Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: TIII head

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Re: TIII head

No, the cams slide out without removing the valves etc. In the very 1st pic on post #15 you can see the cam keepers far left at the end of each cam. they are black and help in place by two 8mm nuts, remove the keepers and the cam slides out(careful and slow so you dont damage them)along with the cam seal
    Carroll

SILVER, 85 GLH-R/T, TIII powered, Fueltech, ID1300's. PTE5857
    RED, 91 Spirit R/T - Holset HE351 - 12.6 @ 107...R.I.P.

i may try it,dont wanna break nothin

turbo addict

yea i was going to post this just now till i seen him post it. Well not necessarily how to do it but just say the cams have to come out to see the journals. as far as how to do it i wouldnt knoe cus i never seen these heads in person lol.

i do know the cams spin fine,im afraid to take them out cause i dont want to screw nothin up

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

It really is a piece of cake to remove the cams. Just like Carroll described above, all you should need is a ratchet and 8mm socket. I use a small crow bar with rags all around it to avoid scratching/scraping to pry the cam outwards in the direction of the cam seal. Once the seals pop out, the cams should pull out by hand easily.

ill give it a try,i got jackson wanting the cams anyway,just trying to hold off on selling anything separate at the moment

turbo addict

they can still spin fine if the journals are worn and they will spin GREAT if the journals are worn badly hahahaha. ur gonna hve to take them out unless someone buys the head under a not care mentality but i doubt that will happen. Chances are they are ok im sure. bad oil pressure is why they would have worn OR debris flowing in the oil.

ill post up pics when i get them out

they are not sliding out very easily?they move a little but i dont want to just yank them out and damage somethin

Did you completely remove the cam retainers on the driver side of the head? After removing the 8mm nuts, you gotta pull the retainers completely off the studs. They can be kinda tight sometimes.

yep,pulled them out

I'd use the crow bar method. Put a rag over the flat end and stick it up against the side of one of the lobes and pry against the head itself, outwards so it slides out the sprocket end. Shouldn't need much motivation to come out, just make sure to use rags or something else to prevent damage to the head or cam while prying. Once the seal breaks loose, they should slide in/out easily.

sounds like a bad idea for a newbie but ill give it a shot

Nah, shouldn't damage anything. With the retainers and all rocker gear out of the way, it's just the cam seals holding them in. Usually they are installed with some kind of sealant on the outer circumference so once the cam pushes on them it will break the dried sealant and allow the cams to slide out. It will take a little pressure but definitely don't force it.

ok,goin to give it a shot

turbo addict

use the gear for leverage. turn it right left twist motion as you jiggle it out. the other cam with no gear if you can put the gear on that cam too just do that with the bolt temporarily so u can do the same thing again.

turbo addict

oh and stop the midnighttoking lol j/k

+1 on the rotating/jiggling. You could also spray the cam down with WD-40 before pulling it out which is probably a good idea if it's been sitting a while.

^ LOL
    i tried and couldnt do it i really am afraid of damaging somethin.i used a good amount of force but i dont want to use any more as stated by iturbo.i have excellent feedback on TD so i dont screw people if that is a concern.i was told by the person i bought it from it was ready to drop in except for the missing cam gear and rockers.if anyone was interested in it local,feel free to pm and stop by to see it for yourself

You could try removing the cam seal first, but you have to be VERY careful not to nick or gouge the cam seal bore surface in the head, that's why I just pry it so the cam itself pushes the seal out.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast