Thread: smoke show

Hybrid booster

smoke show

Lately my Daytona has been putting out smoke like crazy. Last time I drove it, it was leaving a huge blue cloud every time I stopped and idled. So I parked it and left it until yesterday when I started it up and let it idle for a few minutes. I unhooked the PCV hose while it was running and I saw nothing out of the ordinary there just a gentle puff. By the time I shut it off there was a cloud of smoke that looked like we were burning garbage or something. I took the downpipe off the turbo to see if there was any oil residue but there was nothing, ran my finger in there and only got carbon. This motor never burned oil before but I'm thinking my lack of a blow off valve might have blown an oil seal in the original Garrett turbo. Valve seals/rings wouldn't just go bad like that right? My first instinct is to pull the turbo.

boostaholic

Re: smoke show

Did you pull off an intercooler hose to see if there's oil in there? I would assume that there could be oil in there, from the turbo, getting burned by the engine and coming out as smoke (IE no oil in the downpipe). check that!
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Hybrid booster

Just went outside and pulled the intercooler hoses. No oil in them and its pretty clean since last time I looked. The turbo outlet hose was bone dry inside but the one on the TB was kind of moist with oil. I stuck my finger in the inlet of the intercooler and pulled some gritty material out like black oily sand The turbo shaft has some play in it maybe 1/8" but there is not any oil on either side of it. I'll start it tomorrow with the intake hoses removed and see what happens. I could take off the valve cover and see if the oil passages aren't blocked but this head was clean when I installed it not too long ago. I hope I don't have to pull the head again for something dumb like valve seals.

boostaholic

valve stem seals?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by thefitisgay View Post
    valve stem seals?
    +1 to that.

boostaholic

hahaha ya know where i learned that?

honduh kids

Hybrid booster

hooray

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

What do your spark plugs look like?

Can you look inside the cylinders using a pencil type flash light.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Yeah I'd look at the plugs...if they are clean my guess would be the seal on the exhaust side of the turbo
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

u also have to worry about the guides, worn out, lifted/dropped or broken, just recently saw the ends broken off two exhaust guides.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    u also have to worry about the guides, worn out, lifted/dropped or broken, just recently saw the ends broken off two exhaust guides.
    Hey! Me TOO!!!

Hybrid booster

Yeah thats what it is looking like since the turbo hasn't spewed any oil. The plugs were kind of black. No crusty buildup since I only really ran it twice burning oil like that. So it looks like I will be taking my spare head to the machine shop this winter for freshening up and a 3-angle or something like that. Nothing too fancy though, my goal with this car is speed on a budget. I'll probably take the valve cover off sometime, would I be able to spot a broken guide with the valve springs in place?

boostaholic

if you have the manifolds off

Hybrid booster

oh. off with the head then. probably going to wait til spring.

boostaholic

might as well beat the ---- out of it till then

ive been told that burning oil causes knock though

turbo addict

yes, if your burning oil in the combustion chamber you could cause detonation, i burned a piston in my baron before i could make it home with a blown turbo. another friend ran pcv into the supercharger on his built mustang, once the oil made its way through the intercooler it burned 2 pistons, those mustang guys (he wasnt my friend at the time or i would have told him about the pcv when i saw it)

boostaholic

hahaha