Thread: heater core

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

heater core

Does the car need a thermostat if there's no heater core? I plan on running without it, should I have it anyway?
    Nick G. 1984 Dodge Rampage

turbo addict

Re: heater core

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesismachine View Post
    Does the car need a thermostat if there's no heater core? I plan on running without it, should I have it anyway?
    Yes, it helps the car maintain efficient operating temps as well as limiting the over-heating of the motor believe it or not. The motor is not designed to have a continual flow through the motor because it "needs" that time for the heat exchange to the antifreeze. Is this for a race only application or something?
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

You should connect the hose's like the core is there, it acts like a bypass but if your simply just blasting down the 1/4 and not warming the car up, then nevermind.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

it would never warm up without it.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    it would never warm up without it.
    Actually, it creates hot pockets within the motor and has a strong potential of overheating. The antifreeze is never in a place long enough to transfer the heat from the metal to the liquid. I know it sounds crazy, but it's been proven in many arena's.

http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-...hermostat.html

http://volvoforums.com/forum/archive...p/t-22725.html

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...=230441&page=9

take this next forum with a grain of salt
    http://www.preludeonline.com/f62/dri...mostat-244771/
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

makes sense kinda, but my car with a stuck one warms up after a few hours at idle. really really sucks
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    makes sense kinda, but my car with a stuck one warms up after a few hours at idle. really really sucks
    Stuck is not the same as not there. If it is partially restricted, then that would impede the flow WAY more than if there wasn't one at all. So, yours(stuck at half throttle so to speak) is probably slowing the flow enough to allow "some" heat transfer vs practically none.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    Actually, it creates hot pockets within the motor and has a strong potential of overheating. The antifreeze is never in a place long enough to transfer the heat from the metal to the liquid. I know it sounds crazy, but it's been proven in many arena's.
    I agree with personal experience to back it up. Took the t-stat out of a truck I had and it would overheat sitting at idle. Put a t-stat in and it never did it again.

So I can pull the heater core, but keep the thermostat to allow the car to warm up normally.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesismachine View Post
    So I can pull the heater core, but keep the thermostat to allow the car to warm up normally.
    Yes, but for what it takes to remove a heater core on our cars, I would just disconnect it.....unless you already have the HVAC/DASH out.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by rx2mazda View Post
    Yes, but for what it takes to remove a heater core on our cars, I would just disconnect it.....unless you already have the HVAC/DASH out.
    Damn skippy. That is such a pain to take out. However, if you are going to go through the trouble and don't use your A/C, I'd take that out as well. In fact you could simply remove the entire system under the dash, which would give you TONS of room under there.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I hope this is an extremely high end race only car where the 15 pound gain to remove it is well worth it(1 hp gain MAYBE!). Otherwise, I would just cap off the heater core to keep out gunk(for possible reconnect later), loop the heater hoses together(aka bypass) and roll with it. No need to even touch the thermostat.

What brought this all about may I ask??

I have the dash out already, I was just curious what to do with it next. I know it could be used as a JIC for overheating, but the car's intent was for the track.