Thread: still vibration ??

Garrett booster

still vibration ??

I installed a new wheel bearing/hub assy and a good axle on the pass side and when i turn left im still getting a vibration

any ideas where to go next ?????

Hybrid booster

Re: still vibration ??

Checked mounts yet or centered motor?

Garrett booster

im planning on checking the mounts next... this is a bummer..

Garrett booster

here is a pic of the pass side motor mount... would this cause the car to drive weird and cause a vibration when turning left ? it looks broke.. what do u peeps think..

i went out and checked, shouldnt there be metal spacer plates where the mount bolts to the frame ? there isnt any...

i know i had a heck of a time getting the strut back in over the cv axle when i was putting it all back together. I had to push down on the lower arm to get the strut up high enough and still it was a pita. Id say my motor is sitting too low on that side causing me all this trouble...

Last edited by 1bad89; 12-17-2009 at 02:52 PM.

boostaholic

Yes, If it is broken bad enough it will cause the driveline to be off center. Thus it will cause the shaft to bind or you will get a vibration from the motor.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad89 View Post
    here is a pic of the pass side motor mount... would this cause the car to drive weird and cause a vibration when turning left ? it looks broke.. what do u peeps think..

i went out and checked, shouldnt there be metal spacer plates where the mount bolts to the frame ? there isnt any...

i know i had a heck of a time getting the strut back in over the cv axle when i was putting it all back together. I had to push down on the lower arm to get the strut up high enough and still it was a pita. Id say my motor is sitting too low on that side causing me all this trouble...

Hard to tell about the mounts condition but it certainly should be centered, its pushed over to one side. The spacers go between the mount and frame.

Did you check the axle length? You could have a Minivan axle, its 1 inch longer and would make it hard to put back together and would cause binding when turning a corner. Take some pics of the joints at the tranny end.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

i didnt check the length, but, the axles are out of a daytona i know that for sure. There arent any spacers under the mount there missing..

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad89 View Post
    i didnt check the length, but, the axles are out of a daytona i know that for sure. There arent any spacers under the mount there missing..
    That still doesn't mean they are right unless they are OE axles.

Spacers, they won't cause your binding on turns.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

How about a problem with the diff? Possibility?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

i got the axles from a friend who got them out of a daytona a gentelman use to use as a race daytona so im 99% sure there correct axles. I checked the axle with my old one and they looked the same length and everything, i truly hope my luck isnt bad enough to pull out and install the wrong axles..

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

i know i had a heck of a time getting the strut back in over the cv axle when i was putting it all back together. I had to push down on the lower arm to get the strut up high enough and still it was a pita.
    Fyi that is normal. Im thinking the engine might be too far the passenger side, which might cause the inner joint on that side axle to bottom and have some interference when the suspension is compressed too.. just a thought.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

im thinking the same, thats why im only having the issue when turning and giving gas to the left, its probably sitting too far towards the pass side, ive got a new mount coming, im hopeing it will raise and center the motor back up and take care of the problem.

right now with the car on the ground, the axle only sits just below the bottom of the strut, so id say the motor is def sitting too low on that side..

turbo addict

Phil,

It looks like the aluminum spacers between the mount and frame on the pass mount are missing too, maybe making the engine too low. It also looks like the mount is in the wrong way needs to be turned 180'
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

That motor mount looks wasted. Now is the time to upgrade to urethane mounts. Pick up the spacers too!

Garrett booster

brad, thats what i was thinking also.. it just doesnt look right. ive got a new mount coming, ill get it installed and let you guys know wassup...