Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting turbo setup

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

Interesting turbo setup

I guess the idea behind this was to decrease spool time..... Seems like overkill to me, and I just don't think a 4-cly 2.0 could spool both turbos effiecienty. His numbers seem to prove that, since it dyno-ed at 403.4 whp, 356.9 lb-ft/torque.

car is a 2g eclipse, 2.0L

here's the setup:
    Homemade compound turbo set-up. Uses a ported 2G manifold and a fabricated 3" crosspipe. Turbonetics T4 60-1 (.68 A/R twin scroll turbine housing, P-wheel), MHI B16G w/ 7cm housing & 15* turbine clip, twin TIAL 44mm WG's, Magnus SMIM, 1G TB, Fidanza cam gears, SBR/Kinetic FMIC, twin GReddy Type-S BOV's, modified 1G aluminum radiator, Thermal R&D cat-back, homemade 3" SS downpipe, Aeromotive AFPR, in-tank Denso Supra 280lph feeding a Bosch 044, Lucas 1200's, -6 braided fuel feed, ball & spring MBC, twin 12" SPAL pusher fans, MSD Wires w/ NGK plugs (br8es)

Interesting, yes.... but I've seen cars with just a 16g turbo put close to 400HP out. Not to mention, all this for turbo lag? idk.. discuss. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscf0359_257995.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	19443  

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

Re: Interesting turbo setup

Did I mention wow?

Hybrid booster

What the hell is it!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

It's Alive...... Its Aliveeeeeeeeeeeeee.............. Muhahahahhahahahh

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I bet that 2nd turbo is pretty large, so the first one will spool it, I like it, looks like a cheap setup to get the best of both worlds-no lag and monster HP,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

got a link to the dyno graph?

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeshadowchik View Post
    I guess the idea behind this was to decrease spool time..... Seems like overkill to me, and I just don't think a 4-cly 2.0 could spool both turbos effiecienty. His numbers seem to prove that, since it dyno-ed only 403.4 whp, 356.9 lb-ft/torque.
    I personally wouldn't use the term only 403 whp. Its not like its a small number by any standards. Getting that much hp at the flywheel is hard enough.
    If it actually works good I bet that thing is a rocket at almost any rpm.

turbo addict

But what is not said is the boost it is putting out i bet is is set low right now should easily hit 40 psi.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

Paul Volks car?

Some of the new Ford diesel engines are going to have a setup similar to that.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Very cool... heres the direct link.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cust...bo-set-up.html

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Some of the new Ford diesel engines are going to have a setup similar to that.
    yeah but thats diesel, like 1 million:1 compression, no turbo lag

now 8:1 yeah..... 30R

boostaholic

i posted up befor i saw the link... i kinde skimed thru it... unless hes planning on running 50+ pounds of boost seem kindof useless...

idk mabye im not understanding the concept but to me it seems like it would be like a T3 feeding a 60-1, id assume it would be kind of laggy.

i guess wh i dont understand is the larger compressor feed the ??? smaller compressor???

oh yeah bout to do some Googling!!! be back in a bit!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

Yes, Paul Volk is his name. I came across his profile on tuners and it intregued me.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

turbo addict

that is surely overkill!!! the here thought of that is unecessary, you can use one turbo even something big and get small lag. Running a smaller hot side helps with spoolup, i have used a master power T-70 in the past which typically came with a t4 .84 hot side, i had the company set me up with a .48 hot side in a t3 flange and i had VERY fast spoolup for the size the turbo was and hit 2500 rpm in the --- hard!!! on a 2.6 but that 2.0 could make use of the turbo i had too. Heck i know people that used 20g's etc and made over 400 number hp on dsm's. I think his idea is more for attention than effect. IMO which might be truth, only he knows lol. Heck have you guys seen the technology turbonetics has come out with for large turbos poppin power at 1500 rpm and such? cant beat that lol.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

a lot of ram cummins use that kind of set-up , for waht ive read the response is awesome , but im not sure the small turbo will survive getting spinning like that ...

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I absolutely approve of this just because of the process of creating it. It's more about ability than results unless you are spending an --- load of money. If he had those turbos sitting around and didnt go out and spend $1500 trying to build that than it rocks no matter what. If i had the fab skills id whip up some dual freebie-mitsu turbo piping for a 3.0 motor and not give a ---- what anyone thought of it if it was faster than stock, proved i COULD do it, and cost <$100.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

yea of course, v6 not for a 4 cyl 2.0 though, thats the point here lol, its not needed at al for fast spoolup.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by tsiconquest88 View Post
    that is surely overkill!!! the here thought of that is unecessary, you can use one turbo even something big and get small lag. Running a smaller hot side helps with spoolup, i have used a master power T-70 in the past which typically came with a t4 .84 hot side, i had the company set me up with a .48 hot side in a t3 flange and i had VERY fast spoolup for the size the turbo was and hit 2500 rpm in the --- hard!!! on a 2.6 but that 2.0 could make use of the turbo i had too. Heck i know people that used 20g's etc and made over 400 number hp on dsm's. I think his idea is more for attention than effect. IMO which might be truth, only he knows lol. Heck have you guys seen the technology turbonetics has come out with for large turbos poppin power at 1500 rpm and such? cant beat that lol.

Way off topic......what the hell do you have hangin down in the front of that poor van?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

yea of course, v6 not for a 4 cyl 2.0 though, thats the point here lol, its not needed at al for fast spoolup.
    Well yeah but what im saying is that even though it would be better to spend money and do it right with one turbo, i'd rather try to advance my skillset by making something i have sitting around work the hard way for super cheap. Im a guy who does not give a ---- how much money you can spend on your car. Im impressed by what you can BUILD, even if what you build isnt as nice as what you can buy.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast