Thread: Short throw shifters for 523/568

turbo addict

Short throw shifters for 523/568

I was looking on the Neon forums for some feedback on the multiple short throw shifters that are out in the market. These will fit our TD's that have 523/543/568's in them. Maddog,TWN Performance, Mopar STS seem to be the most popular. Others like B&M, Fidanza, and the Chinese knockoffs are also out there. I also seem to remember one style that had a threaded ball on it to adjust the fulcrum point. Can't remember who made that one. Anyone have any real world experience with any of them used in our older school TD's?
    Todd

boostaholic

Re: Short throw shifters for 523/568

personally i'd go maddog, I drove a 1g neon with that sts, needless to say i'm going to be buying one for my 523 I had a fidenza in my sundance, it was shorter, but no comparison to the maddog in the neon.
    -Jim Too many cars, not enough time..

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Hurst and B&M no longer make the neon shifter......Fidanza is great for the price, the maddog is very nice buy 3 times the cost. I use both (on different cars of course), plus Jackson Simler also makes a custom STS for the a568/a523
    later
    Cindy
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

I had to modify my shifter base to really take advantage of my adjustable STS
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I recommend MadDog, he's a T-M Vendor

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Okay did a search for Maddog on this forum. Didn't realize he was a TM vendor. Found some pics of his STS for 520/555's. He raises the fulcrum point quite a bit. I've installed six 555 and 568's into L-bodies and getting it to fit under the stock boot/console is already tight (without raising the fulcrum point). Has anybody successfully fit a Maddog STS into a L-body and retained the stock boot /console? I personally don't see how it would fit without changing the boot at least.
    Todd

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I recommend MadDog, he's a T-M Vendor
    Good to know JT. I PM'd him on this thread.
    Todd

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

I highly recommend Jackson Simler aka Lotashelbys. I have had one of his STS in my R/T for awhile and I love it. I can go compare the height to the stocker since I have my interior out right now, lmk.
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

turbo addict

The Jackson shifter is a very nice piece!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Okay did a search for Maddog on this forum. Didn't realize he was a TM vendor. Found some pics of his STS for 520/555's. He raises the fulcrum point quite a bit. I've installed six 555 and 568's into L-bodies and getting it to fit under the stock boot/console is already tight (without raising the fulcrum point). Has anybody successfully fit a Maddog STS into a L-body and retained the stock boot /console? I personally don't see how it would fit without changing the boot at least.
    Todd
    I had to change the boot, but I used the one that came with the shifter so the boot now extends up to the shift knob.
    Looking at MadDogs pictures, it would probably work IF you did change the boot. from what I recall, just changing to the 523 shifter caused inteference problems with my stock boot, and it looked goofy. I had to mess with the placement quite a bit to get it as close to stock as possible.

I didn't buy a sts, just made my own. I just move the ball up about an inch, and lengthened the gate lever by about 1/2 inch. I had to use spacers for everything to clear.
    - Dave MacArthur '83 Shelby Charger - TII conversion ("The Mistress") '08 Ranger '04 Malibu '12 Can Am Spyder RT

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    I had to change the boot, but I used the one that came with the shifter so the boot now extends up to the shift knob.
    Looking at MadDogs pictures, it would probably work IF you did change the boot. from what I recall, just changing to the 523 shifter caused inteference problems with my stock boot, and it looked goofy. I had to mess with the placement quite a bit to get it as close to stock as possible.

I didn't buy a sts, just made my own. I just move the ball up about an inch, and lengthened the gate lever by about 1/2 inch. I had to use spacers for everything to clear.
    Dave, all good info thank you. Yeah like I said the stock 520/523 shifter barely fits (and requires massaging). Car is in storage at the moment, but if I recall barely clears the stock boot. I think I actually had to trim the three studs that hold down the top aluminum piece. It's that close already.
    Many years ago I tried heating a shifter lever up. Got the ball cherry red and it wouldn't budge. Didn't want to wreck the shifter ball so I gave up and never tried it again. Good to know someone was successful. I guess Chrysler didn't want those balls to move!
    Todd

Hybrid booster

I think someone on here, or TD.com went before me... I got the idea off one of these forums a couple years ago.
    As for placement, I moved the shifter a little forward from what I've seen in the past. I place the ball slightly forward of where the pivot point was for the original shifter, and also put a sharper bend in the shifter rod itself. I don't know how many times that shifter went in and came back out.... Then getting the tabs positioned so the original console could fasten back up... what a PITA!!!
    - Dave MacArthur '83 Shelby Charger - TII conversion ("The Mistress") '08 Ranger '04 Malibu '12 Can Am Spyder RT

boostaholic

Maddog all the way.I love the Maddog STS I have in the van.Its the top off the line one with all the bells and whistles.Ive used B&M and Hurst short throws in Neons and they are junk compared to the Maddog.I did have to trim the plastic around the boot area to make it fit.The boot covers up the trimming though.I think im the only van one chuck has made so far.

boostaholic

Heres a few pics of my 523-543-568 shifter.....

turbo addict

Thanks for the photos Jackson. Interesting that you raise the frame of the shifter and Maddog raises the ball instead. Both accomplishing the same thing using completely different approach.
    Doesn't look like either design will fit in the L-body w/o work to the console, floorpan, and alternate boot. Just not enough room.
    Todd

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Todd, Chuck (Maddog) lives nearby and I've got plenty of L-bodies/consoles around for test fitment if he needs to try and mock something up for you. Have one of his shifters in my daily driver neon and love it.
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Todd, Chuck (Maddog) lives nearby and I've got plenty of L-bodies/consoles around for test fitment if he needs to try and mock something up for you. Have one of his shifters in my daily driver neon and love it.
    Dave, thanks for the offer to help with any mock up.
    Todd

I really need to clean that thing up and paint it.
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Hybrid booster

I got a fidanza and love it. works great!