Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 Rampage Rebuild - Project R'age

boostaholic

1984 Rampage Rebuild - Project R'age

Hey guys and gals!

My name is Adam, but I go by 54inches on the net. 54inches is the height of the tires on my Suburban.

Well, I am a diehard Bowtie fan and what's probably worse in you guy's eyes; I love Camaros and have owned three, 68,74,92.

A couple of my buddies that I work FOR ran across the Rampage, that I have nicknamed, the R'age.

It is sort of a build for our team at work and we also want to put it into the Art Car parade.

Here are my goals:

1. Rust repair, very little.
    2. Clean, clean, clean.
    3. Make it a reliable runner.
    4. Make it brake better.
    5. Lower it.
    6. Install a carb spacer and port everything I can.
    7. Get a header.
    8. Lighter wheels with a good set of tires.

Anyways, we are going to bring her to the house this weekend, so I will get some pics.

Any help, suggestions and FREE parts are welcome!

QuestionDisclaimer, I have searched.)

1. What exact parts/vehicle and years do I need to upgrade the brakes on the Rampage. I don't think I need 5 lug for any reason.

Thanks for the site!

turbo addict

Re: 1984 Rampage Rebuild - Project R'age

you can use the vented rotors, calipers and you will need the caliper brackets from a 4 lug 83-84 Shelby Charger. Thats what I did on mine.

boostaholic

What about the 89 and up caravan.

I just saw this on another post that someone answered for me.

Which is better?

turbo addict

mini van brakes are nice, but you will have to go to 5 lug then.

boostaholic

Oh hell, too many choices and answer.....so I will need the caliper brackets for front AND rear and then I can get the calipers and rotors new from the local stop and rob?

turbo addict

yes, except the rears are drums. mainly upgrade the fronts to get rid of the tiny solid disc rotor. If interested I many have a set of the caliper brackets I can check tomorrow.

boostaholic

I know the rears are drums, so my question is do I need caliper bracket for the back too or what?

turbo addict

no just the fronts.

boostaholic

What do I need for back discs?

turbo addict

well your getting into the same thing. rear discs where never made in 4 lug.

boostaholic

ahhhh.....now we are getting into some sh!t....you are wealth of knowledge...so how good are the rear brakes with the front disc upgrade......I plan on shaving some weight and getting this R'age down pretty slim.....

I guess I better go 5 lug, I guess, damn I didn't wnat ot buy new wheels....

turbo addict

glad to help. I went thru the same deal when I was doing my Page. now I working on my second one.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Did someone say free parts?? Here i am, provider of free parts!

Im parting an 89 shadow ES, keeping most of the good stuff for myself but i will give you the stuff to do a basic 5-lug conversion off it and probably a set of 5lug wheels too if you come and get it. It's in San Antonio.

It would be a basic 10.25"/54mm front disc setup and 200 or 220mm drums in the rear. Might not sound familiar now but you'll recognize all these terms after a while. It's a plain jane brake setup but it'd be a big improverment over what you have and it's 0$ and 5-lug.

I've got a few sets of wheels to choose from, 14 and 15" steelies, 14" alloys, 15" alloys. some free, some i would want money for (very little).

I may have other free stuff you would want, we'll find out when you get here

PM me for contact info if interested.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

NOW THATS A DEAL NOT TO PASS ON!!!!!!

boostaholic

Wow Vigo! My Texas brotheren really never stop coming to the rescue.

I really appreciate that! Man, I am speechless and you will learn that is hard to do to me. I have had a real hard year and my wife and I are struggling in ways that we never wanted to, so this really means alot.

As afar as wheels go, I would prefer light and free. I realize those two preferences might not intersect.

I will take whatever you are graciously offering.

Now getting it is another deal. I have friends in San Antonio, so I will see if I can get them to grab the parts and store them until I can pick them up.

Again, thank you so much.

I am in the Hotel business and I work for Hilton, but I have contacts with most of the major players, so let me know if I can ever help you out.

Thanks bud!

turbo addict

sweet you started a progress log
    i cant wait to see this thing

Now getting it is another deal. I have friends in San Antonio, so I will see if I can get them to grab the parts and store them until I can pick them up.
    Well we'll have to coordinate so i get them off before you pick them up

I guess ill try and remember to take some pics of the wheels i have and send them to you.
    Last edited by Vigo; 11-15-2009 at 06:21 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

All this time since you started dredging up most of my old Rampage RT posts I just figured you were really short Cool thing about pulling up old stuff is there are newer members here that got some inspiration from some of that stuff that was done years ago. Ithink you found 90% of my old builds-I'll vouch for you using the search feature

I know there are a few guys here that get away with the carb motor but after trying a Weber swap, free flowing exhaust, a MP Intake manifold, custom airbox etc etc, we pretty much gave up on that anemic POS. Maybe his was too warn out or whatever but it was pathetic and got LOUSY mileage (before AND after the Weber swap) My reccomendation would be to NOT waste your energy on it. That black Lebaron GTC that DIDN'T sell for like $300. here would be the perfect donor for a conversion. All the parts/knowhow/tips/ideas can be found here (in the knowledge center) and donor P,P,J,H etc bodies though not as plentiful as they used to be, are still around with a little patience and searching. $100. Craigslist Shadows do exist. Just tell the whiners that gripe about them getting used for a parts donor that it was rusted out. That makes them whine less Set the 'Rage up for the long run, drivetrain swap FTW!

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post

Well we'll have to coordinate so i get them off before you pick them up

I guess ill try and remember to take some pics of the wheels i have and send them to you.
    I suppose that first part was you quoting me? I just found out my brother from another mother is coming to San Antonio from Houston at Thanksgiving. He will pick up some of the stuff. He has a new GMC Acadia and it can probably hold 2/3 milk crates of parts. The caveat is that they have to be very clean, the crates that is, so I am cleaning up some crates, so it will not sirty up the interior of his ride. Now if I can convince him to take his 4 door 4x4 Chevy, then we are golden, but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post

All this time since you started dredging up most of my old Rampage RT posts I just figured you were really short Cool thing about pulling up old stuff is there are newer members here that got some inspiration from some of that stuff that was done years ago. Ithink you found 90% of my old builds-I'll vouch for you using the search feature

I know there are a few guys here that get away with the carb motor but after trying a Weber swap, free flowing exhaust, a MP Intake manifold, custom airbox etc etc, we pretty much gave up on that anemic POS. Maybe his was too warn out or whatever but it was pathetic and got LOUSY mileage (before AND after the Weber swap) My reccomendation would be to NOT waste your energy on it. That black Lebaron GTC that DIDN'T sell for like $300. here would be the perfect donor for a conversion. All the parts/knowhow/tips/ideas can be found here (in the knowledge center) and donor P,P,J,H etc bodies though not as plentiful as they used to be, are still around with a little patience and searching. $100. Craigslist Shadows do exist. Just tell the whiners that gripe about them getting used for a parts donor that it was rusted out. That makes them whine less Set the 'Rage up for the long run, drivetrain swap FTW!
    Thanks bud! I get the height question all of the time!

Like I have said, I am old hat at these bulletin boards, and I HATE newbs that do not utilize the functions that are available. I make more friends by searching and dredging!

I hear ya about adding time and effort to a POS motor. That why I am only going to upgrade the little stuff.

I have always wanted to SCCA and I have an in with a coworker whose husband races, but I am not sure if this is the best platform.

I had a 1992 B4C 1LE FE2 TX DPS Camaro that was a sick ride for cornering.

Now, I really think I am going to just upgrade the intake/Carb and exhaust to make a REALIABLE good mpg ride that we can have a good time with.

The other two MAIN parties that are involved in this build are taling about paint, wheels and a nice interior with a nice stereo system.

WHO knows at this point.

With ALL of that said, we had a setback yesterday. I called the guy who owns the vehicle, so we could pay off the last amount and pick up the vehicle and he won't return the calls or answer his door.

John, thanks for the support brother!!!!! BTW, John is the reason I am here. He pointed me to this great site!

I suppose that first part was you quoting me?
    Yes for some reason i didnt quote it or it didnt work.. i went back and fixed it.

Actually, i may be going to a car show instead of working next weekend, so in that case i may not have the parts off by thanksgiving.. i will let you know.

If that guy trys to scam you make sure you post his name and address up so we can smear him on the internet

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast