Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 79 RWD 2.5 Colt

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: 79 RWD 2.5 Colt

50 trim turbonetics to start and get it all running and road worthy, I have a t67 garret I am going to try on it later, probably have to get it going with a little bottle im thinking?
    Probably... what exhaust wheel and housing is it? I have a t67 with a .96 a/r and p-trim wheel, i dont think it would EVER spool on any 2.5 i own. I know they make put much smaller housings on some of them.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

Here is the t67 specs, i have both .82 and .63 hot side for it

T3/T67 Turbo
    [T-T3/T67]$1,060.00
    Click to enlarge

The infamous T3/T67 is the most powerful "T3/T4" turbocharger on the market today. This turbo is meant for anyone who has a T3 setup looking to make SERIOUS power. Used on the worlds most poweful pump gas S2000, and many low 10 second street civics. For external wastegate only.
    Compressor Specifications:
    -T04R 67mm compressor wheel with a max flow rate of 75 lb/min
    -0.70AR T04S compressor housing
    -Good to 650whp Turbine Specifications:
    -stage 5 turbine wheel
    -0.63 or 0.82 A/R. turbine housing available
    -4 bolt standard turbine discharge CHRA Specifications:
    -360 degree thrust bearing standard.
    -Oil cooled&lubricated center section.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

It was on a buddies eclipse here in colorado springs< his car made 567 awhp here with it(2.4l 4g63)

ok so yours is a t3 turbine side with a stg5 wheel and you have a .63 housing for it. That's going to be tough on that engine but the loose converter will help. What was the spool like on the 2.4L?

The upside is it will make as much power as you'll probably ever want to.

boostaholic

With the .63 hot side on it it would start making boost at 2500, he ran 30 psi as max boost. I know it would suck as a street turbo on an 8 Valve but with the converter and tranny brake it would probably be ok(maybe?). He bought the .82 hotside for it, but hated how it lagged on the street. I probably will never use it for the steet, but my turbo is so easy to swap out that i am gonna try it at the strip once I get the car running and driving.

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

I know the 50 trim turbo I have on the car is not the best one to have on it either....

If it spooled on the 2.4 that early, maybe it wont be too bad on yours. The 2.4 probably had a little higher compression and a little better flow, but probably not by much at that rpm. Id be interested to find out how it does on yours.

As for the 50 trim, maybe its not the best, depends on your goals, but its definitely not bad! As long as its a stg2 or 3 turbine it ought to be a good all-arounder until you want to make 400+hp.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    If it spooled on the 2.4 that early, maybe it wont be too bad on yours. The 2.4 probably had a little higher compression and a little better flow, but probably not by much at that rpm. Id be interested to find out how it does on yours.

As for the 50 trim, maybe its not the best, depends on your goals, but its definitely not bad! As long as its a stg2 or 3 turbine it ought to be a good all-arounder until you want to make 400+hp.
    Thats about what I figured, it is all the stuff from the cargo, that ran 13.17 in denver. With the better exhaust header and 4" plenum and full 3" exhaust, and 750+ less weight, 904 trans and converter and rwd it should be fun, I should be able to launch on a good amount of bottle also without crossing my fingers

I just realized i have an 87 dakota with a 3.9/auto in it that im thinking about 2.5 swapping, so let me know if you get some kind of adapter plates thing rolling. Id like to swap to 5spd but if the adapter plate is cheaper i'd definitely consider it.

boostaholic

My buddy has a bellhousing in his oval track car, small block mopar to t5 Mustang tranny, so really with my adapter you should be able to put that 5 speed behind a 2.2/2.5, just have to use a hemi/ 440+6 flywheel I think

the only 5spd swap id do would probably be the factory one, and even that is iffy.. i guess i just dont want the 5spd that bad unless i come across a parts truck for $200-300.. But if i could buy the 2.5 adapter for something reasonable id just go that way for simplicity, and that way my fiancee would not refuse to drive it too. hahah

Garrett booster

lovin the colt! kinda wish ida turbo/4'd mine. i did a 360/727/8-3/4. had to stiffen up the suspension and fab subframe connectors (along with everything else) but it hooks awesome. didnt wanna cut it up,so i had the local spring shop make me an extra leaf for each side. that raised the rear enough to allow for 26x8.5-15's on draglights. no rub whatsoever. one of the front coils broke while i was trailering it to the muffler shop...so i pirated the struts off a later model z24 cavalier. filled the cartridges with fresh oil. i cut the lower spring mount off the cav strut,and welded it on top of the colt's. used the springs also. you'd have to see it leave to believe it. even with that heavy small block-it raises the front,plants the rear...and stays that way until i let off after it goes through the traps. i expect your traction to excellent with a lil effort.
    love the colts....just dont break that windshield! there aint one to be had anywhere!
    would love to show pics of mine...but they wont let me post pics for some reason.

boostaholic

Cool, I would love to see pictures, you can email them to milkcarton7@gmail.com

Garrett booster

how is it coming along? i have a 77 colt i am thinking about doing this to. but then i also have a 1962 dodge lancer that i am tossing around. just can't decide for the lancer its between the new hemi or the 4g63t. i don't know..... it'd be cool though

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

sweet plog! keep the pics and updates coming.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

boostaholic

I will post some pictures up, coming along good, I installed a complete van wiring, sold the mega squirt. I am working on fuel lines, brake lines and steering linkage

boostaholic

Wow almost 10 year update, running and driving, feels pretty good, 23 psi on E85.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

excellent
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I think a burnout video would make us feel better.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

I got to see the car in person. Very nice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123