Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby T-tops

Hybrid booster

Re: 1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby T-tops

I just so happen to be doing a little bit of research today and it seems they only made 42 Daytona Shelbys in 1989 without A/C. Blue & 5 spd; this is the second one I've heard of. scrpnwatermelon has the other, but they have different roof options.
    I've seen one '89 in person that was a no A/C car, that was a silver Canadian TII that was otherwise loaded (near Niagra).

Nice job on the car btw.

Ron

turbo addict

are you sure that is including the canadian Chrysler Daytona?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmesich View Post
    are you sure that is including the canadian Chrysler Daytona?
    It lists (SPEDO 125 MPH-3776) out of 4741 cars.
    So the list should include all exports.

Ron

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRon25 View Post
    I just so happen to be doing a little bit of research today and it seems they only made 42 Daytona Shelbys in 1989 without A/C. Blue & 5 spd; this is the second one I've heard of. scrpnwatermelon has the other, but they have different roof options.
    I've seen one '89 in person that was a no A/C car, that was a silver Canadian TII that was otherwise loaded (near Niagra).

Nice job on the car btw.

Ron

Wow thanks for that info! I didn't realize they made so few without A/C.. The only options my Shelby has are the enthusiast seats, rear wiper with defrost and the T-tops. mine doesn't have cruise control either.. I believe it had the AM/FM cassette infinity 1 stereo in it, but i don't know if that was standard in the Shelby model?
    Last edited by Turbo_Rampage; 11-12-2009 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboRon25 View Post
    It lists (SPEDO 125 MPH-3776) out of 4741 cars.
    So the list should include all exports.

Ron

So only 965 were the Chrysler models? A.K.A Canadian cars.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage View Post
    So only 965 were the Chrysler models? A.K.A Canadian cars.
    Chrysler, probably. Only Canadian, probably not. Euro cars would also get a Km/h speedo. Lets call them "export" cars.
    To add to the confusion, England lists speeds in MPH. Though I don't know if they would sell a LHD car there.

Ron

I went and bought the paint today. The Clear alone was was a little over $500. I got 3 quarts of Daytona blue (makes a gallon and a half spray-able once reduced, so i got plenty of paint) and a quart of the Charcoal for the ground effects and upper spoiler. This is all Dupont Chroma-Premier which is there top of the line paint. All together for just the paint was $1100 which is more then i payed for the car, This is with a good discount too

For materials alone it will be well over $2000... nobody ever said painting a car is cheap! I also bought Dupont high build primer and sealer.

Well i painted the wing and door handles this weekend... it seems these little parts are always the hardest to do! haha. I had to use the drivers side wing extension from one of my parts cars because the original one off the Shelby wasn't in the greatest of shape. I put the top part of the main wing in high build primer and spot primered the side wing extensions where they needed to be. I then painted the bottom part of the main wing one night (the blue) and flipped it over and painted the top part (charcoal) with the rest of the parts the next day. Painting the main part of the wing is extremely hard to do all in one shot! I wetsanded and polished the top of the wing tonight. The side extensions do not need to be polished because they came out like glass (this clear is beautiful)

Wow that is AWESOMELY shiny.
    Very nice. Cant wait to see the finished product forsure

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    Wow that is AWESOMELY shiny.
    Very nice. Cant wait to see the finished product forsure
    Thanks for the compliment. Yeah i cant wait for this car to be all painted and to have all the original decals put back on,

oh i also tinted the glass. it's limo tint for the back three (2.5%) and dark smoke (35%) for the front side glass.

Garrett booster

That's going to be a sweet car when it's finished man, nice job! Glad that you saved it and didn't part it.

I feel your pain on those studs holding the rear bumper in place, pretty much all of mine broked off too when I tore my Daytona down. What I did was ground the spot weld down holding the stud in the bracket, knock the stud out of the bracket, then I went to the hardware store and got some M6 bolts and tack welded the head of them in place to the bracket, works great.

Keep up the good work man!

Jon

Hybrid booster

lookin' good man

Quote Originally Posted by Evilancer View Post
    That's going to be a sweet car when it's finished man, nice job! Glad that you saved it and didn't part it.

I feel your pain on those studs holding the rear bumper in place, pretty much all of mine broked off too when I tore my Daytona down. What I did was ground the spot weld down holding the stud in the bracket, knock the stud out of the bracket, then I went to the hardware store and got some M6 bolts and tack welded the head of them in place to the bracket, works great.

Keep up the good work man!

Jon
    Hey, thanks for the ideas! yeah i was thinking something similar to that as well.. those bumper studs are a PITA. These Daytona Shelby's are getting very hard to find nowadays especially here in Canada, since we didn't get as many up here.. most people have parted them out or sent them off to the wreckers over little things, which is sad...

I checked out your Daytona and it looks awesome, Awesome work! My friend actually has the twin to your car, same colour and same interior.. his car is a "code 7" Canada show car and has two tags under the hood.. one is the options and the other is the code 7 canada show tag.. so it's most likely a "one of none" car. It was used in 1990 to promote the new 1991 Shelby Daytona and he has most of the history for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by CSX153 View Post
    lookin' good man
    Thanks for the compliment! it's slowly getting there.. it doesnt look like much of a car at this point tho.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage View Post
    Hey, thanks for the ideas! yeah i was thinking something similar to that as well.. those bumper studs are a PITA. These Daytona Shelby's are getting very hard to find nowadays especially here in Canada, since we didn't get as many up here.. most people have parted them out or sent them off to the wreckers over little things, which is sad...

I checked out your Daytona and it looks awesome, Awesome work! My friend actually has the twin to your car, same colour and same interior.. his car is a "code 7" Canada show car and has two tags under the hood.. one is the options and the other is the code 7 canada show tag.. so it's most likely a "one of none" car. It was used in 1990 to promote the new 1991 Shelby Daytona and he has most of the history for the car.

Thanks for the compliment! it's slowly getting there.. it doesnt look like much of a car at this point tho.
    Thanks man, it's nice to see more people saving them lately. My car was origanally from British Columbia, it's only been here in Ontario since 2002, that's why the body was as nice as it was, if it was an Ontario car its whole life I doubt it would have as little rust as it did. Keep up the good work man.

Jon

Thanks man, it's nice to see more people saving them lately. My car was origanally from British Columbia, it's only been here in Ontario since 2002, that's why the body was as nice as it was, if it was an Ontario car its whole life I doubt it would have as little rust as it did. Keep up the good work man.

Jon

Oh cool. what part of B.C. did it come from? I'm originally from Kelowna.

I sanded the ground effects tonight and put them in primer.

This is the proper high build primer to use on plastic/urethane bumpers and ground effects..

Garrett booster

When I first got the car the sticker on the back of it said Ensign Chrysler in Victoria. I wonder what the origanal MSRP of it was, I'd like to get a hold of that info some how.

Have any pictures of your friends Daytona that is like mine? Be nice to see another one that looks like my car, up until 2 years ago when I found it, I didn't even know that color of interior existed!

Jon

When I first got the car the sticker on the back of it said Ensign Chrysler in Victoria. I wonder what the origanal MSRP of it was, I'd like to get a hold of that info some how.

Have any pictures of your friends Daytona that is like mine? Be nice to see another one that looks like my car, up until 2 years ago when I found it, I didn't even know that color of interior existed!

Jon
    When i visit my friend next i'll take a few pics of his car for you... i will also try and get a pic of the window sticker,

I haven't got as much done to the car as i wanted to lately, but i got the bodywork and sanding on the rear bumper finished. It was your typical Daytona urethane bumper... all wavy on top so i used plastic filler and blocked it straight. I also primed it with the plastic high build primer and wetsanded it tonight and it's ready for paint, but i'm not gonna paint in until all the lower ground effects are done being wetsanded, so i can paint all these little parts at once.

If anybody is restoring a T-top car (or any other car with semi gloss trim) this is the proper base/clear paint to use that will last. I got a pint of chroma-base black and a quart of semi gloss plastic (and can be used on metal) flexible Dupont clear coat with the hardener. I took a pic in case anybody wants the part number.

I got the rear bumper and side ground effects painted tonight. They came out great.. tomorrow i'm gonna wetsand and polish the parts. Here's a bunch of pics... my camera sucks on taking pics under fluorescent lights

WOW that is gorgeous.
    I cant wait to see the finished product. I am drooling already!

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    WOW that is gorgeous.
    I cant wait to see the finished product. I am drooling already!

Thanks for the compliment!

I just spent the last 7hrs wetsanding and polishing the ground effects and bumper... I wetsanded them with 2000grit sandpaper, then 3000grit and power polished with 3M perfect it 1 and 2. If it's nice out tomorrow i'll take a pic of the parts outside.. they came out like glass, . I need a new camera...

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast