Thread: Want to know how many L-bodies they made?

turbo addict

Want to know how many L-bodies they made?

I had some time to kill yesterday, so I dragged out a book that has production numbers. I won't bore you with the details, but here are some of the final #'s. Note these #'s are only as good as the info. printed, but they should be very close. I doubt these #'s include Rampages and Scamps but it's possible. Note in 1981 the miser option was a combination of 2 and 4 doors, so a calculation had to be made to breakdown the 2/4 doors for that year. Production numbers do include Shelby #'ed cars.

Total of 2,456,783 total 4 and 2 door l-bodies made. That's 2.45 million! What happened to all of them?
    1,625,426 4 doors. 66% of total. or 1.62 million.
    831,357 2 door L-bodies made. 34% of total or .83 million.
    54% of 4 doors were Plymouths
    46% of 4 doors were Dodges
    The only year Dodge 4 doors out sold Plymouth was the last year in 1990. By less than 500 cars!

Conversely, the Dodges slightly out sold the Plymouths in the 2 door variety.
    49.5% of 2 doors were Plymouths
    50.5% of 2 doors were Dodges

4 door base prices ranged from a low of $3976 (78 4 door) & to a high of $7918 (86 GLH N/A)
    2 door base prices $4482 (79 2 door) & to a high of $9840 (87 S/C) Obviously excludes Shelby #'ed cars, and all options, taxes, destination charges, etc.

Prices on 4 doors went down in 1987 by $710 to $5499 with the introduction of the America version. That was ironically the same price as a 82 Miser! What a strategy to sell cars, fight inflation and gain market share! Too bad it came at the expense of the GLH option.
    Happy new year everyone!
    Todd
    Last edited by 4 l-bodies; 01-01-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: delete repeated word

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Want to know how many L-bodies they made?

I want to know how many P bodies were made. Think I found it somewhere but that was a long time ago.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I had some time to kill yesterday, so I dragged out a book that has production numbers......
    Just the guy I need to do some extra research for me!!!!

I ordered new a 84 4 dr Horizon with the HO motor and close ratio tranny....I also ordered it with no A/C and radio delete. The car (Matchbox) was originally silver.

Can you research total numbers with this combo? I was told 84 total HORIZONS were made but a number of 4 dr vs 2 dr was not available. I am willing to pay you a bit for your work...scanning pages that prove the numbers built with this combo would be GREATLY appreciated too!!

35 time NHRA/IHRA Drag Race Champ
    05 SRT4 / S2 / 12.87 @ 110 / DOTs
    05 Mustang V6 / wifes / 15.17 @ 92 BONE stock
    96 Geo Metro / 3 cyl - 1 ltr - 55 hp / 19.84 @ 66
    84 Horizon / used to run 13's no power adders

turbo addict

Angelo,
    I wish I could help you. I pulled this info from a published book, not something from Mopar. Unfortunately, it doesn't break down numbers that far. Just gives basic info. on each model year. It does mention that the HO motor was available on base Horizon/Turismo and SE cars, but nothing else.
    It does list the Turismo 2.2 (which had the HO motor) with a production of 10,881 for 1984. Does not breakdown base Turismo/Horizons which received the HO motor. It does list that the HO motors cost was $256 on the base cars. 5 spd. transmission cost was $75. It also lists a HD suspension available for the Horizon 4 door for $36.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    Just the guy I need to do some extra research for me!!!!

I ordered new a 84 4 dr Horizon with the HO motor and close ratio tranny....I also ordered it with no A/C and radio delete. The car (Matchbox) was originally silver.

Can you research total numbers with this combo? I was told 84 total HORIZONS were made but a number of 4 dr vs 2 dr was not available. I am willing to pay you a bit for your work...scanning pages that prove the numbers built with this combo would be GREATLY appreciated too!!

"....... That's 2.45 million! What happened to all of them?..........."

exactly.

i recall the late 80's here in CT you literally could not drive anywhere, even a short ride, w/o seeing an Omni or Horizon. it was impossible. one day as i sat in my 85 GLHT at a busy interesection of two major roads in Vernon, CT i looked around and every single car sitting at the intersection was either an Omni or a Horizon. there must have been 15-20 L44's at this intersection for that brief moment in time. amazing.

i also read that only 84 of the 1984 Horizons w/ the HO engine were produced.

on the subject of highest MSRP for the L44 (other than the GLHS), wouldnt that be a loaded 1985 or 1986 GLH Turbo? i seem to recall an MSRP w/ all of the possible Omni options added to the GLH Turbo topping out at around 9 grand.....like $9250 or something close to that.

turbo addict

Dang!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS;603620[QUOTE
    One day as i sat in my 85 GLHT at a busy interesection of two major roads in Vernon, CT i looked around and every single car sitting at the intersection was either an Omni or a Horizon. there must have been 15-20 L44's at this intersection for that brief moment in time. amazing.
    I would have loved to have seen that!

on the subject of highest MSRP for the L44 (other than the GLHS), wouldn't that be a loaded 1985 or 1986 GLH Turbo? i seem to recall an MSRP w/ all of the possible Omni options added to the GLH Turbo topping out at around 9 grand.....like $9250 or something close to that.
    Marcus,
    Yes you would be correct. A 86 GLH was the highest base at $7918. Loaded with turbo, A/C, rear wiper, AM-FM cassette, light group, protection pkg, full size spare, rear wiper/washer and rear defrost. Add another $300 for destination charge and a fully loaded GLHT sticker would be slightly over $10,500.

My 85 non A/C GLHT had a sticker of $9316. Cassette, defrost, rear wiper. Most A/C equipped GLHT's were at least $9500 in 85. +300 more for 1986's.
    Todd

Garrett booster

My parents bought a new 83 Omni 2.2/auto with every option available at the time (rather than that BEAUTIFUL blue/silver SC sitting on the showroom floor). Anyway, I have sticker for that car around here somewhere, and it was somewhere around $9200.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Most have become one with the earth again.

Hybrid booster

Sadly, yes. Every week there's a new Omni or Horizon that pops in the wrecking yard. Makes one wonder how many are left on the road today.... I'm keeping one alive and well

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    Most have become one with the earth again.
    ...in Dave's back yard

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

They make nice flower pots.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadian007 View Post
    Sadly, yes. Every week there's a new Omni or Horizon that pops in the wrecking yard. Makes one wonder how many are left on the road today.... I'm keeping one alive and well
    Well if you are seeing one in the wrecking yard every week your probably in better shape than the rest of North America. It's been a couple years since I last seen a 2 door charger in a salvage yard in MN. 4 doors probably average 1 every few months around here. Sadly most are long gone...
    Then there is the salvage yard a couple hours west of the Twin Cities that has at least 60 Omnis, Chargers, Rampages, and all of them are junk. Mostly old 78-82 style. Weeds so high around them you have to walk on the roofs of the cars to get from car to car. Animals, reptiles, and Lord knows what, rustling around in the weeds beneath you. My face was 8" away from a milk snake last time there. Orange and black snakes are not too common in MN. Not sure who was more suprised me or the snake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	milk snake.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	19654  

Hybrid booster

There's actually an older gentleman who lives outside the city and he has, no word of a lie, over 20 L-body cars in his yard, along with a few Daytonas, Shadows and Chevettes. He bought them from auctions over the past 10-15 years with the intent on putting them together and making a running car, but alas, he's old and unable and never got to them. He's only interested in selling the vehicles whole, which is how I bought a complete parts car for my Horizon after an old lady hit me. I'll post some pics next time I drop by there.

First time I saw it, I thought I'd died and gone to Horizon Heaven

Cheers, TheCanadian

turbo addict

I came across a rather nice looking electric blue 90 omni 5 speed in the local yard a year or so ago. It was quite tragic as it was crushed in a couple weeks.. They pulled the motor and the rest I guess was worthless. That place never has anything though. they basically buy a vehicle for the engine or something. was tragic to say the least. Oddly a yard in a similar location but not the same one has a maroon 89 that has a shot body but hasn't been crushed in over a year. It makes no sense.