Thread: Diagnostic Connector, which wires are needed?

Diagnostic Connector, which wires are needed?

Well I thought I had all the correct wires run for the diagnostic connector, but there seems to be on other wire I need. There is one for the ASD relay signal that comes from teh computer and goes to the ASD relay. Is this wire needed for the diagnostic tools? Just need to know so I can complete my dash install.

The wires I have so far are:

BK* Signal ground from the SMEC
    DB Ignition Feed Input
    PK From the computer
    LG From the computer
    DB/YL ASD Signal

Input appreciated.

EDIT: I wrote the wrong supply for the DB wire, corrected now.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Re: Diagnostic Connector, which wires are needed?

I guess for the SMEC signal ground, can you use ANY ground?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

All of them!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Well I'm asking about the ground in the second question. The one from the computer or any ground?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Well I thought I had all the correct wires run for the diagnostic connector, but there seems to be on other wire I need. There is one for the ASD relay signal that comes from teh computer and goes to the ASD relay. Is this wire needed for the diagnostic tools? Just need to know so I can complete my dash install.

The wires I have so far are:

BK* Signal ground from the SMEC
    DB Ignition Feed Input
    PK From the computer
    LG From the computer
    DB/YL ASD Signal

Input appreciated.

EDIT: I wrote the wrong supply for the DB wire, corrected now.
    I know there are some diagnostic tools that will ground that line to preform fuel pressure tests by grounding the ASD and running the pump. Older snap-ons will do it.

I haven't looked at the exact schematic of the wiring, but I believe it's done so that either the ECU can ground the ASD or your scan tool, and they did it with the minimum amount of wire. I can get you a schematic from 87 or 89 if you'd like.

Any ground should work, as long as you're only looking to actuate the relay. The signal from the ASD to the ecu is a voltage signal taken from the output of the relay.

Well I have the sheet, it's below. I'm just not sure if the ground wire HAS to be from the computer or not. I think I still need the ASD wire for the signal, so I need to pull that one into the car as well.

Sorry, added the diagram for the 2.2 turbo. The other is for the 2.5, but it's the same, just a different position of the connector on the page.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diagnostic.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	19071   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diagnostic22.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	19072