Thread: intake mani swap quistion's

Garrett booster

intake mani swap quistion's

I recently bought an 85 t1 laser an i was wondering if my car would still run rite if i put my t2 intake mani on there with the 85 electronic's an the stock log injector's? i read on td.com that it should still run fine as long as i use the stock injector's an dont go above 12psi wondering how true this is.

an if i do decide to intercool it an put in the t2 injector's would this ECU http://www.fwdperformance.com/Store/...&ProductID=373 work for it as far as still runing correctly? my car also has a cam but im unsure of the spec's on it how would i find out when i pull the cam?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: intake mani swap quistion's

Not really, the log setup fuels the cylinders differently so it would be uneven running a T2 intake. I know 85 is a weird year but your best bet is to get a later wiring harness and swap over to a newer T2 computer.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Not really, the log setup fuels the cylinders differently so it would be uneven running a T2 intake. I know 85 is a weird year but your best bet is to get a later wiring harness and swap over to a newer T2 computer.
    yea i said the same thing about the injector's but i figured he might know somthing i didnt . how much of a pita is it to swap over to say 87 shelby-z wiring harness? i never done a t2 swap b4 an i've been told that the 85 are a bit more difficult to t2 y is that?

turbo addict

Simon is right other than it's 84 being the bastard year. 85's can either run a 86/87 GLHS lbody ECU with the addition of 2 wires for the AIS (can't remember if wires have to be relocated in the plugs for the GLHS stuff off to the top of my head) Or you can go to 87 ShelbyZ/CSX T2 electronics by moving some wires around at the LM plugs and adding 4 total wires and an underhood map. I like the 87 T2 wiring myself, it's simple and you get a better map setup. If you're gonna go through the trouble of converting the engine over to T2 then the wiring is a cake walk. Now if you just needed to run the stock wiring to get by for a couple weeks till you could get to the wiring then sure but I'd run under 5psi of boost and baby it around town.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

85s have some different pin locations on the LM from 87, would have to move some pins around but you could keep the harness with those minor mods.

And also it would definitely still run on the 85 computer with a later intake. You just wouldnt have idle motor control until you changed the computer and added some wires.

rich on two cylinders is a relative thing since most people run rich on all 4 cylinders anyway on stockish cars.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    85s have some different pin locations on the LM from 87, would have to move some pins around but you could keep the harness with those minor mods.

And also it would definitely still run on the 85 computer with a later intake. You just wouldnt have idle motor control until you changed the computer and added some wires.

rich on two cylinders is a relative thing since most people run rich on all 4 cylinders anyway on stockish cars.
    so it would still run an drive just fine until i changed the computer an wires on low boost like 6ish? im still kinda a noob when it come's to this stuff lol

yes definitely. I just ran a log computer t2 converted car up to 13 psi the other day. It had other problems but the computer wasnt one of them.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Simon is right other than it's 84 being the bastard year.
    Crap, lol.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

85 is still kinda effed cause it has the earlier ignition though

I think the plugs are the same.. you may be able to drop on a later distributor and computer and plug em both into the modified 85 harness just fine.. but i havent tried so only a thought.

turbo addict

i had an 85 le baron, i put the swirl head on it and had to swap to 86 electronics to run right, still internal map sensor, connectors were the same, but i had to swap out distributor to the short one. im about to t2 the baron now, but im going to use glhs computer (because i already have it, and my friend had problems converting his to external map sensor?). its very simple with the right wiring, i converted my 86 log omni to t2 using the glhs computer, which now has stage 2 computer.

you can fabricate a harness fairly easy, it takes a little but of wiring knowledge, but it is very easy to add 2 extra pins to the computer. you can source all the parts except computer from the junkyard, for free if you put them in your pocket, you just need some wire cutters or a pocket knife. i would bye the stage 2 lm glhs computer, and get an intercooler, its worth it.

do you still have the 287 head on it? its also called the g-head or bath tub head

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by OmniLuvr View Post
    i had an 85 le baron, i put the swirl head on it and had to swap to 86 electronics to run right, still internal map sensor, connectors were the same, but i had to swap out distributor to the short one. im about to t2 the baron now, but im going to use glhs computer (because i already have it, and my friend had problems converting his to external map sensor?). its very simple with the right wiring, i converted my 86 log omni to t2 using the glhs computer, which now has stage 2 computer.

you can fabricate a harness fairly easy, it takes a little but of wiring knowledge, but it is very easy to add 2 extra pins to the computer. you can source all the parts except computer from the junkyard, for free if you put them in your pocket, you just need some wire cutters or a pocket knife. i would bye the stage 2 lm glhs computer, and get an intercooler, its worth it.

do you still have the 287 head on it? its also called the g-head or bath tub head
    i dont think it still has the g-head anymore but then again i havent really looked. the car droped a valve yesterday so im either gona sell it or fix it which ever come's first i got alot of bill's to pay an i really cant afford for this to be one of them so t2 conversion is off until further notice