Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G to Swirl Head Swap

G to Swirl Head Swap

Hey All,
    I'm making the swap from a G-head to a swirl. I just have a few questions (for now) that I haven't found answers to.

#1 - Is any gasket-maker (permatex ultra black, etc) needed between the intake/exhaust manifold and head?

#2 - When bolting the turbo to the exhaust manifold, other than cleaning the flange surface, is there a gasket or gasket material that needs to be applied?

Thanks in advance! More questions will come soon...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: G to Swirl Head Swap

Just put the intake/exhaust gasket on and put thread sealer on the exhaust manifold studs.

No gasket for the turbo but if it looks a bit rough, I use Hi temp copper RTV or wheel bearing grease.

Don't forget to change the cal if running a G-head cal.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Just put the intake/exhaust gasket on and put thread sealer on the exhaust manifold studs.

No gasket for the turbo but if it looks a bit rough, I use Hi temp copper RTV or wheel bearing grease.

Don't forget to change the cal if running a G-head cal.
    Thanks!

Are the thread sealers temperature specific, like the permatex red/blue/black?

I currently still have the G head cal, but will get the tune re-done before it sees any boost.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs422 View Post
    Thanks!

Are the thread sealers temperature specific, like the permatex red/blue/black?

I currently still have the G head cal, but will get the tune re-done before it sees any boost.
    Just use Permatex thread sealer, it's white.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Is it a 2.2 or a 2.5? I cant remember the exact 2.2 g timing table but if its a 2.5 I would not run it with the g-head cal even with no boost. It has a lot more timing out of boost. As it goes into boost timing drops off.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

OK, next question:

The MiniMopar site recommends using mineral spirits and/or naphtha to clean the cylinder head and block mounting surfaces.

Where do I get these cleaners? Is this just local auto parts-store stuff? Would paint thinner work similarly?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

brake clean always worked fine for me
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Quote Originally Posted by turbo84voyager View Post
    brake clean always worked fine for me
    +2, Brake cleaner is all you need,

Thanks! Just picked up some brake cleaner and thread sealant this afternoon...

Next up, I'm going to be swapping the TBI cam from this old G head:

to this head (stock swirl with backcut valves):

I have a fair amount of engine "theory" knowledge, but very little experience working on internal components like this.

As far as swapping the cam, it's just a matter of swapping the parts to the new head, and then following the correct sequence to tighten the cam, right? I still need to search for the correct sequence and torque specs.

Is there a special lubricant I need to apply before dropping the cam into the head?

Thank you for your patience with my ignorance!

I found this diagram on the autozone website. It says to use "Mopar gasket maker" on the front and rear camshaft bearing caps.

Is this equivalent to the permatex ultra black gasket maker?

Thanks!

Hybrid booster

Hey Eric,

as already stated you might want to take a look at the timing table in your ECU before running it!

other than that it seems like you're on the right path. if you come up with the correct torque sequence and torque spec for the cam, would you let me know so and post them up here?

i used some random kind of engine assy lube for the cam. i suppose if you give it a good clean and lube it up with oil you should be good to go. oh and don't mix up those head caps but i guess you already know that
    good luck

edit: dunno about this rear cam bearing cap but i didn't use any sealant there? could be wrong though and i just got lucky without any leaks

Here's what I have found so far. The images are from the autozone online repair manual...

turbo addict

OK, next question:

The MiniMopar site recommends using mineral spirits and/or naphtha to clean the cylinder head and block mounting surfaces.

Where do I get these cleaners? Is this just local auto parts-store stuff? Would paint thinner work similarly?
    You can get Mineral Spirits/Naptha at the Tractor Supply store or any place that sells oil based paint. It does work better than brake clean because it does not evaporate quickly, allowing it to break to greese, and and oil so you can wipe it off.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I found this diagram on the autozone website. It says to use "Mopar gasket maker" on the front and rear camshaft bearing caps.

Is this equivalent to the permatex ultra black gasket maker?

Thanks!
    You need to use anerobic sealant there. regular rtv would be too thick

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...et_Maker_b.htm

Is the anaerobic sealer to keep it from leaking oil on the sides of the head? If so, that would explain a little why I always see oil there. I've never used it on any work I've done on the head, but never hurts to use the anaerobic sealer. It seals/cures without air I believe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89_Engine_9_54-small.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	19185  
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

i think your rear cam cap/cover is different from g-head to swirl, i think swirl is bigger, so if you put the g-head cam cover/cap in the swirl head it will fall out and spew oil everywhere, including your clutch, and thats bad news bears. i haven't done this, but i bought a car that this had happend to

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    i think your rear cam cap/cover is different from g-head to swirl, i think swirl is bigger, so if you put the g-head cam cover/cap in the swirl head it will fall out and spew oil everywhere, including your clutch, and thats bad news bears. i haven't done this, but i bought a car that this had happend to
    Hmm. I was about to say that the cam is all installed and ready to go. I'll have to take a closer look.

Next questions:

#1 - Which is easier - to bolt up the intake manifold to the head first, or the exhaust manifold first?

#2 - I have MP performance headbolts. Should I pre-lubricate them with motor oil before I install, and will this change my torque specs? Thanks!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The factory torque specs are based upon lubing the bolt threads with motor oil.

turbo addict

Rear cam cap seal is the same between bathtub and fastburns.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Is the anaerobic sealer to keep it from leaking oil on the sides of the head? If so, that would explain a little why I always see oil there. I've never used it on any work I've done on the head, but never hurts to use the anaerobic sealer. It seals/cures without air I believe.
    Thanks for posting those torque specs!!

Is that 4-step sequence for the headbolts (45-65-65-1/4 turn) all with the engine cold? Or do I need to re-torque the MP head bolts after a hot-cold cycle ?(assuming that I can get this thing to start up )

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast