Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Allwheel Drive Omni GLH SRT4

Re: Allwheel Drive Omni GLH SRT4

All I gotta say is........ WOW! Awesome job man, more pics though! More pics!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Thanks for the extra details Carlos. I haven't checked out the thread that you posted a long time ago on boostedmopar.com

Quote Originally Posted by mike radowski View Post
    Thanks for documenting everything. This is an awesome project. I wish I could have my old rampage back so I could give it the AWD treatment.
    Nice to see you over here Mike!
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Garrett booster

yeah, for those who didnt get to see it in person, I got to see it on the lift at work, and man it is a beautiful thing, and there is nothing funnier than seeing a mexican in an ugly gold omni that sounds like a peterbuilt semi turbo..... and Carlos we need to get it back out one of these weekends so we can have a good laugh, Ill bring the video camera since my GLHS is done for the year!

Garrett booster

I did them on the street(my girlfriend lives out in the sticks). I was trying to dial the boost in and check out the clutch for the Turbopalooza event. Track time is limited. But stay tuned, I'll get the vid's out once the clutch is in.
    Did any of the 6K launches net you a good 60'
    It never happened. Did something very stupid at the track. Got to the track with only 45 mins. left to race. In my frantic hurriedness, while installing the driveshaft, I left the u-joint cap retainers finger tight. Well the caps fell out as I was driving it to tech and that was the end of that. Which, BTW, summed up the kind of day I was having
    Where's the track video?
    It's beautiful ugliness! Just like my first girlfriend, it's only ugly on the outside.
    and man it is a beautiful thing
    Si senior
    Carlos we need to get it back out one of these weekends so we can have a good laugh

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Repeating what has been said - it takes extra work to take the pics and document and we do appreciate it. Congrats on a job well done.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Glad to see the hard work and research paying off, that and not accepting the naysayers conclusion of impossibility!

You have a cutting torch and a welder?

You can do ANYTHING!!

Mike

PS Made some head-way on the garage yesterday, almost have a place to work on stuff now...
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Good job.

I was a naysayer myself but you have gone beyond what most would be willing to do including the full custom rear end and the gas tank move.

How much of a safety risk is having the gas tank there without any guard? I know lots of cars have a gas tank behind the axle but I have to assume that there was some thought in how the rear would crumple with the gas tank in that position.

When does the work on an Independent Rear version start?

-Rich

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i cant wait to start diving into my AWD conversion!

Nice job dude. Im going to stick with the caravan rear beam and narrow it.

Brian

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Nice job dude. Im going to stick with the caravan rear beam and narrow it.
    Dont do that, its too simple and sensical!

I am beginning my earnest attempts at AWD project planning.

I still would like to know a good run-down on putting the 5spd ring gear on the 604 awd differential carrier. Is it already somewhere else?

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Garffus View Post
    Crazy indeed, but when the GODS of FWDmopar say 'it can't be done' and 'its crap, can't handle any power' the masses follow and never take the initiative.. very sad, but great it finally happened.
    I agree. i remember someone getting crucified by the naysayers when They brought this up. Becuase of this I couldnt believe someone actually did it. Congrats!

Also, I see that You have an Indy intake, I know exactly why you couldnt use it

Garrett booster

I gave up trying to find my original notes & pics. I was moving during the project & stuff got lost during it all. I'll do my best to describe what to do. To start with, you'll need the driver side 5spd bearing retainer bored out to accept the AWD bearing race. You'll have to use the 5spd ring gear on the AWD diff case. You will have to mount the ring gear on the opposite side of the flange that it normally mounts to on the diff case. Also, the ring gear has to be flipped around when mounting it. This allows you to mount the final drive into the 5spd housing. Now, the ring to pinion backlash will be off by a few thousandths from factory specs which is actually a good thing for what we're trying to accomplish. To correct this, you'll have to machine the ring gear mounting surface to the difference that it is off of from the factory specs. This machining will also allow you to center the ring gear onto the flange as it machines a groove to use for the centering onto the flange. The bearing preload will be set by shimming the PTU bearing retainer used on the extension housing side of the trans. The PTU retainer bolt holes will not align with the 5spd holes. If you look at the trans extension housing directly, & look at the hole at the upper left and use it as a guide to tap the remaining holes, then this will set the PTU to the same angle to the engine as it was on the v6. Now you're set and you have 5spd with AWD.
    Or...you can use the mighty 604 and be done with it.
    I still would like to know a good run-down on putting the 5spd ring gear on the 604 awd differential carrier. Is it already somewhere else?
    I would be a good idea to shield the tank. Especially with some tracks strictly enforcing NHRA type of rules. I'd also like to add that a lot of things will be corrected/improved as time goes on. As you can see from the pics, I left a lot of things in their "raw" state. That is, I didn't paint/powder any of the suspension parts. Heck, I still have all the weld spatter on everything. And, it's not that I don't pay attention to detail, it's just that I didn't know exactly how this was going to turn out so I did things the "quick" way for now.
    How much of a safety risk is having the gas tank there without any guard?
    For the initial prototype, the Dedion was the best option. Very easy to work with, handles similar to an IRS, and it works great for drag racing. I see now why Shelby used it.
    When does the work on an Independent Rear version start?
    Last edited by lotsaboost; 11-12-2009 at 11:12 PM.

turbo addict

I know it's already been said that it is a VERY close fit(grinding needed) to fit the AWD transfer case to a 2.2/2.5 set-up, but I wonder if sourcing a Mexican A604 with the 2.2/2.5 belhousing, building it up and then sticking the AWD stuff in it would be an option!? That could be a SICK combo!

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lotsaboost View Post
    For the initial prototype, the Dedion was the best option. Very easy to work with, handles similar to an IRS, and it works great for drag racing. I see now why Shelby used it.
    Very interesting...

I am sort of real wheel drive challenged having spent most of my time around FWD cars.

It is interesting to look into the De Dion setups that exist. It looks like you skipped the telescoping axle option for instance.

What are the rear hubs/brakes from? They obviously are smaller rear disks but they also need to accept a drive axle...

Thanks,

Rich

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Here's the Chrysler patent for the (I think) AWD Daytona rear suspension. It looks to me like this setup would fit nicely in place of the current beam axle...

Daytona AWD Rear (De-Dion)

There's also a patent for an IRS...

IRS Patent
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

I need to go through all of my old MOPAR magazines from the 80's and early 90's, there was an article about Shelby's shop and a quick pic and maybe a paragraph about a 1st gen Daytona that was being tested with an AWD setup.

turbo addict

Wow...that IRS looks like a cluster f*ck! I mean, yeah, it works, but there are links and bars and crap EVERYWHERE! I'm GLAD they didn't do that....holy crap!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nice stuff
    Rob where do you find the patents?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

google.com/patents

I put links to a bunch of the cool patents in the KC
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post

I've seen Erik's subieneon, He use to rallycross it a few years ago. Worked well!

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast