Thread: Hot wire the starter?

Hybrid booster

Hot wire the starter?

im tired of trying to diagnose this starter problem. it works fine. now is there a wire under the dash i can use to splice in a push button start? or do i have to run a wire straight from the solenoid positive and negative?

thanks
    kyle

Re: Hot wire the starter?

I'll look at the wiring diagrams, but to do push button, you'll need to connect the two wires at the key to the button. Let me see if I can find the two.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I'll look at the wiring diagrams, but to do push button, you'll need to connect the two wires at the key to the button. Let me see if I can find the two.
    thanks mini. i have full power when i turn the forward, but when i go to crank it all i get is the relay clicking. ive been through everything, but i think the problem is in the wiring somewhere.

I did my dads dakota, didnt use any factory wiring, ran a wire from the battery (or fuse box, I forget) to a universal horn button, then back out to the solenoid on the starter, works everytime. Something went bad in his pcm.

Here are the ignition circuit wires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG 
Views:	752 
Size:	446.8 KB 
ID:	17522   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	232.1 KB 
ID:	17523  
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE View Post
    thanks mini. i have full power when i turn the forward, but when i go to crank it all i get is the relay clicking. ive been through everything, but i think the problem is in the wiring somewhere.
    Well if the relay is clicking, I wouldn't think it's in the column. I could be wrong on that, but my guess would be a fuse or continuity with the brown wire to the starter solenoid. I haven't had wiring problems for a while, so I'm just guessing.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

If your relay is clicking the ignition switch is ok.

How is your ground wire to the engine block? If the engine is not properly grounded it will not start.

One easy way to test the starter is to take the brown wire going to the starter and touch it to the positive terminal on the battery. If it cranks the starter is ok and your problem is between there and the relay. Make sure you have a constant 12 volts at the relay. This will be on one of the 2 larger gauge wires. If you do jump this to the other larger gauge wire ( should be brown). If it starts its your relay. The others must be ok since your relay is clicking. The other 2 are small gauge wires and are a 12 volts from the ignition switch ( usuially yelow) and a ground which if its a stick is grounded or if its an auto runs through the neutral safety switch. Remember, just because a relay is clicking does not mean it is good. I have had them with worn out contacts and they will click but not complete the circuit.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Hybrid booster

great advise guys thanks. i will try that. today i went to play with it some more and i got the relay going wild again, but then with the key on the power flickered on and off a few times. now i have to power at all when i turn the key.

?????????????more crap!

kyle

Hybrid booster

well i found the power issue inside the main ground to the block. but it still wont turn over. i jumped the solenoid brown wire to the battery and it clicks but doesnt turn over.

Hybrid booster

dammit...its probably my starter isnt it? a bad engine ground wouldnt have made my starter go out would it have?

turbo addict

it could

Hybrid booster

I am having the same issue atm, we tested the starter out of the car- checks out fine. Installed it in the car- relay clicks but no go. Tried original relay and a backup relay to no avail. I will check continuity on main ground from cyl head to battery and from battery to strut tower. I also have a 4ga ground from the injector rail bolt (by the regulator) to the firewall. *All grounds were scraped clean down to metal.
    Any other ideas? I'm running out as well. I might go to Advance and grab a NEW relay to rule that out. All power leads check out including fuseable links using at test light fwiw.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

A bad ground would most likely cause a higher resistance in the starter motor circuit. This would cause it to pull a high amp load thru the starter motor(not the solenoid). This could burn out a starter quickly.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Hybrid booster

well....i guess i need a new starter. thanks guys.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I've never liked testing alt or starters off the car. I have seen many of them test good, but when put back on, no go. Replace it with new or good reman and all is fine. My other .02.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

TurboII

just posting so i can find this later....

Did you get the starter tested yet? Please keep us updated.