008, but maybe he's been around on TD.com for some more years? or maybe even stuck with TDs since the 80's and just recently discovered the wealth of online information?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Vendor

Maybe so...it just made me laugh though. He's even from Phoenix. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by janus View Post
    wow, that's poor.... i hope you have realized that there's a possibility of people being quite knowledgeable without having posted a whole lot of crap? it also says join date June 2008, but maybe he's been around on TD.com for some more years? or maybe even stuck with TDs since the 80's and just recently discovered the wealth of online information?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Austrian Dodge's Avatar

you're married to cindy...

so who cares?

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    ^^^^^ 5 post LOL....

I agree, that was pretty poor. As I read it the guy is only making an observation. He's not staking a claim or calling anyone out. I don't believe you need a high post count to be smart enough to form a opinion like that. And with him being an engineer I bet he is smarter than most.
    85 Shelby Charger Commonblock T-II, GT3076, TU Cast Header, 3" SV, TU R-2 Plus Billet Cam, TU Custom Calibration

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast