Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning a Harness

Cleaning a Harness

I just received my wiring harness yesterday and it has some greasy sludge build up from years of use. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Vendor

Re: Cleaning a Harness

Engine degreaser, followed by a very hot soapy bath, followed by a good blow dry and inspection. Repeat as needed.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Simple Green and a plastic scrub brush is how I cleaned mine. Then I pulled the old nasty tape off and re-taped it...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Simple Green and a plastic scrub brush is how I cleaned mine. Then I pulled the old nasty tape off and re-taped it...
    Yep, that's what I do. When you get to the terminal plugs, just be careful not to remove the grease inside where the pins are. It's there for a reason. Just use a nylon brush to thoroughly clean the outside of them and it will look like new.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies guys.

turbo addict

If you can find it, get some SD-20. This is a industrial grade degreaser. Also krylon makes some very good electrical cleaner. Spray on the SD-40, alow to sit, wipe off. Then you can spray the electrical cleaner and you should be good to go.

Also here are three cleaners than will take off pretty much anything. You have to test which one you want to use, so that you dont melt your insulation on your wires.

1. Ditzo (or other wax/grease removers)
    2. Acetone
    3. Isopryl Alcohol. (Probally wont melt anything with this)

Wear gloves too, I use these chemical pretty much everyday at work, and Ditzo will even melt gloves, so guess what it will do to your skin.

That stuff looks bad ---. We have some Simple Green here I will probably use that. We have an environmentally friendly parts washer, I was thinking of using it. Any thoughts? Its supposed to be citrus based. Didn't do a great job on the mount brackets so I figure its not too caustic.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    That stuff looks bad ---. We have some Simple Green here I will probably use that. We have an environmentally friendly parts washer, I was thinking of using it. Any thoughts? Its supposed to be citrus based. Didn't do a great job on the mount brackets so I figure its not too caustic.
    I wouldnt use anything citrus based because the copper wire gets corrosion pretty easily. Anything citrus likes to eat away.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Yep, that's what I do. When you get to the terminal plugs, just be careful not to remove the grease inside where the pins are. It's there for a reason. Just use a nylon brush to thoroughly clean the outside of them and it will look like new.
    Actually, I do remove that greas. It's usually old and crusty and won't help much. I always re-grease the connections with di-electric grease, though.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Actually, I do remove that greas. It's usually old and crusty and won't help much. I always re-grease the connections with di-electric grease, though.
    Yes, we have some here at work that I was going to use. The stuff in this harness is like wax.

Hybrid booster

I'm in the process of re doing a harness right now and I have been using purple power and a tooth brush to clean the dirt off. I also decided to re tape my harness, i put electrical tape down first and then put friction tape over it, then i went to home depot and bought about 2 miles of black convoluted tubing and put that over top of the friction tape. I hate messy wires so i think that tubing is going to make everything look nice and put together.

Quote Originally Posted by kuzman83 View Post
    I'm in the process of re doing a harness right now and I have been using purple power and a tooth brush to clean the dirt off. I also decided to re tape my harness, i put electrical tape down first and then put friction tape over it, then i went to home depot and bought about 2 miles of black convoluted tubing and put that over top of the friction tape. I hate messy wires so i think that tubing is going to make everything look nice and put together.
    Whats friction tape?

turbo addict

Whats friction tape?
    Its what they used in the factory harness of old mopars I think. I got a few rolls to redo parts of my harness. It only stick to itself, there is no adhesive, so it wont gum up with heat.

Hybrid booster

you can get it at home depot it looks exactly like athletic tape. Its like a fabric tape. Your harness should have some on it, its the really crispy sh!t that breaks off because its super old. You put it on because it is more durable than electrical tape, however it doesnt stick very well to wires so i put the elec tape underneath first. www.empiretape.com/images/webfrictiontape.jpg

turbo addict

Oh, never mind thats not the stuff im talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by kuzman83 View Post
    you can get it at home depot it looks exactly like athletic tape. Its like a fabric tape. Your harness should have some on it, its the really crispy sh!t that breaks off because its super old. You put it on because it is more durable than electrical tape, however it doesnt stick very well to wires so i put the elec tape underneath first. www.empiretape.com/images/webfrictiontape.jpg
    I have some Audi tape thats seems similar. It sticks like crazy to itself. Once I pulled a piece loose it didn't feel that tacky. Thats what I'm using on my harness to re-wrap. It kind of "looks" like what you'd wrap a hockey stick handle with I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aries Pics 035.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	18448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aries Pics 036.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	232.9 KB 
ID:	18449  

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

That audi tape is the right stuff. Friction tape works ok but after a few months it does break down and dry out.

I use use a rag and some simple green for a majority of the cleaning. Holding the rag soaked with stuff and pulling each wire through individually with a little force. I figure if its gonna break or crumble insulation I'd rather find it then and not after its all bundled up.

Cool, thanks. I agree, find flaws now not later.

I have some Audi tape thats seems similar. It sticks like crazy to itself. Once I pulled a piece loose it didn't feel that tacky. Thats what I'm using on my harness to re-wrap. It kind of "looks" like what you'd wrap a hockey stick handle with I guess.
    Where did you get that if you don't mind me asking?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Where did you get that if you don't mind me asking?
    I work at Audi. PN#000-979-950 13.50 list, 9.00 my cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast