Thread: 2006 Kia Rio

2006 Kia Rio

Took the Spirit off the road today. Had a 2006 Kia sitting in storage for about 6 months. Everything was fine when I put it up. Upon starting it up the airbag and check engine lights came on. Tried unhooking and rehooking the battery and the engine light went out but the airbag light is still on. Haynes doesn't have a manual yet for this model. Any clues as to whats going on? Thanks to all who respond. G.P.

Hybrid booster

Re: 2006 Kia Rio

I would wager probably high resistance in a connector somewhere. May try disconnecting any Air bag connector you can find and check for corrosion. Or also possibly somewhere that a rodent used some wiring to make a new home.
    [COLOR="Red"][B][I]Turbo Cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix they'll rock your world![/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]2005 Dodge Neon - *15.88@85* - Daily Driver[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]1985 Dodge Shelby Charger - Project Car[/COLOR]

boostaholic

Get the codes scanned or you're just wasting your time.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

boostaholic

Also check the clock spring. See if your horn is working or if you hear scratchy noises in the column when turning the wheel from lock to lock. Thats a good sign the clock spring snapped. Its no biggie and an easy fix.

turbo addict

clock spring on a 06 already? well it is a kia
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Thanks for the info guys. And yes, raccoon, KIA stands for "kicked in (the) ***

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Big_P View Post
    Get the codes scanned or you're just wasting your time.
    +100

Hybrid booster

also, disconnecting the battery "MAY" not clear an Air Bag code. You may need a scanner regardless.
    [COLOR="Red"][B][I]Turbo Cars are like hot women. A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix they'll rock your world![/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]2005 Dodge Neon - *15.88@85* - Daily Driver[/COLOR] [COLOR="DarkRed"]1985 Dodge Shelby Charger - Project Car[/COLOR]

boostaholic

Heck I have replaced them on Fords after 6 months.

boostaholic

Pulling the battery cable shouldn't remove OBD2 engine codes either. Probably moved them to "history" codes, it's probably still in the computer.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Alot of newer cars will trip the air bag light if the voltage is really low for a bit as it won't pass it's internal tests. Charge up the battery and try it again.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Big_P View Post
    Pulling the battery cable shouldn't remove OBD2 engine codes either. Probably moved them to "history" codes, it's probably still in the computer.
    If the battery is disconnected long enough to completely discharge the KAM then it will. If the PCM is completely drained it won't retain codes. Saves me the time clearing codes when I put a trans in a Honda, which is like once a week.

boostaholic

Or buy yourself a scan tool

Yes, picked one up last week. No trouble codes.

boostaholic

You sure you picked up an Airbag scan tool or just an Autozone "Code Reader"?