Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: McCall's Daytona, Shelby Z or Turbo Z ?

Hybrid booster

Re: McCall's Daytona, Shelby Z or Turbo Z ?

Quote Originally Posted by tommyturbo View Post
    ... then I found out white with tan and t-tops is really rare.
    DOH! Really?

Ron

Hybrid booster

hey now, I didn't know that until I saw the build numbers....

I found out white with tan and t-tops is really rare.
    Do you have a breakdown for paint/interior colors? I'd like to find out how many white hardtops there were with blue leather
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

I've got the production sheets someplace and will look for them...there is another nice guy here that has the info as well...I'll try to find the stuff soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Do you have a breakdown for paint/interior colors? I'd like to find out how many white hardtops there were with blue leather
    Not many.
    Wonder why you would want that info?

Hybrid booster

according to my info, blue interior was not an option in 88, must be an 87 thing. I only have info on the 88's.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor Lee'sdaytona's Avatar

I too loved Hunter as a little kid growing up, and it is the reason I got into Turbo Dodges in the first place! What I'd like to know is how you got high quality screen shots. The scene in "Last Kill" where they have an amazing chase in the Turbo Z, and they end up with McCall and Hunter each hiding behind the driver/pass door (respectively) with guns drawn...I want to get a quality print of that image, and see how hard it would be to have Fred Dryer and Stephanie Kramer sign it. I'm restoring an 86 flash red Daytona Turbo Z with T-tops just like it, except it will have red leather seats, not the tan leather.
    My Macbook wouldn't allow me to take a screen shot of the DVD while it was playing on my computer. Anyone know how to do it?
    -Lee

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

My wife's pseudo-uncle worked in Hollywood as a transportation coordinator. Making that Daytona was a piece of cake for them. Almost guaranteed that they had a deal with Dodge for the front assembly. Dodge probably did that to gauge response to the new front fascia.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

I always noticed in watching that show there were several Mopars, but I chalked that up to law enforcement using mostly Mopar vehicles back in those days. But Chrysler sponsoring the show makes much more sense. In fact, I remember one episode where a burglar is clearly driving a white Ford Econoline van, and Hunter describes the van as a "white dodge van". Makes sense now....
    -Lee

Mitsu booster

The cars from Hunter and the movies

The 1984 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z
    The 84 was a hard car to film with the dark interior made it very hot during filming scenes with the actors when they were in the car motionless in the California sun.
    The 84 caught fire during filming a chase scene the car was a loss
    The 1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z
    The 85 came on scene after the 84 model was declared a total loss by fire.
    The 85 in the last year of use in 1986 of the Hunter series, the 85 was used in the movie Black moon rising during the filming the Daytona suffered a collision and was beyond repair, And was not able to be used in the filming of the start to the new season of Hunter.
    The 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
    The first half of the new season was not a 87 Shelby Z, It was an 86 Turbo Z C/S. The 1986 Daytona Turbo Z C/S just finished filming in Arizona and came from the movie THE WRAITH. It was oggies Daytona from the movie. the real 87 Shelby Z didn't make it's appearance till later.
    The 1986 Daytona C/S
    When word got back that the 85 Turbo Z used in Hunter was totaled in a accident during filming of Black Moon Rising. They needed a replacement car it was the 1986 Daytona C/S that just finshed filming the movie The Wraith in Arizona but with the new model year ( 1987 ) about to come out they decided to use the 86 with a new nose and tail " to show off the new look "
    The Movie THE WRAITH
    The making of the movie was an important advertising stratagy for Chrysler Corperation after all it featured many Chrysler product sneek peeks from the 87 Shelby Z to the new Dodge Shadow and the MS4.
    There were a total of 5 Dodge Daytona's used in the movie
    2 White Daytona's 1 Turbo Z and 1 Daytona Turbo
    3 Flash Red Daytona's all were the Turbo Z's 1 was a Turbo Z C/S

The white Turbo Z was used in 2 spots in the movie
    The white Daytona Turbo Z was used in the opening scenes of the movie where George and his girlfriend are stopped by Packards gang and raced for pinks with the Daytona being rubbed along the guardrail.
    The white Turbo Z was also used in the garage scene but with the front end and rear light panel replaced with the new style to the Shelby Z

The white Daytona Turbo

The white Daytona Turbo was used only in the opening scene during the opening credits to the movie where George and his girlfriend are driving along the hills on the highway just before they notice the headlights behind them from Packards gang.

The 3 Flash Red Daytonas
    All the Flash Red Daytonas were Turbo Z models only one was the C/S version.
    One car just came from the commerical shoot entitled " EXPRESSWAY TO YOUR HEART "prior.
    The C/S was used in the Big Kay's Burger joint scene and for the race against the MS4.
    One car was used to crash into the wraiths turbo interceptor and was blown up by explosive charges when it hit the model mockup of the MS4.
    The car used in the commerical spot was the one that went in to the canyon.
    The C/S went on to the then hit tv show Hunter with the new nose and tail section till the real 87 arrived from Chrysler Corperation.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for sharing the info!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff
    Good info! Don't forget about the caravelle turbos used as police cars.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

so you have all this info on the daytona and filming, any info on where the cars are now?

When you refer to the 84 Daytona catching fire during filming, do you mean there was a malfunction with the car, or are you refering to the Fireman episode where the guy torches the car with a flame-thrower, and I almost cry when I watch it?

turbo addict

I have a question on how they made the 86 Turbo Z. How did they adapt the rear tail light assembly to that car? The rear quarter panels are VERY different in that part of the car. It isn't a bolt-on affair. Just wondering?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I have a question on how they made the 86 Turbo Z. How did they adapt the rear tail light assembly to that car? The rear quarter panels are VERY different in that part of the car. It isn't a bolt-on affair. Just wondering?
    I was thinking the exact same thing

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nothing a few cans of "movie magic" couldn't fix LOL!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	076308002657xl.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	35786

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

WOW! well I guess that answers the long asked question of what happened to Oggie's Daytona. Shame they took the wraith stripes off of it though

Hybrid booster

Many early and sometimes pre-production Chrysler/Dodge vehicles end up in movies to promote product.
    The movie "Bandits" has an early PT Cruiser that appears in flat gray which may actually be a primer coat.
    If I remember correctly there are scenes that show smooth (non-textured) interior panels which are early run parts.
    This is also found in the 2005 movie "The Island" early 'pilot' built 300C's appear in a car chase.

Based on the content of the Daytona, it looks like a 'mock-up' vehicle.
    It would have been the previous model, with pre-production fenders, hood, complete rear quarter sections, hatch lid, etc..
    Once the components are morphed on to the car and fit-and-finish details are corrected, the pieces (or the entire vehicle) would have been sent for paint work.
    This is where the production detail is missing and so is the front 'black out' sections.
    The detail (badges or emblems) probably didn't exist and strangely enough are sometimes left off intentionally to spike public curiosity.
    It may also be interesting to know if any open hatch shots were taken and if the older model was used due to the lack of production components.
    If they used the 'mock-up' vehicle for these shots, identifiable one-off or pre-production interior panels may be visible.

Mitsu booster

so you have all this info on the daytona and filming, any info on where the cars are now?
    I was in Arizona during the filming of the movie. As far as I know some of the cars were scrapped and some ended up in other films, Packards Corvette was the Corvette used in the movie CORVETTE SUMMER. Some cars live and some die.
    I know that a few cars ended up in a Las Vegas muesum.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lee'sdaytona View Post
    When you refer to the 84 Daytona catching fire during filming, do you mean there was a malfunction with the car, or are you refering to the Fireman episode where the guy torches the car with a flame-thrower, and I almost cry when I watch it?
    The car accually caught fire during a chase scene the fire engulfed the front end ( suspected hose to the fuel regulater )

The fireman episode used a differnet Daytona it had the silver gray checkerboard interior . The original 84 that caught fire was the black and white checkerboard interior.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast