Thread: Fuel Injector Sub-harness (Super 60 related questions)

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Skibbe's Avatar

Fuel Injector Sub-harness (Super 60 related questions)

So, I was working on re-looming my injector harness to clean it up a bit, and it occured to me that I might not have the right harness. I don't seem to have any wires connected to my knock sensor!

I'm running a Super 60 main harness. The charge air temp wiring comes out of the main harness at the firewall, just behind the intake manifold. Then, coming off the passenger strut tower, there are two plugs. The main plug for the injector harness, and another small oval plug with a single wire going into it, though the plug has the capacity for two wires.

The single wire going into the plug is black with a red tracer. When I bust out the '88 L body wiring diagram, the black with red tracer is intake air temp. But, I thought that the plug coming out from the firewall was intake air temp, so I peel back the tape and sure enough, that plug has two wires, one of which is black with red as expected for the charge air temp. So I'm pretty sure that is correct.

So, now the plug with the single wire that plugs into my unknown origin fuel injector harness, I would expect that single wire to be for the knock sensor. But, the color is wrong. From the '88 diagrams, I'm expecting black with blue (or was it green... either way) Does anyone else have a Super 60 harness that they can check?

So my injector sub harness has the two pin plug on it. One pin goes to a connector for a charge air sensor. This corresponds to the wire coming from my super 60 main harness. But that doesn't make sense. Who would need two charge air tem sensors??? The other wire in that plug goes to the knock sensor. But with the orientation of the plug, there is no wire coming from the Super 60 harness to connect to the knock sensor.

So, what I'm trying to verify is that I should remove the Charge air temp wiring from the injector sub harness and move the knock sensor wire to the other spot in the two pin oval plug so it's connected to the single black with red tracer wire coming from my super 60 sub harness.

Does that make sense? I don't know what all was added to the Super 60 harness from the '88 L body harness, so I don't know if the knock sensor wire was an addition and simple added with whatever color they wanted to use... and if they somehow put it in the wrong pin in the connector... I didn't get any documentation with my Super 60 harness, so if anyone has the info sheet they could post, maybe that would answer some questions too...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Fuel Injector Sub-harness (Super 60 related questions)

That plug is for the knock sensor.

FYI... mine was wired the same as yours, and I had to switch pins on the main harness for the puter to pick up the knock sensor.

I have always wondered if this was a mistake or if the engineers did this deliberately so that the puter would not pick up knock.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Thanks Mike!

Doh!

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post

FYI... mine was wired the same as yours, and I had to switch pins on the main harness for the puter to pick up the knock sensor.

I have always wondered if this was a mistake or if the engineers did this deliberately so that the puter would not pick up knock.
    Makes sense - the S60 computer ignores knock anyway...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Makes sense - the S60 computer ignores knock anyway...
    I'm just using the harness to be able to run a SMEC. Not actually using a S60 cal, so my computer's looking for it but never finding it.

Not that I haven't been running conservatively, but glad I caught it before turning up the boost too much.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post

Mike that is absolutely correct. Every S-60 harness I have seen has had the pin in the wrong terminal of that oval! I'm thinking mistake myself. Sort of dangerous not having spark retard when running 18 PSI. Especially with today crappy pump fuel. Who uses that MP s-60 computer anyway?
    Skibbe, there is supposed to be a small green wire about a foot long that you appear to be missing. It might have a black tracer wire on it? Any 88 turbo car should have one. I think the 89's were in the injector harness?
    I have two S-60 L-body harnesses. One completely rebuilt and one NOS one still in it's original bag. NOS sub harnesses too! Many years ago I gave my left nut for that NOS one.
    Todd

Small green wire from where to where?

Unfortunantly my S60 harness didn't come with any sub harnesses. I had to patch in the round '88 style plug (by the battery) to an '89 alternator harness... Any chance you could post photos of the NOS harnesses, or scan the documentation from them?

Thnaks!

turbo addict

Skibbe,
    The S-60 harness did not come with any sub harnesses, you were on your own. They were based on the 88 wiring harness. The small green wire goes from the detonation sensor to the oval shaped one pin plug. Remember to put the pin in the correct terminal location as Mike told you about.
    I'll try to get the instruction sheet scaned.
    Todd

turbo addict

Skibbe,
    Here are some photos and PDF's as you requested. This stuff should help you.
    BTW the detonation sensor shown in pic is black w/green tracer. The detonation wire is part of the injector harness. In the pic you will see a lone detonation wire outside of the NOS package. The pic of the S-60 harness is my rebuilt one. It is identical to the original except it now has a 4 wire o2.
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	todd injector harness.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	18647   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	todd S-60 harness.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	18648  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you so much Todd. Back a couple years ago when I was fighting through my original installation I would have killed for those sheets but no one took the time to scan them. You rule.

I should maybe assemble some of this information for a KC article.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

+1 awesome info! great KC article info

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.