Thread: carb electric fuel pump p/n

Hybrid booster

where can I find a fuel pump for carb GLH?

Hey guys,

Well...come to find out, (not to my surprise), the electric fuel pump in my GLH is no more. Apparently 15 years of sitting alters its lifespan.

So...what I'm wondering is, what fuel pump do I get as a replacement?

The car is a carburated GLH, so, it has an electric fuel pump...however, as I said, its carb, so...I would imagine a lower pressure pump?

Or, is it the same as the later TB pumps? Or, the turbo pump, with just a hefty regulator?

I'm kinda at a loss here. All the parts stores say it has a mechanical fuel pump if its carb'd, or, it has an electronic if its turbo...they have no distinction between GLH and a regular Omni/Horizon.

Theres no in between...then again, its an 85, which I believe is before the TB cars.

But...anyone know?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by strang3majik; 11-12-2009 at 12:05 AM.

Hybrid booster

Re: carb electric fuel pump p/n

bump...

Hybrid booster

Well if you aren't sure if it's equipped with an electric fuel pump or not, check on the block. Down below the alternator is where the mechanical fuel pump would be located. I would be doubtful that the carb motors came with an electric fuel pump and if it did, it would be an awfully small one. Turbo pumps output far far too much pressure and I don't see them using a regulator when they can easily huck in a mechanical pump.

After that long of sitting, check also the carb and fuel lines, chances are they're gummed up and the air bleeds and jets in the carb probably have particulate matter in them as well. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and place it in a bucket and crank the engine over, see if any fuel comes out. The in tank fuel sock could also be full of crud, or as you surmise, the fuel pump could be shot due to a rotten diaphragm in the pump.

Check it out and let us know!

Cheers, TheCanadian

Re: where can I find a fuel pump for carb GLH?

Quote Originally Posted by strang3majik View Post
    Hey guys,

Well...come to find out, (not to my surprise), the electric fuel pump in my GLH is no more. Apparently 15 years of sitting alters its lifespan.

So...what I'm wondering is, what fuel pump do I get as a replacement?

The car is a carburated GLH, so, it has an electric fuel pump...however, as I said, its carb, so...I would imagine a lower pressure pump?

Or, is it the same as the later TB pumps? Or, the turbo pump, with just a hefty regulator?

I'm kinda at a loss here. All the parts stores say it has a mechanical fuel pump if its carb'd, or, it has an electronic if its turbo...they have no distinction between GLH and a regular Omni/Horizon.

Theres no in between...then again, its an 85, which I believe is before the TB cars.

But...anyone know?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    FWIW, my 87 Horizon had a carb and a TSB done where they put an electric pump in and a block off plate on the block. Well it was short cutted and they installed the electric pump and looped the hoses on the mechanical pump. With that being said I *think* I replaced it with a 3.0 TBI pump when it died, but I may have had an external Holley FPR on it also.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadian007 View Post
    Well if you aren't sure if it's equipped with an electric fuel pump or not, check on the block. Down below the alternator is where the mechanical fuel pump would be located. I would be doubtful that the carb motors came with an electric fuel pump and if it did, it would be an awfully small one. Turbo pumps output far far too much pressure and I don't see them using a regulator when they can easily huck in a mechanical pump.

After that long of sitting, check also the carb and fuel lines, chances are they're gummed up and the air bleeds and jets in the carb probably have particulate matter in them as well. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and place it in a bucket and crank the engine over, see if any fuel comes out. The in tank fuel sock could also be full of crud, or as you surmise, the fuel pump could be shot due to a rotten diaphragm in the pump.

Check it out and let us know!

Cheers, TheCanadian

I know for sure its an electric pump, theres a bunch of plugs going right where the fuel lines go into the tank, and, the fuel lines run up to the front of the car, and just curve over to the carb, and don't go anywhere near the front of the engine. Also, there is no block off plate on the block, just a boss that was never punched out. I checked the fuse, and, its there, and its good, so, thats not it.
    The GLHs came with an electric fuel pump and carb, factory...why, I'm not sure...but, they do.

Also, as far as the carb...I dumped gas down in, and it started right up, no problem. Car sat and idled smooth as could be as long as you dumped fuel in, and when you rev it, smooth, crisp revs. I'm amazed to say the least...

But...the fuel tank was bone dry, so...threw 3 gallons in it, and, its not moving. Once you quit pouring gas down the carb, it shuts off...no leaks anywhere either.

So...its got to be the pump.

But...my thing is, though...I don't know if I can just get a TB pump and throw it on there and expect it to work fine. I know the TB cars are still running quite a bit more pressure than a carb, so...I'm not sure.

From what you're saying, Captain...I can...but, I'm not sure.

Also, I'll try taking the line off the carb and running it into a bucket...but, as I said, I'm sure fuel isn't flowing.

but....good thing I can get to the pump without dropping the tank

Dodge used good engineering there

Hybrid booster

bump...

Hybrid booster

I had a '85 HO Turismo that had vapor lock problems. If I recall correctly, there was a TSB that involved installing an electric fuel pump to cure those problems. Wish I could be more help, but it's been 20 years since I had that car. I should think that any aftermarket fuel pump that is designed for carbureted vehicles would be a suitable replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    FWIW, my 87 Horizon had a carb and a TSB done where they put an electric pump in and a block off plate on the block. Well it was short cutted and they installed the electric pump and looped the hoses on the mechanical pump. With that being said I *think* I replaced it with a 3.0 TBI pump when it died, but I may have had an external Holley FPR on it also.
    Quote Originally Posted by neongary View Post
    I had a '85 HO Turismo that had vapor lock problems. If I recall correctly, there was a TSB that involved installing an electric fuel pump to cure those problems. Wish I could be more help, but it's been 20 years since I had that car. I should think that any aftermarket fuel pump that is designed for carbureted vehicles would be a suitable replacement.
    I read the tech bulletin once and seem to remember it saying that there was a condition when going around sweeping corners. Like an exit ramp. Fuel starvation. Maybe the vapor lock was a condition of it.

turbo addict

Just use a Holley Electric red fuel pump. Od Matchbox ran fine (84 carb HO) until the TSB came out. They blocked off the spot on the motor where the pump used to be, then put an electric in the tank with a Holley FPR on the chassis near the pump. The fuel filter under the hood was also replaced with a fatter version. THIS is when the car would quit running at 65 mph due to not enough fuel in the carb. On the regulator where a hex head is normally found it had a "tamper proof" pointed version....we simply loosened up the locking nut and you could still raise the FP by simply turning the pointed threaded part with your fingers then retighten the lock nut. Doing this allowed the car to run fine until 75 mph....that's when we totally removed the regulator and replaced it with a short piece of metal fuel line. Now the car would run to near 80...I took off the larger fuel filter and found you could barely blow through it. We dug into the trash and got the original filter and stuck it back on. Now we had no troubles until a few months later the new pump from the TSB died. I stuck on the Holley red along with a fuel pressure regulator set at 5 psi and used that set up from late 1984 until a couple of weeks ago. The pump started leaking (a sign that they are internally worn out) and replaced it with another new one. That old Holley red was on there for over 260,000 miles!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    Just use a Holley Electric red fuel pump. Od Matchbox ran fine (84 carb HO) until the TSB came out. They blocked off the spot on the motor where the pump used to be, then put an electric in the tank with a Holley FPR on the chassis near the pump. The fuel filter under the hood was also replaced with a fatter version. THIS is when the car would quit running at 65 mph due to not enough fuel in the carb. On the regulator where a hex head is normally found it had a "tamper proof" pointed version....we simply loosened up the locking nut and you could still raise the FP by simply turning the pointed threaded part with your fingers then retighten the lock nut. Doing this allowed the car to run fine until 75 mph....that's when we totally removed the regulator and replaced it with a short piece of metal fuel line. Now the car would run to near 80...I took off the larger fuel filter and found you could barely blow through it. We dug into the trash and got the original filter and stuck it back on. Now we had no troubles until a few months later the new pump from the TSB died. I stuck on the Holley red along with a fuel pressure regulator set at 5 psi and used that set up from late 1984 until a couple of weeks ago. The pump started leaking (a sign that they are internally worn out) and replaced it with another new one. That old Holley red was on there for over 260,000 miles!
    does that one just fit in the tank in the stock location? Where may I find said unit?
    That sounds like it just may work

Hybrid booster

The Holley "red" is an external pump. Seems like 2 choices here. Use a external pump designed for carb cars or try to use a turbo pump and a regulator to dial down the pressure for a carb. Either way, probably some fabrication/mod involved. Seems like a external pump would be easier to deal with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hly-12-801-1.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	18662  

turbo addict

When I put the Holley Red (just like the pic in the post before this one) on Matchbox we simply put it in line using existing hoses and used the electric wireing from the stock pump....VERY easy. We did remove stock electric since it was dead anyow. We put the regulator under the hood for easy access and I do have an external fuel pressure gauge mounted on the hood to keep eyes on things....all the metal stock fuel lines were removed away from the head instead of laying on the valve cover....that helps things too.

Hybrid booster

what pressures do the TB cars run at? Not the turbo...but, the n/a TB...

Theres one at the junkyard, and, if the pump doesn't work, they allow you to return it...so, If it doesn't work, then I'll have to go another route...but...if it could be possible.

Hybrid booster

I think TBI was somewhere like 14 or 15 psi static fuel pressure at idle, can anyone confirm that?