Thread: Starting a car thats been sitting for 10+ Years

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Starting a car thats been sitting for 10+ Years

As the title states I'm getting a new project car but the inspection sticker is from '98....

Assuming it hasn't ran since then, what do you guy recommend as far as starting it up?

BTW pics and a project log to follow

Garrett booster

Re: Starting a car thats been sitting for 10+ Years

Well I would start by clearing the fuel system completely, blowing the lines clear especially. Replace fluids. Oil change and fuel filter change. The start it up and see how it works. I wouldn't worry about the transmission fluids yet. Check belts for cracks on the under side. I normally budget into replacing belts, hoses, fluids, and filters. Then I replace pads and rotors myself when ready to drive. Mainly depends on how much you want to put into the budget of the product.
    Good luck! What kind of car is it?

turbo addict

I don't know what kind of car we are talking about, but if it is a TM or something with an auxiliary oil pump drive, prime the oil pump before starting.

Hybrid booster

I'd replace the fuel hoses under the hood for sure, they are a classic fire hazard! +1 about cleaning the fuel system.

I'd pull the plugs, and squirt oil into the cylinders, and then see if it turns by hand OK. If so, unplug both the HEP connectors and crank the motor with the plugs out to get the oil circulated before starting.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

turbo addict

what kind of car is it?
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    what kind of car is it?
    +1 on this

Quote Originally Posted by Spraynlog View Post
    I'd replace the fuel hoses under the hood for sure, they are a classic fire hazard! +1 about cleaning the fuel system.

I'd pull the plugs, and squirt oil into the cylinders, and then see if it turns by hand OK. If so, unplug both the HEP connectors and crank the motor with the plugs out to get the oil circulated before starting.
    ^GREAT advice.
    Spin that puppy over before ever trying to start it. Get all the oil into everything.
    Fuel system forsure.
    Most likely the car is going to need a fuel pump. Drain all the bad gas out, replace lines and filter, check all fluids, put air in the tires and check for cracking etc.
    Also before you decide to fire the car check for rodents and other objects in the airbox/ intake tract.
    We chewed up a dead mouse body in the turbo of our car once because the car had been sitting 5+ years and between then critters decided to make it a home
    Q

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Thanks for the advice guys!

Of course it's a TM

So far the tank has been replaced and the fuel pump

Hybrid booster

for my GLH that had been sitting, never even rolled since 1994...just this last summer, I filled the cylinders with marble mystery oil...let it seep past the rings (it sat for about 2 months with it in there....threw a hot battery in...dumped some gas down the (carb for me)...hit the key...fired right up after about 30 seconds of cranking