Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Station Wagons

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Old Station Wagons

I'm wondering where I could read about 60s and 70s Chrysler wagons? I would love to have one for tow/family truckster duty. I would like to get a jump on this so I will be ready for some SDAC towing and south west USA traveling in a couple years.

Suggestions?

boostaholic

Re: Old Station Wagons

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I'm wondering where I could read about 60s and 70s Chrysler wagons? I would love to have one for tow/family truckster duty. I would like to get a jump on this so I will be ready for some SDAC towing and south west USA traveling in a couple years.

Suggestions?

Allpar or wagonsofsteel.com Ive been wanting a old bbody wagon for quite sometime now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    Allpar or wagonsofsteel.com Ive been wanting a old bbody wagon for quite sometime now.
    Thanks for the wagons of steel link. The pic looks like something I could get into, but there isn't a whole lot of info on there for what I'm after.

The only thing I don't like about allpar for this research is that they don't do a good job of breaking down the models by which were offered as a wagon. I guess I will just need to dig deeper on their site.

boostaholic

Thanks for the wagons of steel link. The pic looks like something I could get into, but there isn't a whole lot of info on there for what I'm after.

The only thing I don't like about allpar for this research is that they don't do a good job of breaking down the models by which were offered as a wagon. I guess I will just need to dig deeper on their site.

Yeah wagons of steel wasnt what I thought it would be.Allpar is ver difficult to navigate.Ebay is a good source too.I saw one on there a month or so that they wanted 4300 for and supposely ran 12's.

Hybrid booster

There aren't any good Mopar specific wagon sites/forums that I know of . Most 4-door DPCD models were offered as a wagon (except Imperial & post '66 A-body) any idea what you're looking for ?? A/B/C/F/M body ??? Any particular year ???

I've been searching for a '71-'73 Coronet Crestwood w/Pistol Grip forever .....

Quote Originally Posted by spyder View Post
    There aren't any good Mopar specific wagon sites/forums that I know of . Most 4-door DPCD models were offered as a wagon (except Imperial & post '66 A-body) any idea what you're looking for ?? A/B/C/F/M body ??? Any particular year ???

I've been searching for a '71-'73 Coronet Crestwood w/Pistol Grip forever .....

Wow, that is a nice wagon!

Did Mopar ever make one which has the rear facing seat, or two rows of seating? I have a big dog and want to take it along with a couple kids on super long road trips with my summers off someday.

I am a little embarrassed to admit it, but I can't tell you much about the older cars by body code or anything so that is why I want to start my research now.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Yes the B-body and C-body wagons could be had with rear facing 3rd seat. I personally like the 71-78 B-body wagons (Satellite, Coronet). The C-bodys (Monaco, Fury*) are too big for my taste. *I think after 1975 the B-body wagons were called Furys under the Plymouth line. If you watch ebay nice wagons turn up from time to time.

I also like the 94-96 GM big wagons. They had the LT1 corvette engine and you can find decent Caprice and Roadmasters out there. They were also rated 25mpg highway.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Yes the B-body and C-body wagons could be had with rear facing 3rd seat. I personally like the 71-78 B-body wagons (Satellite, Coronet). The C-bodys (Monaco, Fury*) are too big for my taste. *I think after 1975 the B-body wagons were called Furys under the Plymouth line. If you watch ebay nice wagons turn up from time to time.

I also like the 94-96 GM big wagons. They had the LT1 corvette engine and you can find decent Caprice and Roadmasters out there. They were also rated 25mpg highway.
    Thanks for the info. I really want one with the rear facing seat so this is going to work out well.

I did not realize that the LT1 roadmaster and caprice cars were rated that highly for mpgs, but I'm really trying to keep it Mopar on this one.

turbo addict

how about a roadmaster buick estate?

I parked next to this exact version today. never seen one up till today, really cool roof. has a 350

its on a collectible car lists. for rareness I would guess.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post

I parked next to this exact version today. never seen one up till today, really cool roof. has a 350

its on a collectible car lists. for rareness I would guess.
    Wow, that is actually pretty cool.

turbo addict

it would tow no problem too.

those very far rear windows are different then what you see on regular caprice wagons. wonder if the back sections are power or something?

more images
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Hybrid booster

A body

Early B

Mid B & C

Late B

C = HUGE

F

M-The "Family Truckster" prototype....

Damn Dude , I nearly created a website.....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post

I always disliked the styling of those cars , even the Impala aSS looked horrible....

I had a 74 and 76 Town and Country. The 440 was good for 16 mpg on the highway or 18 going over the edge of the Grand Canyon. I used it to tow the scout trailer on camp outs. I would keep up with the Scout Masters quad four? I still have a front clip minus the left fender and side skirts from a 76 Newport.
    Yes they had the rear facing seat. You are going to find good ones in the usual places Fl, Ca, Az. Oh, the 440 exhaust mani burn the valve cover gaskets in no time flat. And the carb floats are plastic covered foam that sink and suck gas. Mine had a copper float that was never made (long story about my wife's uncle that started the congressional investigation on the foam floats.
    I gave it to a friend's kid with the warning to not mess with the tilt wheel (I had one burn the wiring because of a short there). Well he roasted the whole car! Factory
    Chrome wheels from the Newport, new carpet, new hand stitched front seat, new vinyl wood trim. Went to the junkyard.

There is some great info in here guys. I'm looking forward to this search.

Hybrid booster

There is some great info in here guys. I'm looking forward to this search.
    Wait , I already found the perfect car !!!

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...try-wagon.html

Quote Originally Posted by spyder View Post
    Wait , I already found the perfect car !!!

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...try-wagon.html
    That thing is really nice, but out of my price range at the present for sure.

I forgot to mention that my 76 T&C had 4 hash marks. two chevys, one Ford, and my wife added a Volvo. My wife totaled the Volvo and the TC wouldn't have any damage except the bumper shock shattered and the bumper fell. That took out the lf fender and grill. No frame damage.
    BUT it died under the care of a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    I forgot to mention that my 76 T&C had 4 hash marks. two chevys, one Ford, and my wife added a Volvo. My wife totaled the Volvo and the TC wouldn't have any damage except the bumper shock shattered and the bumper fell. That took out the lf fender and grill. No frame damage.
    BUT it died under the care of a teenager.
    This piques my interest.

My 74 had rusting doors so I went junking. I found the 76 that was imaculate from the windshield back. I found something under the seat with the owners name and called. She had swerved and hit 2 chevys and a ford. Insurance company totaled it. Absolutely NO rust and no scratches. But that vinyl really fades fast. I think I paid 220 for it and put the 74 front on it. After my wife hit the Volvo, I got a 76 Newport for another 200 and put on the fender and grill. That one had a factory sunroof and the factory chrome wheels and rear fender skirts.
    I had a 64 Dodge 50th anniversary vert that I bought for 50 that had a blown engine. The tire shop I worked at switched the whole drive train, rebuilt the brakes and suspension and installed a new top in 12 hours during the slow summer. These cars definitely didn't have crunch zones. I rear ended a chevy with that and totalled the chevy. The only damage was where my wife's knee hit the dash.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast