Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lbody turbo or TBI harness

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Lbody turbo or TBI harness

Looking for an Lbody Turbo Harness, or a TBI harness that I can convert to SMEC turbo.

Let me know what you got. Thanks.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Lbody turbo or TBI harness

Under hood or all? I have an 89 TBI Omni one that I believe is complete, minus the alternator harness. I'll try and get some pics tommorrow.
    George "Fuzz" Sharp [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [QUOTE=Big_P;599305]TD's to me are like crack to Billy Mays.[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I have the main engine harness for a 87 SC I am parting out.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Looking for an Lbody Turbo Harness, or a TBI harness that I can convert to SMEC turbo.

Let me know what you got. Thanks.
    whats needed to convert a TBI engine harness, to turbo SMEC???

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I did that to an '88 Horizon TBI harness once. You basically take all these components from a (preferably) '88 TII harness and graft them into the TBI harness.

http://www.turbosedan.com/jerm/imcar...layHarness.jpg

Looks daunting at first but for anybody with a basic understanding of Chrysler wiring and fuel injection it is tedious but pretty straightforward. You end up with a turbo harness configured for the L-body so in the end it's a more elegant solution than say, putting a turbo Caravan harness in an Omni (which I've also done). Very similar to the old S60 harness MP used to offer.

Here is a pic of mine when it was done.

http://www.turbosedan.com/jerm/imcar.../Overview2.jpg

Hybrid booster

Mike, grab an Omni TBI under dash and fuel tank harness and a turbo Mini engine harness. Move the high and low speeds on the wipers and you are done. That's what I did for my Rampage.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by W.P._Turbocars View Post
    Mike, grab an Omni TBI under dash and fuel tank harness and a turbo Mini engine harness. Move the high and low speeds on the wipers and you are done. That's what I did for my Rampage.
    That sounds like a good plan. Unfortunately none of those items exactly grow on trees around here, but I will keep my eyes out!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by W.P._Turbocars View Post
    Mike, grab an Omni TBI under dash and fuel tank harness
    *off topic* I'm planning on converting my sc to smec, I already grabbed the smec/l-body dash harness, what is the reason to grab the fuel tank harness? Should I go back and get it?
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

I know everybody has their way of doing things, but one thing I can't figure out is why a lot of people say you need the underdash wiring for any swap? I've converted a n/a GLH and a GLH Turbo to SMEC, and also my SL to SBEC and never did I have to poke around under the dash. On my n/a GLH it was easy to find the wire already existed for the fuel pump, just had to extend it to the back of the car via the grommet under the rear seat like stock.

Quote Originally Posted by jl93sundance View Post
    *off topic* I'm planning on converting my sc to smec, I already grabbed the smec/l-body dash harness, what is the reason to grab the fuel tank harness? Should I go back and get it?
    If your car was originally carbed, you'll need the fuel pump harness. It goes from under the dash, down under the carpet, and then exits the car through a grommet under the rear seat. I used one from an '88 Omni w/TBI.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    If your car was originally carbed, you'll need the fuel pump harness. It goes from under the dash, down under the carpet, and then exits the car through a grommet under the rear seat. I used one from an '88 Omni w/TBI.
    Thanks for the info,I'm good to go then since it's already a turbo.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I know everybody has their way of doing things, but one thing I can't figure out is why a lot of people say you need the underdash wiring for any swap? I've converted a n/a GLH and a GLH Turbo to SMEC, and also my SL to SBEC and never did I have to poke around under the dash. On my n/a GLH it was easy to find the wire already existed for the fuel pump, just had to extend it to the back of the car via the grommet under the rear seat like stock.
    I have done a few of these myself and the reason I always used the 88 dash harness is it pluggs into the 88 tbi bulkhead connector with tbi harness to upgrade to turbo harness. I also have choped off the tbi harness leaving about 1 ft. to attach a turbo harness to. I could have attached a turbo harness to the carb bulkhead connector with the same 1 ft. extension but I have always found the tbi bulkhead connector to be in better condition. Now I feel both dumb but happy to learn the 89 Turbo mini is a direct fit to the tbi bulkhead connector. This would have saved considerable work but I thought the L body was the only model to use a bulkhead connector after 88. Are there any other models with a bulkhead connector aftert 88?? Any I have seen and used as donors ( Daytona, Shadow etc) always had the harness just pass through the firewall grommet and attach under the dash. So you are right you don't have to poke around under the dash, and I'm not recomending any one do this, but after learning about the 89 mini harness my next one will be this way. I have already made a harness for my next project but have a couple of extra turbo mini's and one can donate it's harness to the Omni.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Are there any other models with a bulkhead connector aftert 88?? Thanks
    Randy
    i went to my storage to get my injector harness and alt harness for my Aries and I swear I pulled these two sub harnesses from an 89 turbo H body harness. It had a bulkhead connector on it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Mike theres a pretty complete omni in a yard by me..I think it was TBI.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

i have an 86 TI shelby charger turbo I harness complete underhood, interior and taillight section even.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I just took my S60 style '89 SMEC harness out of my 87 GLHS if anyone is interested. It was completely rebuilt and has probably 100 miles on it since then. I will include the alternator harness and it uses an lbody starter harness. I would like $275 shipped for it.

It is a smec harness that has an 40 pin lbody bulkhead connector on it (89 turbo harness cut off at the bulkhead and reattached to an lbody bulkhead).

All splices were soldered and shrink wrapped. The wire loom is also wrapped in non stick vinyl so that it won't soak up any oil or get sticky...

This harness is plug and play with the stock 87 and older lbody dash wiring.
    The only thing you might need to add is the fuel pump wires from the dash to the tank.

I took it out in favor of running a 50 pin bulkhead harness with Megasquirt. I wanted to have the extra pins so that I could feed the megasquirt signals through the bulkhead (there weren't enough on a the 40 pin connector) instead of having to make another bulkhead connection.

-Rich

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I have done a few of these myself and the reason I always used the 88 dash harness is it pluggs into the 88 tbi bulkhead connector with tbi harness to upgrade to turbo harness. I also have choped off the tbi harness leaving about 1 ft. to attach a turbo harness to. I could have attached a turbo harness to the carb bulkhead connector with the same 1 ft. extension but I have always found the tbi bulkhead connector to be in better condition. Now I feel both dumb but happy to learn the 89 Turbo mini is a direct fit to the tbi bulkhead connector. This would have saved considerable work but I thought the L body was the only model to use a bulkhead connector after 88. Are there any other models with a bulkhead connector aftert 88?? Any I have seen and used as donors ( Daytona, Shadow etc) always had the harness just pass through the firewall grommet and attach under the dash. So you are right you don't have to poke around under the dash, and I'm not recomending any one do this, but after learning about the 89 mini harness my next one will be this way. I have already made a harness for my next project but have a couple of extra turbo mini's and one can donate it's harness to the Omni.

Thanks
    Randy
    I think the 88 or 89 lancer and lebaron GTS also have the lbody style 50 pin bulkhead that attaches at the firewall from the engine bay rather than inside of the car.

-Rich

I have an '88 Lancer Shelby harness. It has the 50-pin bulkhead but it attaches to the underdash harness under the dash with the large grommet on the firewall. My brother's old '89 TII/A555 GTS was the same way.

I ran into that problem when I was originally going to use it to convert my '87 Shelby Lancer to SMEC. The '88 LS underhood harness had a female plug, but so did the firewall mounted bulkhead on my '87 SL so they would not plug together. I also had a '91 GTC harness that had the same thing so I just used that instead and went with the SBEC. I simply cut off the female bulkhead off the GTC harness and replaced with the male bulkhead from my SL's original harness and that was 95% of the swap right there.

Thanks
    Randy
    So from the sounds of it, others are swapping dash harnesses to get the bulkheads to match? I've always thought it was more work to pull the dash apart and swap all that out so I just cut and splice the right bulkhead on. I always solder the wires and use heatshrink too; you can't even tell it was swapped once all the loom is back on.

But yeah, an '89 turbo Caravan harness would be a fairly easy swap on an '88-'89 TBI Omni/Horizon as the bulkheads would already be compatible. I'm not sure about the pinout config but I wouldn't be surprised if they were already very close other than option content of the two vehicles.

I have a '90 Omni TBI underhood harness that I'm going to use in my GLH soon. For that I'm going to use a 50-to-40 pin bulkhead adapter I made from junk harness parts. I made it several years ago to test the '88 Omni TII harness I made in my '86 GLH Turbo. It is about 12" long and interfered with the clutch cable so I'm just going to shorten it down. The nice thing is that I won't have to modify the harness itself, I can just change/match up the pinout within the adapter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast