Thread: RH brake lights no work.

RH brake lights no work.

I have a '89 Lebaron GTS which the brake lights on RH side do not work. This car has two brake lights on each side. Parking lights work, four way flashers work, and turn signal works ( including the RH ones ). So to recap the bulbs on RH side work, just ONLY when the brake lighs are applied they do not come on.
    I think this makes it easier to track down because it probably should be one wire that is bad. Right ? Anybody know which color wire that would be ?

Thanks,
    Jim

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: RH brake lights no work.

I would identify the bulb which is not working and then inspect the bulb socket. If it is anything like the problem I was having in my shadow, the ground for the bulb socket is bad and will need to be replaced, or a new socket put in it's place.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Yeah, its gotta be a ground or socket or wiring if the bulb flashes with the turn signal.

+1 for starting with the socket as thats the most common place for corrosion or a bad connection to form.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Well I took out bulbs and cleaned up sockets and put in some dielectric grease and they NOW work. It still kind of strange that both bulbs on Rh side would go out at same time. And yet the turn signal lit but not the brake lights on RH side. So good to go for now.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Did the sockets look corroded or burned? Keep an eye on them...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Sounds like a bad turn signal switch. Check to see if you have power on the brown/red wire at the turn signal switch when pushing on the brake pedal. The brown/red is what feeds the right rear turn/stop lights.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Did the sockets look corroded or burned? Keep an eye on them...
    +1 Blakemore was having some horrible troubles which I traced to bad sockets for the bulbs on the back end. Bad things were a-brewin' in that car for sure.

Sockets were good. Even had the factory grease in them. Cleaned that up and put in some dielectric grease.
    Good to know brown/ red wire could be the issue.
    For now it's working, though.

The brown/red is only at the turn signal switch then changes to black/tan. The brake lights first goes thru the turn signal switch. Remember that the turn signal switch also cancels the brake lights also. And those sockets do suck. Change them first time they start to give trouble.

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

The sockets are a poor design, usually they don't look corroded but there is a bad contact between the ground wire and the socket. The way the ground connects it's just snapped into the plastic socket with a little spring tension holding contact to the outside of the socket, over time it gets corroded or pitted where the ground connects and lighting issues result. Without a good ground sometimes the light grounds back through the parking light circuit or by some other means.

Jim, if the issue happens again try using a 2x4 to hold the brake lights on and go back and wiggle the ground wires on the socket to see if affects them.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Actually I used some bricks to hold down the brake pedal. And I did wiggle the wires, but no change. They are working for now.
    if I have any more problems I'll let you know. By the way do you know the color of the ground wire ?

The rear sockets ground are gray. Best to solider the ground wire right to the socket.