Thread: REALLY BAD ignition problem, shorted wires and burnt alot of crap...

Garrett booster

Angry REALLY BAD ignition problem, shorted wires and burnt alot of crap...

tried to start the car a couple days ago and no nice, something wasnt right...

while i was trying to start it my buddy was looking under the hood, and noticed that a brown wire going into the power modual was smoking and getting extremely hot. so instead of trying to start it, we poped it and drove it home...

today i was in the garage and for the hell of it tried to start it. started right up. hmm okay? i drove it around and it was fine... stopped and it wouldnt start again... hmm... after lacross practace it started right up, drove it do the dinner i needed to go to and when i went to start it every wire going into the top power modual connecter caught on fire and burnt all of the insulation off... couldnt stop it since i didnt have a wrench to untighten the neg on the battery...

so now my car sits in the garage, and has no battery and no power modual wires left...

any ideas what coulda happened?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: REALLY BAD ignition problem, shorted wires and burnt alot of crap...

You have a short somewhere or a bad ground. You need to check all the LM's and PM's grounds and repair the melted wiring. Your alt could be bad also.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

not the alt, just replaced that... probabily have to get a new wiring harness...

Can you tell us exactly what wire torched initially?

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/ecu/pm-1985-turbo.html

Garrett booster

it doesnt look the same as my harness... colors are a tid different, ill look tom in the daylight and let you know... all i know is, one wire somewhat thick started cookin every time i turned the key to atempt to crank the motor...