Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noticable compressor surge(or turbo stall as JT would say) after installing CAI??

turbo addict

Noticable compressor surge(or turbo stall as JT would say) after installing CAI??

OK, so I finally took the plunge and ditched the stock intake box in favor of a CAI. I changed nothing else in the turbo plumbing system. Now I have noticeable compressor surge (aka turbo stall) in some instances.

I'm running a 1st gen DSM BOV (not crushed) directly after the turbo and the vacuum line goes to the brake booster. This set-up has been on the car for a while and worked absolutely great. It was also on my van and on my LeBaron for short periods of time and I never had this issue (van was Mitsu turbo, 'Baron was Garrett).

Could it be that this has always been there and the stock airbox was doing too good a job at masking the sound or is there something else I need to look in to? I don't remember this EVER being an issue on the other vehicles this set-up has been on.

I'm going to alter where the vacuum source for the BOV is from the brake booster to the throttle body and see if that doesn't help, but I'd still like to hear some input.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Noticable compressor surge(or turbo stall as JT would say) after installing CAI??

Yes, the stock airbox muffles this sound... the CAI lets you hear it. It is the sound of the compressor stalling when the throttle is closed. So, maybe the BOV isnt opening?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Re: Noticable compressor surge(or turbo stall as JT would say) after installing CAI??

Do you have the bov modified to hold more boost or is the quick release port still open on it? The stock airbox does mask the noise quite a bit, however, if the quick release port is still open, you would not get any surge on shifts. If the quick release port is plugged in the flange and vented to atmosphere externally, then you'll get some surge since the valve requires more pressure to come off the seat.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Yes, the stock airbox muffles this sound... the CAI lets you hear it. It is the sound of the compressor stalling when the throttle is closed. So, maybe the BOV isnt opening?
    That's where my money is. If you hear it noticeably all the time, I'd say the BOV isn't working. I had the same issue and found in two instances that the vacuum line wasn't connected and there was damage to a vacuum line.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

can some one describe this sound. is it like a growl when the throttle is released? thats what im getting with my volvo bov and on my stock bov when i was using it. and its bad.

turbo addict

If the intake is open you'll hear a flutter...like making a motor boat noise with your mouth and not blowing real hard...if the exhaust is louder than the intake it can sound like a growl between shifts.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Do you have the bov modified to hold more boost or is the quick release port still open on it? The stock airbox does mask the noise quite a bit, however, if the quick release port is still open, you would not get any surge on shifts. If the quick release port is plugged in the flange and vented to atmosphere externally, then you'll get some surge since the valve requires more pressure to come off the seat.
    The BOV is modified. By that I mean that it has the extra port that you have to drill in to the flange and the bottom of the BOV to make it. I think either Gus or Gary Donovan describes the process. I got this BOV from Gary a LONG time ago. I do have that port open to the atmosphere (from what I gather this is the way to have it to hold higher boost). The one on top goes to the vacuum source as it always has.

The BOV definitely still works and I only get the surge/stall in instances where I wasn't making a lot of boost and I lightly let off the gas, so it's really not that big a deal. Other than that, it works fine in all other instances.

I think I'm good, I just don't remember it doing that before. Then again, the other cars I had this on were auto's...this one is manual, so that might make the difference right there.

Thanks for the feedback!

Garrett booster

im leeching off this guys post and im sorry but can someone give me more info on this issue. if this is a problem im definately having it. feel free to pm me if you want thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turbo van go View Post
    im leeching off this guys post and im sorry but can someone give me more info on this issue. if this is a problem im definately having it. feel free to pm me if you want thanks
    There's another thread on a similar topic:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44940

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    The BOV is modified. By that I mean that it has the extra port that you have to drill in to the flange and the bottom of the BOV to make it. I think either Gus or Gary Donovan describes the process. I got this BOV from Gary a LONG time ago. I do have that port open to the atmosphere (from what I gather this is the way to have it to hold higher boost). The one on top goes to the vacuum source as it always has.

The BOV definitely still works and I only get the surge/stall in instances where I wasn't making a lot of boost and I lightly let off the gas, so it's really not that big a deal. Other than that, it works fine in all other instances.

I think I'm good, I just don't remember it doing that before. Then again, the other cars I had this on were auto's...this one is manual, so that might make the difference right there.

Thanks for the feedback!

Then it's always done that...you just didn't hear it through the airbox. If you're not running more than 16-17 psi, you can run a line from your intercooler piping (small barb into the piping) right to the barb that's vented to atmosphere. That bov will pop off the seat immediately when you let off the gas and you'll get no surge at all.

If you're running more than 16-17 psi, leave it as is so it will hold your boost without leaking.

turbo addict

how much vacuum do you have reaper?

turbo van go, it sounds kinda like a rattlesnake rattle

Quote Originally Posted by turbo van go View Post
    can some one describe this sound. is it like a growl when the throttle is released? thats what im getting with my volvo bov and on my stock bov when i was using it. and its bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    how much vacuum do you have reaper?

turbo van go, it sounds kinda like a rattlesnake rattle
    Yeah like a.... pfft pfft pfft pfft chugging air back thru the air filter type noise

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

yes the surge is there. and i have always had it. is it damaging? im also trying to link this to my TERRIBLE boost spiking. is this a possibility?

Boost spiking? No, more like boost loss. Think of it this way.. you're going balls out, tires on fire at 15psi and you lift throttle, the throttle blade closes and pressure stacks up in th echarge pipes to teh compressor that used to be spinning full tilt, but now has air pressure bleeding back past it... so it stalls. When you get back on it the boost is no where near where it should be because the compressor has to re-spool.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

do i need a better bov?

Dunno what you got... maybe fix it? or check vacuum line plumbing?

If working properly, dont need anything special... I have the cheap plastic Bosch BOV (Turbonetics "Street" BOV) on my Shadow and its good to 27psi...

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

ihave volvo bov seems pretty heavy duty. i dont think i have any vac leaks. i recently checked my lines and found nothing bad.

Have you tested it? Vacuum pump?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

to se how much pressure it will hold?

To see how much vacuum it takes to open.. if its stuck or effed up or takes a crapload of vacuum to open... you may not have enough?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast