Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you auto-x at an SDAC event?

Hybrid booster

Would you auto-x at an SDAC event?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post up your opinions, good or bad, lets hear it!

It's been a few years since we've had an auto-x at an SDAC event, and I'd like to get it back in the works. Afterall, our cars are geared more towards auto-xing then drag racing anyway. For you guys who haven't tried it, you need to!!! If you think drag racing is fun, I'll give you a ride in my Dads GLHT and I think you'll reconsider. Not to mention, this is fairly easy on the car. It's pretty tough to break parts auto-xing, you'll just put a little wear on the tires and brake pads. Anyway, we know there are multiple hurdles in getting this setup, but I've got some help from some people involved in the SCCA and I think we could make this happen.

Venue is one issue. Finding a place thats suitable to hold this type of event, and convincing them to let us use it. I know multiple drag strips that have used their parking lot or staging area for auto-x in the past. I know this won't work at all the tracks we've been at, but it's an option. Or I can contact some of the local clubs and try and get us into one of their usual venues.

Insurance is another issue. I'm working on this. It's not as big of an issue as some may think, but let me see what I can come up with.

Equipment. Timing equipment is fairly expensive, but I've got a couple things going here. I've been talking to a few people about getting some PC based software that could be used. Just have to buy some sensors and probably a PLC to control it all. If I can put togather a good reliable home-built system for a couple hundred bucks, I'll DONATE it to the National SDAC. Otherwise, if you guys are interested, I know a club thats looking to sell their entire setup. This is everything, timing equipment, cones, flags, the whole works. It's about $4k worth of stuff, but the guy who owns it wants it gone like yesterday. He said $900 takes it. I've seen the equipment, it's very very nice. If we can get some people to all chip in, we can pool our money and buy it as a club and it will be property of the National SDAC. If you guys are interested, LET ME KNOW!! I'll throw in the first $100 myself, and I'll donate my time/gas to go pick everything up. This would be sweet, because it would be owned by SDAC, and could be used every year.

Cost. Participant cost should be able to be kept fairly low. I would think we could do it for somewhere in the $30-$40 range per car.

Sponsorship. Maybe we could see if we can get a Shelby/Dodge vendor involed. I know certain venders have sponsored certain parts of SDAC in the past, maybe we can get someone to help out here? Or help with some equipment costs or venue/insurance costs? Venders, if you're interested, speak up...

So... What do you guys/gals think? Are you interested? Is this a waste of my time, trying to get this all going? I'm really looking for some feedback here. Thoughts? Questions? Ideas? Things I missed? Proposals? Donations? Comments? Concerns?

LETS HEAR IT!!!!

Re: Would you auto-x at an SDAC event?

I agree that auto-x is an awesome experience. While I've only done it once I'd definately do it more. Wish I had done it before I sold my ACR SRT-4.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I also wish I had not sold my ACR srt4 but my wife didnt like it.That said I also sold my SRT/10 Viper truck for the same reason. Wow I just figuered out she hates cars. I have never auto crossed but my problem would be I live in california and every event SDAC holds is in the east coast. I think it would be good for the club to own the equipment though. How about those who pitch in get free life time event entry. Say 100 dollar equipment buy in. plus if you hold it in a drag strip parking lot open the strip up to like the shelby birthday the first year. If you will do that I will put in 100 for the equipment and even show up where ever it is held this year. I love to drag racing auto cross could be fun but doing both woud make it worth the towing and exspence. I would also suggest holding the Event in Las Vegas some time nice facility.
    Last edited by amoparacer; 01-11-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: SP

Quote Originally Posted by amoparacer View Post
    I also wish I had not sold my ACR srt4 but my wife didnt like it.That said I also sold my SRT/10 Viper truck for the same reason. Wow I just figuered out she hates cars. I have never auto crossed but my problem would be I live in california and every event SDAC holds is in the east coast. I think it would be good for the club to own the equipment though. How about those who pitch in get free life time event entry. Say 100 dollar equipment buy in. plus if you hold it in a drag strip parking lot open the strip up to like the shelby birthday the first year. If you will do that I will put in 100 for the equipment and even show up where ever it is held this year. I love to drag racing auto cross could be fun but doing both woud make it worth the towing and exspence. I would also suggest holding the Event in Las Vegas some time nice facility.
    When I met my wife she had two girls and I have my two so we needed a better family car than the SRT-4.

Hybrid booster

who wouldn't want the chance to race their car?? I wasn't able to run mine last year as it was just not ready yet....but I would really like to.

I am not working ( since may) but would donate to the cause to raise the needed funds!

count me in!
    Gene

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I would, depending on which car I brought to SDAC. Oddly enough, I would be more prone to do it the farther it was from home. If SDAC is a longer distance from home, I'd likely bring the SRT-4 and would enjoy autocrossing it. If it's close, I will trailer the Horizon, which is not suited to autocross at all.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I would, depending on which car I brought to SDAC. Oddly enough, I would be more prone to do it the farther it was from home. If SDAC is a longer distance from home, I'd likely bring the SRT-4 and would enjoy autocrossing it. If it's close, I will trailer the Horizon, which is not suited to autocross at all.
    You should run whatever you bring. Years back, I autocrossed a worn out suspensioned Spirit R/T on cheapo all seasons. Leaning all over the place, it was still fun.

I know that there are hurdles to make it happen, but I really believe that SDAC conventions need to get back to having two driving events. The fun in these cars is driving them to thier limit. SDAC should be the event to do it, both in a straight line and while turning.

That being said, I will definitely autocross if there is one. No question.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    You should run whatever you bring. Years back, I autocrossed a work out suspensioned Spirit R/T on cheapo all seasons. Leaning all over the palce, it was still fun.

That being said, I will definitely autocross if there is one. No question.
    I suppose it could be fun either way... as long as there is PLENTY of run off area.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Mark,

Autocrossing is so much fun! I am all for one at a national SDAC event. There is issues with it working out at these events I am told. The last one (years ago) loosing a lot of money for one? I would think the most economical way to do it is contacting the local SCCA club where ever SDAC is going to be held and work with them on an autocross. Either we join them in an event they are having or they put on an event for us using their equipment, a couple of their guys to run the show and our labor to help.
    I emailed last year to find out about autocrosses near the SDAC and found one was going on at the same time. I let every one know about it and only one or two others showed up. This might be a good thing, as it was not a SCCA event and not very safe.
    Mark, you want to talk to Barry? You want to see if you can talk to the SCCA club? You want to be the organizer of the event for SDAC? Because I think Barry is not interested in making it happen. If you took control and worked with him, I am sure he would work with you.

"IF" it worked out that buying our own equipment was a good thing (not likely), of course I would love to help purchase it.

Johnny
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Hybrid booster

Yes, I have spoken with Barry a couple times recently about this. He agrees that it would be fun, but the costs are too great for the club to consume. The last time they had an autox, which I think was SDAC13, they lost money on it. I wouldn't have a problem helping and try to organize it, and I agree with you Johnny as it will probably on our own effort. I have some contact info for some Gettysburg/Carlisle area SCCA guys, so I can try and move forward with this.

I just wanted to see what people were thinking, if this was a waste of time or if you guys think we should really try and do this. Of course I want to do it, but there needs to be a fair amount of interest from other people in the crowd, or it's not worth it...

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22
    If it's close, I will trailer the Horizon, which is not suited to autocross at all.
    I remember at SDAC-8 we had an autocross at the drag strip on drag day. Cliff Sebring ran the Silver Bullet in the autocross on his drag slicks. That may not be the optimum tire to run an autocross with, but with the nitrous shot he was running, he needed the slicks on every straight part of the course as he lit the tires up every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Mark, you want to talk to Barry? You want to see if you can talk to the SCCA club? You want to be the organizer of the event for SDAC? Because I think Barry is not interested in making it happen. If you took control and worked with him, I am sure he would work with you.
    Johnny I take offense at your statement above claiming my lack interest in making it happen.

EVERY year we investigate holding an autocross and road course event. That's right, EVERY YEAR.

Mark doesn't really live in the area of SDAC-20 and we already have folks looking into an autocross. Those planning folks in the area of SDAC-20 have already been in touch with the local SCCA region. And as usual they are not all that enthused in holding an event just for us (especially in our schedule). That said, there might be an autocross on the Saturday we start our event. But how many will travel out a day early just to autocross? That remains to be seen.

I am all for track events, both road course and autocross. But both of those are too expensive for us to hold on our own with the number of participants we will get. Heck, drag racing has nearly priced itself out of our events as it is, just barely breaking even and we are charging $70 or more per car to race.

In order to have an autocross we MUST have the cooperation of the local SCCA region. To get on their insurance policy they must run the event for us at a site approved by them. The last time that happened was at SDAC-13. We approach them every year, and every year we get turned down. Maybe this year will be different. We can only hope so.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

boostaholic

I'd love to do an auto x event with my srt.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

turbo addict

The auto X that the local Cincinnati club put on was great. We had a blast there. It was on the Saturday though so there was only a few of us that showed.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

Im in! Yes SDAC 13 auto X was awesome!!
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

If I brought the van, I'd do it for sure,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 30 PSI SHADOW View Post
    Im in! Yes SDAC 13 auto X was awesome!!
    Somewhere I got pics or video of your phenominal cone tipping and re-setting action!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

LOL! yes its on the video Jonny B made of the event..
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    89 CSX #269 59k

summit point is almost close enough wink wink...
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    89 CSX #269 59k

turbo addict

Johnny I take offense at your statement above claiming my lack interest in making it happen.
    No reason to, I just thought since it was a money looser the last time, you were not interested, and I totally understand.

EVERY year we investigate holding an autocross and road course event. That's right, EVERY YEAR.
    I did not know that, thank you for trying every year!!

Johnny
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

turbo addict

I am planning on bringing my turbo Plymouth wagon with the SDAC engine in it.
    I would love to show it, drag race it and autocross it.

Here is a challenge for all that would autocross, can you beat the "family" k-car station wagon?

Johnny

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast