Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby T-tops

Re: 1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby T-tops

I've got a feeling that all of your hard work is suddenly going to make the unrestored T-Top cars very desirable

So let me be the first to thank you, for your positive effect on the market
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    I've got a feeling that all of your hard work is suddenly going to make the unrestored T-Top cars very desirable

So let me be the first to thank you, for your positive effect on the market
    Haha, Lets hope these cars become more desirable in years to come... i think it's already starting,

Wetsanded and polished.

turbo addict

That color combo is just amazing
    nice work this thing is going to be awesome!

Garrett booster

Drool. That is all.

Just another update.... I painted some of the T-top trim. I started by sanding them with 220grit and puttying where they needed to be, i then put them in flexible high build primer. I wetsanded them with 600grit and then painted them with the base/clear (semi gloss)

This one pic was taken shortly after putting the clear on, so it looks flat and shiny in spots... it has dried perfectly even tho with a nice semi gloss just like factory, This clear is really cool!

Garrett booster

Must have been a pain to get that all off without breaking it!

Quote Originally Posted by rampant150 View Post
    Must have been a pain to get that all off without breaking it!
    haha yeah it's not the easiest to do, because the stupid window seals are glued into the channels and the rivets to take the trim off is behind the damn seals! These parts look to be made of a brittle fibreglass resin, so they are pretty delicate.. i never broke or wrecked any of the trim luckily! the trim on the door tho is make from ABS plastic and mine were so sun dried that they broke and most of the tabs that hold them on were broken anyways, so i found some OEM ones, which i hope to get soon, .

I checked out your Silver T-top Shelby on here and it's lookin' great! if you ever decide to sell that car, please let me know. We'll have to take some pics of our cars togather next summer, I've never seen another 89 T-top Shelby around here besides mine so far... i think they have all been wrecked or sent off to the crusher.

Here are a couple pics of the SHELBY decal locations on the door... (from the drivers door) I will measure the passenger side when i get to them, but it's probably 3" from the top of the "Y" but i will make sure anyways. I took these for reference and for anybody else that wants to know exactly where they go on the 1989 cars. I will take more pics of the other decal locations as i get to them (the intercooled turbo ones on the hood as well as the Daytona Shelby and Chysler ones on the back)

-From the front edge of the door to the bottom edge of "S" is 3"

-from the bottom edge of the door to the bottom of the Shelby decal is 1-1/4"

and here is a pic i took with 3/4" masking tape to give you another reference... as you can see the decal wasn't even put on perfectly straight from the factory.

Update for Passenger side door... as you can tell the passenger side door decal is in a slightly different spot compared to the drivers side (lower to the body line and closer to the front door edge) I'm obviously not going to replicate this, haha. Here's the pics anyways..

Another update on the decal locations... this is with just regular 3/4" masking tape.

Last edited by Turbo_Rampage; 02-04-2010 at 02:01 AM.

Looking good. Cant wait to see the finished product. Bet it will be GORGEOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    Looking good. Cant wait to see the finished product. Bet it will be GORGEOUS!
    Thanks for the compliments! They help keep me motivated since i hate bodywork so much!

I got the doors off the car tonight, so i can block them out nicely and paint in the door jambs properly when it comes time to. These doors have no rust, but are FULL of door dents and are dented around the door handle openings (typical Daytona) so they are gonna take alot of work to get back straight. sanding, puttying, blocking and lots of priming are in my future! but it's really the only major bodywork on this car to do... the rest of the body is very straight!

When it comes time to paint the entire car i've got a paint booth i can use and my Dad will be painting it.. i will have the fun job of wetsanding and polishing after. I only paint the small parts like all the stuff already done on here... like the bumpers, ground effects, wing, t-top trim etc. Just in case people are wondering about colour variance from painting all these little parts seperatly... there will be no variance! as long as you use paint from the same can and use the same air pressure and paint technique there will never be a difference in colour.. metallic colours are a little more tricky, but like i said there will be no variance, .

Here is the car as of right now... it looks like it belongs on an episode of trailer park boys,
    Last edited by Turbo_Rampage; 12-07-2009 at 02:46 AM.

Hell and while you are at it, you can rehang the doors to get rid of the g-body door sag disease.
    I hate that.
    Q

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    Hell and while you are at it, you can rehang the doors to get rid of the g-body door sag disease.
    I hate that.
    Q
    Actually the doors on this car weren't sagged at all believe it or not... Even the door pins were tight, but I bought replacements anyways, since I have the doors off. I can see why they sag over the years tho... These doors are friggen heavy!

I finally got my decal kit in for this car, from Positive Impressions (the original 89 kit with a Shelby window banner) ... stupid Customs held it for a long time! The decal kit looks great and looks to be exactly like the original, ...i've just got one question regarding these decals and for other Shelby Daytona owners. Is the charcoal strobe decals supposed to match the colour of the lower charcoal ground effects? because the Charcoal i painted already (the original colour) is MUCH lighter then the charcoal on the decals and i cant really use my car as an example, because all the decals and paint were faded, but they did seem to be the same colour even tho they were faded...
    Last edited by Turbo_Rampage; 12-09-2009 at 11:40 PM.

turbo addict

why not use the decal kit as a way to paint on the strobe. paint the lower area your charcoal color, apply the decal, reshoot the car in blue peel away decal and clear coat the whole shebang?

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    why not use the decal kit as a way to paint on the strobe. paint the lower area your charcoal color, apply the decal, reshoot the car in blue peel away decal and clear coat the whole shebang?

That sounds like a good idea! it's just i would be kinda worried about the decal leaving adhesive on the basecoat or it sticking so good that it will lift the base off when i go to remove them... i've seen this done before, but the decals they use don't seem to be "automotive grade" there almost like white stencils specifically made for this.

turbo addict

I think eastwood sells the stencil material.

found it

http://www.eastwood.com/sticky-micke...king-tape.html

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    I think eastwood sells the stencil material.

found it

http://www.eastwood.com/sticky-micke...king-tape.html
    Thanks for that link! I've decided i'm just gonna live with what i got... i applied the decals to the rear bumper today and there is a noticable difference in colour between the charcoal i painted (the original colour) and the charcoal on the decals. Other then the colour being off, the decals went on perfect and straight... it took a LONG time to put this decal on the bumper. It was pretty difficult getting it to curve around the bumper

sorry for the blurry pic...
    Last edited by Turbo_Rampage; 12-12-2009 at 09:09 PM.

turbo addict

wow that looks pretty damn sweet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmesich View Post
    wow that looks pretty damn sweet!!
    Thanks for the compliment! yeah these strobes definitely put the "80's look" back into my car, .

turbo addict

yeah i like the look without but it just fits the car so much better to have the strobes
    i really like it

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast