Thread: Theft Prevention / Security...?

turbo addict

Theft Prevention / Security...?

Hey guys,

Ive been on a local Orlando forum for where I go to school and it seems that ALOT of cars get stolen (like 20 cars in 5 months). While they are mainly hondas and other foreign tuner cars it still scares me that I might end up getting the charger stolen especially after it gets a fresh paint job.

What are some of the things you guys do in order to keep your car safe?

Re: Theft Prevention / Security...?

starter kill would be easy, just hide a switch on the interior some where thats hooked up the the starter relay. or take your could wire with you
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

If the car is going to be parked somewhere long-term, I like to unplug the HEP and tuck the connectors under the charging harness so they are not easily seen.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Go to your local humane society and get the biggest, meanest rot they have

seriously, the hidden kill switch is a good idea. also look into one of those removable steering wheels, just keep it in your back pack while in class. most modern alarm systems (good ones) have starter kills built into them, not a bad idea either.

Garrett booster

The hidden kill switch is a good idea.

I heard of someone doing something similar with a bit of a twist. He took the heater coil out the cigarette lighter, and somehow made it so when the cigarette lighter was pushed in, it allowed his car to start. When he pulled it out, it was his kill switch. Easy and convenient, no hidden switches to fumble with.

You would have to wire in a relay to make this work, and use the cigarette lighter as the ground for the control circuit.

You could also tie into the wire on the door switch for the interior light to sound a horn if one of the doors was ever opened with the system activated. Mount a key switch externally to turn this system on/off. Just simply lock your car and close the door, and turn the key switch to activate the door alarm. Friend of mine did something similar on this truck, and mounted the key switch on the back of the cab so the guts of the key switch were inside the cab, just the face of the key switch showing on the outside. He put it in the middle of a moulding so it wasn't easily seen.

Also you could put a simple limit switch/button switch on the hood so if it were ever opened it would sound an alarm.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83rampage View Post
    The hidden kill switch is a good idea.

I heard of someone doing something similar with a bit of a twist. He took the heater coil out the cigarette lighter, and somehow made it so when the cigarette lighter was pushed in, it allowed his car to start. When he pulled it out, it was his kill switch. Easy and convenient, no hidden switches to fumble with.

You would have to wire in a relay to make this work, and use the cigarette lighter as the ground for the control circuit.

You could also tie into the wire on the door switch for the interior light to sound a horn if one of the doors was ever opened with the system activated. Mount a key switch externally to turn this system on/off. Just simply lock your car and close the door, and turn the key switch to activate the door alarm. Friend of mine did something similar on this truck, and mounted the key switch on the back of the cab so the guts of the key switch were inside the cab, just the face of the key switch showing on the outside. He put it in the middle of a moulding so it wasn't easily seen.

Also you could put a simple limit switch/button switch on the hood so if it were ever opened it would sound an alarm.
    That's a good one but I can see it being bad if drag racing, your hooking up and the sudden snap pops it out,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

How's this sound? Wire a pushbutton start where the lighter is, paint it silver and glue a lighter knob to it.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    If the car is going to be parked somewhere long-term, I like to unplug the HEP and tuck the connectors under the charging harness so they are not easily seen.
    +1... Dont ask how I pulled a stupid moment on that one.