Thread: Turbonetics Trim Calculation

Turbonetics Trim Calculation

Hey guys, I have a 46T compressor wheel on my older (small shaft I guess?) Turbonetics T3/TO4E hybrid. The inducer is 2.003", the exducer is 3.2", and the effective height of the blades is 1.125". Going by their catalog online, it IS indeed a 46 trim wheel, but using the formula found all over the web:

Inducer^2
    -------- *100 = trim
    Exducer^2

My trim came out to 39... WTF?

What's going on here? Is this something weird that makes hybrid measurements different? Like, it's a TO4E 39 trim, that we call a 46 for some reason?

I hate misinformation.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Turbonetics Trim Calculation

The measurements you listed are for a Super 46 wheel, not the regular 46. Since only the exducer is larger (3.2" vs 3"), the traditional formula doesn't seem to apply to the Super wheels.

It's strange that the trim calculation doesn't work out, since the radius feeds all the way to the major diameter. I could understand if the proportions were identical with the exception of a bigger major diameter. What's the deal Turbonetics?lol

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Yeah wierd, they probably decided to just call them 'Super' wheels for marketing reasons. I have a sort of oddball wheel too. Take the stock Buick Grand National compressor wheel. In the turbo mopar world, we call it the 'Super 70'. Using the above formula it comes out to a 50 trim. However, it is much larger than the T3 50 trim (stock Turbo II), and yet much smaller than the T04E 50 trim. Kinda falls right between the two actually. I think people just call it the Super 70 for simplicities sake because it's the next obvious upgrade over the Turbonetics Super 60.

Yeah, well that comforts me to an extent. And the fact that I can't find any information on calculating trim in their website further backs up their wonky numbers. Thanks!