Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Rangers?

Ford Rangers?

OK Before you guyz assemble a lynch-n party.
    I'm posing this question cuz a co-worker is shoppin for a good used Ford Ranger pickup, a cheap one.
    What have you heard or experienced?
    Let debate ensue............................now.

turbo addict

Re: Ford Rangers?

There is a kid in my class with one. We make fun of him every single day. One of these days he is going to bring a gun to school and shoot us. He seems to love them. They seem like ok trucks. Dakota > ranger.

boostaholic

nothing wrong with a Ranger.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Mitsu booster

Ranger's are great trucks! I've had my 98 since new and it hasn't given my any problems and now it has over 200K miles.

The gas mileage on the 4.0 is kinda weak, but I didn't buy it for that. I have driven it like I stole it for 11 years and it just begs for more.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my Dodge in fact I have 2, a Dak and a 95 1500 4x4, but I will always have a Ford Ranger as my DD.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

I had one. Reliable little cuss. Would not recommend the 4 cylinder due to a lack of power. Plus the gas milage is not much better than the 6.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I've got a DD that's a 02 with over 240K and still runs like a top! I would have preferred the extended cab, but the even the newer standard cabs (like mine) fit me fine, I'm 6'2"ish. It's a 4x4 and so it's kinda heavy for the wee 3.0L, but still gets out of it's own way, thanks partly to the tow package it has, which includes a LSD and 4.10 gears!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Rangers are great, only due to thier name. A little time spent on the badges rewards you with satisfaction it is an ill-content little truck, an anger.

A freind's truck where the Anger idea came from.

“If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
    Now don't get me wrong, I love my Dodge in fact I have 2, a Dak and a 95 1500 4x4, but I will always have a Ford Ranger as my DD.
    WTF does that mean?

Are you trying to say that Mopar= unreliable for daily duty??
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

my buddy has one its a funny little truck

Hybrid booster

I think they are good trucks. Would rather have a dakota but you cant go wrong with a ranger. My friend bought one with a bad transfer case... transfer case turned into a bent output shaft which meant he needed a new transmission. Thats a "special" case though since the transfer case was run dry and it seized then went SNAP! lol

Garrett booster

Danger Rangers are good trucks. Very tough, easy to work on, cheap to maintain and pretty reliable..hence why they've been making the same damn truck since 1993. Just avoid the early ones with the 2.9 V6..those are junk.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    hence why they've been making the same damn truck since 1993.

Ive seen early 80s Rangers with he same under pinning still used today. no expert but it all looks the same.

mazda 2200 pickups are rangers too.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

boostaholic

I used to have a great 91 Ranger with the 3.0 V6, 5spd, and electronic 4wd. The automatic locking hubs on the Rangers and Explorers were pretty crappy, but I think you can still get manual locking hubs and the conversion kit for less than $300. I left mine locked all the time and still got about 19mpg mixed driving.

The only thing I didn't like about the truck was that it couldn't tow my car. The 3.0 never would have had the guts to do it, and the truck really didn't weigh enough to tow the car on a real trailer. A tow dolly may have been OK. I've towed the car on a Dolly in a 90s Ford Exploder with the 4.0 in it before and it did fine.

boostaholic

Pretty cool. I came very close to buying a 4cyl 2wd before I bought my Cruiser. They're just so cheap.

I think the 4cyl 5 speeds get 26 highway.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Big_P View Post
    Pretty cool. I came very close to buying a 4cyl 2wd before I bought my Cruiser. They're just so cheap.

I think the 4cyl 5 speeds get 26 highway.
    They are rated at that. Mine only got 21 on the highway. Never talked to anyone that came close to rated mpg.

Hybrid booster

is there a a ranger that would tow my omni on a dolly?
    what year package would be best??

think budget ! I am looking toward this for maybe next year...

thanks
    Gene

boostaholic

I think any year ranger with the 4.0L would be able to handle that just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bohn View Post
    is there a a ranger that would tow my omni on a dolly?
    what year package would be best??

think budget ! I am looking toward this for maybe next year...

thanks

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor turbo84voyager's Avatar

Like it was stated above and I am sure not many are left, avoid a 2.9. The 3.0 and 4.0 are good engines. Make sure the trans shifts right if its an auto. Also be careful of the early 4.0 SOHC motors. They had some timing chain problems. The OHV 4.0's are fine but they tend to crack heads with high mileage or if overheated. My machinist said they are roller motors and can be pricey to rebuild. I have seen lots with 200+ with very little problems.
    Justin
    84 Plymouth Voyager LE 2.5 Intercooled Turbo 5-spd - Only 84 Turbo Van!
    89 Dodge Caravan ES 2.4 SRT-4 Intercooled Turbo (46 trim, OS Valves, CP Pistons, Eagle Rods, NPR IC) Built 31th trans
    91 Dodge Shadow Convertible 2.5 Intercooled Turbo A555 5-spd
    01 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.8 supercharged! Only 5K miles....
    01 Subaru Forester - Daily Driver
    07 Yamaha FJR 1300 140+ HP on 2 wheels
    85 Honda Nighthawk 450
    94 Bobcat 763 Skidloader 2.2 Kubota Diesel
    SV-SDAC Member

Garrett booster

The 4.0 SOHC with the timing chain on the BACK of the engine! I think those were only in the Exploders.

boostaholic

YUP! Not fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast