Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No spark issue with 87 TII Z

No spark issue with 87 TII Z

Swapped a few pieces underhood to see if I could resolve the lack of spark. I thought for sure a known good Power Module was going to make a difference but that didn't help.

I've tried 2 different HEP's, but they aren't actually known to be good.

When I turn the key on, the fuel pump primes, but when it cranks there doesn't seem to be power to the coil. No fault codes other than a #12
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Re: No spark issue with 87 TII Z

The fuel pump and coil should be getting the same 12V power feed, Coil is fired by the computer switching it to ground.

Is there 12V at the coil when you first turn the key on?

Do you know anybody with a car you could borrow a known good HEP from?
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Well I was gonna grab a known good HEP from one of my running cars if it got to that point...but I know the fuel pump is working, and I realize they both run through the ASD so I was scratching my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Is there 12V at the coil when you first turn the key on?
    No

Am I correct in believing a power module from a 87 TI car will work with a TII car?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Am I correct in believing a power module from a 87 TI car will work with a TII car?
    Any 85-87 Turbo power module should work
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Have a helper around so you can check for power like Dave suggested. If power, then it's a wiring issue from the LM or a bad computer on the neg side. If no power, check wiring, fusible links. Any codes after messing around?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Nah no codes yet...I was surprised when I jumpered the coil and I still didn't have spark...how much does the LM have to do with spark?

Can u point me towards some info on how to check fusible links?

LM does quite a bit so if it is bad or connections to it are corroded that could be part of it.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

The LM tells the PM to fire the coil... so it does have a lot to do with it... but if the LM has an issue like that it should set a code.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/electrical-links.html

Also here is good info on the power feed for the coil and fuel pump.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/ele...owerfeeds.html

Now you need to check the Z1 feed. The Z1 feed supplies power to the ignition coil, fuel pump and fuel injectors. If you have a 1987 or earlier vehicle, the Z1 feed comes right out of the power module (the ASD relay is inside). On later models, the Z1 feed comes from the ASD Relay.

* Turn the ignition key to the "on" position.
    * With the negative probe of your meter grounded to the chassis or negative battery terminal, connect the positive probe to Z1 supply to the ignition coil (may be dark green and may be with a black stripe...consult your wiring diagrams).
    * Have someone crank the engine while you watch the meter. As the engine is cranked, 12V should appear on the coil.
    * Repeat the test for the fuel injectors and the fuel pump. Stick the positive probe into the fuel injector connector by the rail to measure there. For the fuel pump, measure the voltage at the fuse panel by pulling the fuse and testing on each of the two contacts.
    * If you find the voltage at every place where you saw that wire, then your Z1 feed is probably good.
    * If you only measured it in some spots but not others, then you probably have a bad splice. Consult your wiring diagrams for exact Z1 splice location on your vehicle.
    * If you couldn't measure it anywhere, then your Z1 feed from the ASD relay is the problem.
    * Connect the positive probe from your meter to the positive battery terminal and use the negative probe to test the ASD control line. If you have a 1987 or earlier vehicle, this wire leads to the power module (pin 5 of the 12-way connector, dark blue with a yellow stripe). Try to push the probe through the back of the connector into the contact. If you have a later model, you can disconnect the ASD relay and connect the probe there.
    * Have someone crank the engine. While the engine is cranked, 12V should appear at the relay control line.
    * If a voltage appeared, then your relay is probably bad, but you may want to check the connections. Verify that the power module or relay is getting the J2 feed and that the Z1 output makes a good connection. If you have a power module, the entire module has to be replaced. If you are good with electronics, the unit can be disassembled and the relay replaced (with some difficulty). Otherwise, just replace the relay.
    * If no voltage appeared, then it is likely that the computer is not seeing a signal from the ignition reference sensor. You may want to consider replacing it. Be sure that you have good connections at the sensor. The contacts in those two round connectors are prone to getting loose. Be sure that the cables to the sensor are properly secured so that they don't swing around and damage the wires inside.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nah no codes yet...I was surprised when I jumpered the coil and I still didn't have spark...how much does the LM have to do with spark?

Easy way to check a fusible link is give it a little tug. The link will come apart if it is bad and sometimes the wire next to the link is corroded and you'll see the insulation stretch...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Easy way to check a fusible link is give it a little tug. The link will come apart if it is bad and sometimes the wire next to the link is corroded and you'll see the insulation stretch...
    Yep, but since the fuel pump is coming on and the coil and pump share the same power feed I'm thinking it's not a fusible link.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Gotcha... so its in the Hall Effect circuit or LM then?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Dang...I was just outside in the driveway trying to figure out how to jumper the fuel pump through the relay on a 91+ Daytona (underhood fuse block)...it's friggen cold out there! The 30+ mph wind cuts right through you!

Was hoping to go out to the unheated storage building and fiddle with the Z a little more, but sitting under the blanket and watching TV sounds a little more appealing

1992 (3) Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed
    1991 Dodge Shadow Convertible, Blue TI auto
    1990 Plymouth Voyager LX, White TII 5 speed
    1987 Daytona Shelby Z, Charcoal TII
    1987 Chrysler Town & Country wagon, Tan/Woodgrain TII auto
    1987 Shelby GLHS #454

Gotta be one good HEP in this stockpile. lol

Aww... is Paul too cold to go outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    1992 (3) Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed
    1991 Dodge Shadow Convertible, Blue TI auto
    1990 Plymouth Voyager LX, White TII 5 speed
    1987 Daytona Shelby Z, Charcoal TII
    1987 Chrysler Town & Country wagon, Tan/Woodgrain TII auto
    1987 Shelby GLHS #454

Gotta be one good HEP in this stockpile. lol
    Ha ha yes there is...I'm gonna guess that the 2 or 3 HEP's I tried are ok and the issue is somewhere else. In the next day or so I'm gonna pull some parts from a running car and see what I find out. Like I said earlier, I'm certain the power module is good, it ran the turbowagon minutes before I swapped it into the Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Aww... is Paul too cold to go outside?
    LOL the wind is chilling to the bone! Maybe I'll head out to the Z after I thaw a bit

Ha ha yes there is...I'm gonna guess that the 2 or 3 HEP's I tried are ok and the issue is somewhere else. In the next day or so I'm gonna pull some parts from a running car and see what I find out. Like I said earlier, I'm certain the power module is good, it ran the turbowagon minutes before I swapped it into the Z.
    The LM would too. Just cannibalize the wagon and I'll be by in the spring to retrieve the carcass.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Just cannibalize the wagon and I'll be by in the spring to retrieve the carcass.
    Ha I seriously just laughed out loud! Heck, the wagon was only (how many?) miles from you when I snagged it from Matt's yard?

Did you swap the coil? I didn't see if ya did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast