Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby T-tops

Re: 1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby T-tops

Wow those hockey sticks look good!
    And earlier on your blind guy quote on how these cars were converted,
    I got the chance to talk with a guy who built the t-top cars and he had some pretty cool stuff to say.
    He said he had about 3 minutes per car and he cut the doors down. The hockey sticks were specifically made to cover up there (hack work).
    He took a saw-zaw and just cut right through the door and that was his job. He said some came out nice but when the blade caught the door he didnt have much time to correct its course and it would go where ever.
    Kinda funny really. Pretty cool talking to him though.
    Anyways, you wont have to see my car. I am gonna have a buddy of mine do the little bit of body work it needs and paint it for me. Wont be as nice as your car but eh I wanna drive mine with out worrying about getting a rockchip in the new paint LMAO!
    Keep up the good work!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    Wow those hockey sticks look good!
    And earlier on your blind guy quote on how these cars were converted,
    I got the chance to talk with a guy who built the t-top cars and he had some pretty cool stuff to say.
    He said he had about 3 minutes per car and he cut the doors down. The hockey sticks were specifically made to cover up there (hack work).
    He took a saw-zaw and just cut right through the door and that was his job. He said some came out nice but when the blade caught the door he didnt have much time to correct its course and it would go where ever.
    Kinda funny really. Pretty cool talking to him though.
    Anyways, you wont have to see my car. I am gonna have a buddy of mine do the little bit of body work it needs and paint it for me. Wont be as nice as your car but eh I wanna drive mine with out worrying about getting a rockchip in the new paint LMAO!
    Keep up the good work!
    Oh cool info! It kinda looks like they had 3 minutes to do it, haha. It must have been alot of work tho, riveting in all those brackets in the door. If you get a chance to talk to him again could you ask what the reason was to that bracket riveted in on the upper door hinge? was there a purpose to it or is it just there to hold a serial #?

Be sure to post up lots of pics of your car when the bodywork starts!

I got them polished, now tomorrow i'll start putting them on and adjusting the door glass, so i get no leaks or wind whistles... that's the plan anyways!

OHHHHHH pretty =-)

Finally got the car finished! . Next thing to do is make it fast!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

More nice shots, good positioning too Nice work on the entire project

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    More nice shots, good positioning too Nice work on the entire project
    Thanks for the compliments! I'm going to buy an SLR camera, because this current camera that i have doesn't take the cleanest pictures, but they still turned out pretty good ...oh i'll get you that pic you wanted in front of that horse farm now,

god that car looks incredibly sexy. I only wish mine could come out that nice. Maybe one day.

god that car looks incredibly sexy. I only wish mine could come out that nice. Maybe one day.
    Thanks! yours will be looking good in no time.. it already does!

I got bored the other night and made a slide show... it's 9 minutes long, but it's alot easier to watch this then going thru all the pages on here!

Oh the block and crank is going into the machine shop next week. (Jesse at Fast Engines is doing it) it's getting everything... hot tanked fully balanced, decked, line honed with ARP main studs, bored with a torque plate and assembled with my Wiseco pistons and Crower H-beam rods, It should be a bullet proof bottom end! Next i'll be saving up my pennies for a SM head.
    Last edited by Turbo_Rampage; 06-10-2010 at 11:45 PM.

Great video man, lots of work summed up in a couple minutes!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very very nice man. Glad the seals worked out for you. I you for taking the time and doing it right. Next order of buisness, send me a list of car shows you will be attending so I can stay away from them.....

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Great video man, lots of work summed up in a couple minutes!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by shelbymopar89 View Post
    Very very nice man. Glad the seals worked out for you. I you for taking the time and doing it right. Next order of buisness, send me a list of car shows you will be attending so I can stay away from them.....
    Thanks for the compliment! yeah your seals and felting worked out awesome... the car would have never looked as good as it does without the new seals! I had a little wind whistle at first, after installing them but now that the glass has seated into the seals there is no more wind whistle or even a water leak,

Hey you stole my cars theme song! Every rose has its thorn was the theme song to my white car that would only run 1000 miles at a time LMAO.
    I do like the vid that pretty much sums up the car build in 9 minutes (x1,000 for the hours you put in the car).

Hey you stole my cars theme song! Every rose has its thorn was the theme song to my white car that would only run 1000 miles at a time LMAO.
    I do like the vid that pretty much sums up the car build in 9 minutes (x1,000 for the hours you put in the car).

haha it was? well i just picked it because it seemed fitting for the era of the car!

The block and crank are dropped off at Fast Engines... now i'm just waiting on my torque plate, ARP main studs, head studs and H-beam rods to come... then the bottom end can get all machined and assembled. I don't plan on having this motor built this year, since it's costing alot and i need a ton more parts! My HP goals keep changing, so i went overkill on the bottom end, but it makes sence to do it once and do it right! i'd like 350-400hp.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage View Post
    haha it was? well i just picked it because it seemed fitting for the era of the car!

The block and crank are dropped off at Fast Engines... now i'm just waiting on my torque plate, ARP main studs, head studs and H-beam rods to come... then the bottom end can get all machined and assembled. I don't plan on having this motor built this year, since it's costing alot and i need a ton more parts! My HP goals keep changing, so i went overkill on the bottom end, but it makes sence to do it once and do it right! i'd like 350-400hp.
    I just got done installing the rest of my crap n my shelby.....cal, 3 bar, ext....

After boostin 20 pounds...the car is 10 times more fun to drive! You'll love the power....

What kind of intake are you going to put on it? A Custom one? D plenum?
    I love my custom one aaron made...(8valves).....gives it a little bling in the engine bay! Not to menstion, no restriction....

But all in all it looks great....hopefully, at the next sdac i'll see it!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 89ShelbyGuy View Post
    I just got done installing the rest of my crap n my shelby.....cal, 3 bar, ext....

After boostin 20 pounds...the car is 10 times more fun to drive! You'll love the power....

What kind of intake are you going to put on it? A Custom one? D plenum?
    I love my custom one aaron made...(8valves).....gives it a little bling in the engine bay! Not to menstion, no restriction....

But all in all it looks great....hopefully, at the next sdac i'll see it!

Tom

I'm still undecided on the intake, but i want a good flowing one... the one you've got sounds like what i'll need for my project! Yeah when the motor is all done (next spring) i'll feel more confident going that long distance to SDAC, so if DJ goes next year i'll drive along with him.

I got some more parts in the mail today, .

Brian Crower H-beam Rods with clevite rod bearings, Brass freeze plug set, ARP main studs, ARP head studs, torque plate (rented from FWD performance) so this is everything i need to get the bottom end finished up.

Last edited by Turbo_Rampage; 06-29-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Hybrid booster

hmm, how long you have that torque plate for??

Quote Originally Posted by ssheen View Post
    hmm, how long you have that torque plate for??
    I rented it for a month, but i'm already over two weeks in on the rental.. I don't know how long Jesse will have it for, . If you need it, maybe you could take over the core charge from cindy and do the 30 day rental? It's already shipped here, so that would save you and me some money... just a thought.

Still no real updates... just waiting on my bottom end to be finished up, so i can pay for that and save up for the next thing. I got some misc. brackets bead blasted and painted up.. just more parts to get stored in the basement, until i can get it all together!

The valve cover is done in wrinkle black and the letters sanded with 600grit. i plan on doing all my intercooler piping and custom intake in wrinkle black just to keep it sorta stock looking...
    Last edited by Turbo_Rampage; 07-14-2010 at 02:48 AM.

Hybrid booster

you've made me cry. I just want you to know that!

i'm torn inside....

On the one hand, its a pleasure to see another daytona recieve all the love and attention they so richly deserve. you do amazing work and the car is clearly going to be a monster both at the track and in front of the lens.

On the other hand you built a daytona that puts mine to shame for probably 1/5th the cost. This is the part where i cry....

I'm kidding of course....sort of..... I guess the point of this post is to once again let you know (as if you didn't already) you've done a phenominal job, I love this car! I didn't sleep last night and i'm tired, plus my car is being a b*tch again....so i'm angry at her....

Just know, if you bring it to an SDAC....i don't think i'll be able to bring mine. lol...still kidding... i think....

Quote Originally Posted by 89FerrariShelby View Post
    you've made me cry. I just want you to know that!

i'm torn inside....

On the one hand, its a pleasure to see another daytona recieve all the love and attention they so richly deserve. you do amazing work and the car is clearly going to be a monster both at the track and in front of the lens.

On the other hand you built a daytona that puts mine to shame for probably 1/5th the cost. This is the part where i cry....

I'm kidding of course....sort of..... I guess the point of this post is to once again let you know (as if you didn't already) you've done a phenominal job, I love this car! I didn't sleep last night and i'm tired, plus my car is being a b*tch again....so i'm angry at her....

Just know, if you bring it to an SDAC....i don't think i'll be able to bring mine. lol...still kidding... i think....
    haha thanks! that's one of the nicest compliments, . oh trust me, even tho i'm doing almost everything myself the receipts are adding up!! This engine build is costing a pretty penny! It kinda sucks putting all this money into a car that has zero resale value, but oh well. Next spring i should have the car running with the new running gear in hopes to put down 400WHP.. right now it's all show and no go, but hopefully that changes!