Thread: Keep early TI or swap to later TI during engine swap?

turbo addict

Keep early TI or swap to later TI during engine swap?

I need to swap the engine in my 86 T&C turbo wagon since my brother blew it up last week. I'll be getting a turbo 2.2 in the near future and am trying to cut down on downtime for the swap. Should I go ahead and put the spare 1 piece intake & TII turbo I have on the replacement engine to drop it all in right away? Or should I take the bad engine out and swap over all the early TI stuff to the new engine?

The only peices I do not have for the swap are the late TI throttle & TV cables and the late TI airbox & charge hoses. I have a TII/auto LM from a Shelby Lancer that will work in a pinch w/o an intercooler.

I'm doing this swap in a 10 x 20 garage that's already filled with stuff, so space is at a premium.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Re: Keep early TI or swap to later TI during engine swap?

if its your car, t2 for sure, if its your brothers or he's going to drive it again, maybe not. how did he blow it up? burnt piston or ran out of oil?

boostaholic

Depends on if you want power or originality.

turbo addict

pwr!!
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster

The easiest way to go is to swap the early parts onto the new motor. If the new 2.2 is a LW rod stock T1 motor, I'd use the early parts. If you want more power out of it, swap in some +20s or Flex fuel injectors and run E85, it'll take 14lbs of boost without an intercooler.

The full t2 setup will make more power, but it's a more complicated swap. If you aren't going to intercool it, I wouldn't bother.

The reasons I'm saying this are 1. you want short downtime, 2. You don't have or want (?) to intercool. 3. You don't have all the t2 conversion parts.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    if its your car, t2 for sure, if its your brothers or he's going to drive it again, maybe not. how did he blow it up? burnt piston or ran out of oil?
    It ran out of oil in 15 miles on the highway; it certainly was not his fault since the engine was questionable to begin with due to massive blowby. I had to use the lower portion of the airbox with a oil soaked airfilter as a catchcan and flip the airfilter side of the airbox upside down so it wouldn't choke and die on the blowby fumes. It really was that bad. No joke.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford