Thread: Copper Head Gasket

Garrett booster

Copper Head Gasket

On summitracing.com they have SCE gaskets ranging from $70 to $130.
    I've read on other forums that they are reuseable
    Just wanted to confirm this?
    Also they come in .031 .062 .093
    What would be the benefits and disadvantages to each of these sizes??

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Copper Head Gasket

Without O-rings, they will leak.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Without O-rings, they will leak.
    Clarification on the copper head gaskets:

Without orings the entire gasket will leak.

With orings you will leak coolant within a few thousand miles max.

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    Clarification on the copper head gaskets:

Without orings the entire gasket will leak.

With orings you will leak coolant within a few thousand miles max.

-Rich
    Nice, lol.

I have used the .020" Felpro copper shims with no issues.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Nice, lol.

The shim is different than running only the copper gasket.

The shim seals ok on the block side but the regular gasket is still there for the head.

If you run only copper it just doesn't seal the head very well at all. The orings help because they push the gasket into the head around the cylinders but the coolant holes are still a big problem.

Unless you are running a drag car I wouldn't suggest a copper gasket. It is the only gasket that i have ever installed that leaked right away.

-Rich

Garrett booster

. It is the only gasket that i have ever installed that leaked right away.

-Rich
    Same here.

Garrett booster

Nice, lol.

Purpose of shims is to lower compression?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan15 View Post
    Yup. Resurfacing the head, decking the block or an align bore and everything moves closer together.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Correct.

Not sure why Rich and Simon had so much trouble with the copper shims but I ran them for years on my Shelby Lancer and GLHS 991 back in the day without leaking anything. I used a sealant called Gas-Ga-Cinch. It's like a snot yellow glue that seals the gaskets and holds them in place. Clean all the surfaces well, paint a layer of gasgacinch on the block and the underside of the copper shim. let them tack up for 5 minutes or so, assemble. then paint the top of the shim and the underside of the head gasket, let them tack and assemble. Then use copper permatex spray on the top of the headgasket and install the head after it dries for an hour or so. If the head and block are flat, it won't leak. Consider that your cam timing will be out of whack if the distance from the crank to the cam has changed by installing the shim. I used to use the shim to reduce the compression to run more boost but now I just reshape the chamber in the head and the compression goes down some that way.

Why are you considering the shim, has the head been severly milled?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Correct.

Not sure why Rich and Simon had so much trouble with the copper shims but I ran them for years on my Shelby Lancer and GLHS 991 back in the day without leaking anything. I used a sealant called Gas-Ga-Cinch. It's like a snot yellow glue that seals the gaskets and holds them in place. Clean all the surfaces well, paint a layer of gasgacinch on the block and the underside of the copper shim. let them tack up for 5 minutes or so, assemble. then paint the top of the shim and the underside of the head gasket, let them tack and assemble. Then use copper permatex spray on the top of the headgasket and install the head after it dries for an hour or so. If the head and block are flat, it won't leak. Consider that your cam timing will be out of whack if the distance from the crank to the cam has changed by installing the shim. I used to use the shim to reduce the compression to run more boost but now I just reshape the chamber in the head and the compression goes down some that way.

Shims are fine. Using copper as the only head gasket is what causes problems...

-Rich

The shim is different than running only the copper gasket.

The shim seals ok on the block side but the regular gasket is still there for the head.

If you run only copper it just doesn't seal the head very well at all. The orings help because they push the gasket into the head around the cylinders but the coolant holes are still a big problem.

Unless you are running a drag car I wouldn't suggest a copper gasket. It is the only gasket that i have ever installed that leaked right away.

-Rich
    I put out the shim for knowledge as I figured he might ask about them.

Correct.

We are talking about copper only, not a shim and a head gasket. As I said earlier, I use a shim and have no issues,

Garrett booster

No the head hasn't been milled. I was at first interested in the copper head gasket because of the ability to be reused and supposedly prevent any gasket blowouts from high boost. But I don't want to mess with the copper headgasket anymore.
    Then Simon mentioned the shim and I was just making sure I understood the purpose of them.

Alan, Simon, or anyone that has had experience with them, If I plan to run 21 to 24psi would you suggest using a shim to lower compression?

-Daniel

No the head hasn't been milled. I was at first interested in the copper head gasket because of the ability to be reused and supposedly prevent any gasket blowouts from high boost.
    Then Simon mentioned the shim and I was just making sure I understood the purpose of them.

Alan, or anyone that has had experience with them, If I plan to run 21 to 24psi would you suggest using a shim to lower compression?

-Daniel

Honestly, unless you've milled the head a ton, just use a MP 005 head gasket and never look back. I've used Cometic and if used once, they work fine, never had any luck running them again. I will forever use 005's and right now, a shim as my head was milled too much-we miscalculated,

Garrett booster

Honestly, unless you've milled the head a ton, just use a MP 005 head gasket and never look back. I've used Cometic and if used once, they work fine, never had any luck running them again. I will forever use 005's and right now, a shim as my head was milled too much-we miscalculated,
    Would you spray the MP with the permatex copper spray??
    And These will hold up fine to 24psi?

Would you spray the MP with the permatex copper spray??
    And These will hold up fine to 24psi?
    I put them on dry, unless the head has some marks or wear. Its a matter of choice, some swear by it, some don't.

I've put over 30 psi thru them, many others have too. They really are the best bang for the buck.

turbo addict

You have to use o rings around the cylinders, otherwise it won't seal compression. Normal headgaskets have fire rings which put more clamp pressure around the combustion chamber. copper only has a fire ring when you use an O ring.

The current hot product for sealing copper headgaskets (o ringed) is hylomar.
    Use hylomar as instructed during install. Then heat cycle the motor with no coolant and let the engine sit for 24 hours.
    Hylomar is expensive stuff. Don't use copper spray on a copper gasket when trying to do a proper install.

This is the way to make 1000+whp on a +.100" bore 6g72 which is notorious for the cylinder head flexing. Properly installed it should not leak.

Headgasket.com also says that annealing is a pointless procedure when it comes to sealing copper headgaskets.

I have been using copper wire out of electronic wire combined with MLS gaskets and getting great results.
    Cometic gaskets are junk in the world of MLS. Do some googling on them along with "pressure film" and see how they are rubbish.
    For mitsu guys, Stock MLS has a much better fire ring.

turbo addict

Just so we're clear on this, this is the "head saver" shim. 0.020" thick and to be used under a head gasket.

I plan to use a 005 gasket and new bolts, but I'm not sure about the sealer. Like Simon, I ended up with too much compression due to machining. The car detonated like crazy last year, but this should help if the race gas isn't enough.

The instructions say gasket sealer must be used, but they don't tell you what one to use. I have access to gas - ka-cinch as Alan mentioned. I also have access to MoPar spray gasket. The same stuff used to fill in the gaps of the MLS gasket used on neons.