Thread: 2000 neon--runs fine--for 5 miles :banghead:

Garrett booster

2000 neon--runs fine--for 5 miles :banghead:

ok so my sister is selling me her 2001 neon
    this would be ok if it ran great... still 400 is a buy
    it has 160,000 on it and runs great for about 5 or so miles
    it will sit there and even run fine for a while, but never the less it starts running really rough, it will barely stay running and cannot go down the road when this happens
    so here is a list of parts that my dad has replaced in an attempt to fix the issue
    cam sensor (was trouble code)
    Crank sensor (was trouble code)
    Coil pack + plugs and wires
    computer
    ignition where the box is below the key+column
    fuel pump
    MAF
    all this is of course is preliminary and i have not brought it home and tested compression or fuel pressure and such

Any ideas are welcome!!!
    and thanks for the help ahead of time everybody

boostaholic

Re: 2000 neon--runs fine--for 5 miles :banghead:

Check the fuel pump relay.

boostaholic

check engine light?
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Beleive it or not, I have seen a Neon act like this with a bad Oxygen sensor. Once it got up to temperature. someting weird happened with the heater circuit and it would crap out.

As a test, try unplugging the upstream 02 sensor and see how she does. You'll get a code for the 02 sensor of course, but the car will run.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Beleive it or not, I have seen a Neon act like this with a bad Oxygen sensor. Once it got up to temperature. someting weird happened with the heater circuit and it would crap out.

As a test, try unplugging the upstream 02 sensor and see how she does. You'll get a code for the 02 sensor of course, but the car will run.
    +1 I had a Ranger that did the same thing. Never set a code but would lose power and run like crap.

Hybrid booster

Also check the terminals at the coil pack connector. Make sure they are clean and tight.

TurboII

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkrab View Post
    clean and tight.

boostaholic

Fuel Pump.

Garrett booster

Thank you guys for the replies, and
    Yes there is a check engine light, don't quite know what the code is just yet

my dad said that he changed whatever the code is for, but my dad knows nothing about wiring, something i forgot to mention is that the car has a weird thing with it every now and then,
    the power goes out of the dash panel, of course the gauges stop working and snap to 0 and all, don't think at this point its related, but anybody know what that might be about??
    p.s. car runs great at that time goes down the road just fine, just no dash for that time..

i was supposed to get the car this last week end, Idaho snow had and end to that.....

Garrett booster

oh and by the way, even when it is having the issue, the fuel pressure is more than good, so it sounds like the most likely culprit so far being a effed up relay or an O2 sensor
    Thank you guys again for the reply's i appreciate the help

turbo addict

Check the fuel cap, and tank vents.

boostaholic

look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first look into check engine light first

seriously, just do it, or you're shooting blanks and you and I both are wasting time.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

turbo addict

Yep, coz that usually narrows it down to one of the 20 things that could cause that fault

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    Yep, coz that usually narrows it down to one of the 20 things that could cause that fault
    Better 20 things than 100 things...
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post

Rule 1) Investigate the Check Engine light first.