Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White 87 Shelby Z TII

White 87 Shelby Z TII

This Z founds it's way back to my place a few days ago, and I've been slowly tinkering with it. It has a no start condition, and I've made a few minor changes with the dash that I feel are kinda neat. Installed a 12 button Traveller and a boost controller from an 86 turbo Daytona. I think the blue lines in the gauge fit in well with the blue interior.

Threw on a woodgrain bezel that I snagged from a LeBaron while junkyarding Monday. Also installed a nice Panasonic CD player that the previous owner (Quintin) included with the car.

Swapped a few pieces underhood to see if I could resolve the lack of spark. I thought for sure a known good Power Module was going to make a difference but that didn't help. I've tried 2 different HEP's, but they aren't actually known to be good. When I turn the key on, the fuel pump primes, but when it cranks there isn't 12 volts at the coil. Anyone have any ideas?
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: White 87 Shelby Z TII

Disconnect the battery, reconnect it, and then try to start the car. You should get a code 11 if it has never seen a HEP signal.

I had the battery disconnected for a while, and when I hooked it back up and turned it over, the OTC only gave me fault #12...
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wow Im liking the changes already Paul!
    The radio worked well?
    I guess you made good use of that t1 boost center even though its not hooked up with the autometer on the post
    Hope you figure out the no start issue. It started and ran great till all the sudden it quit on the highway so its gotta be some kind of electrical failure somewhere!
    Q

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    Wow Im liking the changes already Paul!
    The radio worked well?
    I guess you made good use of that t1 boost center even though its not hooked up with the autometer on the post
    Q
    Thanks yeah the radio works great...I'm not someone who generally gets into aftermarket radios/amps and stuff, but the way that faceplate moves out and flips over on it's own is a trip!

And I used a "T" to hook both gauges together...2 boost gauges = more power

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Paul, Car looks good. Is the distributor rotor spinning when you crank it over?
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Lol twice the boost right?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Paul, Car looks good. Is the distributor rotor spinning when you crank it over?
    Yes Sir!

turbo addict

It's a beautiful car Paul
    i cant wait to see it
    and the changes you have made look great

Well hopefully in the new year this car wont be as much as a pain in the --- LMAO

Garrett booster

Hey Paul, have you resolved the no start issue? It sounds like your car is doing exactly what my car was doing about 3 years ago. It started stalling on me randomly and about two days later, the car died on me. The problem I had was with my alternator sub-harness. I too replaced countless HEPs and coils in an attempt to solve the problem until I shifted the harness a little and the car started no problem. Slightly moving the harness caused the car to stall and if held there, it would die. I had a spare alternator harness that I swapped in and have not had a single electrical problem since. I'm sure you have a spare harness, try it out. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoskalon View Post
    Hey Paul, have you resolved the no start issue? It sounds like your car is doing exactly what my car was doing about 3 years ago. It started stalling on me randomly and about two days later, the car died on me. The problem I had was with my alternator sub-harness. I too replaced countless HEPs and coils in an attempt to solve the problem until I shifted the harness a little and the car started no problem. Slightly moving the harness caused the car to stall and if held there, it would die. I had a spare alternator harness that I swapped in and have not had a single electrical problem since. I'm sure you have a spare harness, try it out. Good luck!
    Actually I took the LM out to try swapping in another, but I haven't got around to it yet. With the chilly temperatures and the fact that I wouldn't be taking the car out in the salt anyhow, I've moved on to some other stuff...but I'll certainly check out the sub harness. Thanks for the heads up, and we'll see you Saturday at the Shelby gathering

Lol c'mon Paul I want to know whats wrong LOL!

Well, unfortunately no updates concerning the no-start issue. The storage building is cold, and sitting in front of this computer is habit forming

But I did motivate myself to change the radio again LOL! I decided the nice aftermarket Panasonic would be better utilized in my beater Duster.

The Z is perfect for the nice chrome buttoned Infinity stereo I just picked up, along with a slave CD player that's been collecting dust in my basement.

Ever see how deep the cupholders are on these?!

looking good. Still wanna know why it wont run LMAO!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I really like it with the new radio.

Here's pics of chrome lock buttons I installed, and pics of the 2 button switch I would like to find in chrome...anyone know for sure if the 87-89 LeBaron 2 door (or any other model) used them?

I can look at my baron. Far as I know they are black but let me double check.
    Hopefully as we approach spring you can find the starting problem.
    I have been lulling the problem over in my mind and I am curious to know.
    Q

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    Hopefully as we approach spring you can find the starting problem.
    LOL...like I was telling my buddy Karl, I can't drive it until the salt is off the roads anyhow...so that fact that I haven't repaired it keeps me from the temptation of taking it out Hang in there man...Lord knows I really want to drive this baby, as I just love the way it looks BTW, those leather seats can really be a shocker! In those photos above, it was like 20 degrees in the car while I was changing the radio

Also I've got some other Hi-po goodies to throw on it...like a different front mount with custom piping that will look great under the hood

Well if you get rid of the current one, I wouldn't mind having it back LMAO!
    We will talk later.
    Performance goodies need to go on this car.
    And it leaks oil and only has 4 gears so its not like you are gonna go anywhere. LMAO!
    Cmon you know you wanna get it running

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast