Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby T-tops

Hybrid View

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo_Rampage's Avatar

1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby T-tops

Here is my 1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby T2 T-top car that i picked up on March, 8, 2008. I came accross this car from a guy selling an '89 ES Daytona online and when i went to look at the car (this was summer of 2007) and i saw the blue Shelby parked behind the barn, so inquired about it, but the guy said it was his friends and wasn't for sale... so i kept in touch with the guy and made sure i would be the first in line when his friend decides to sell it and that day finally came! The guy delivered the car because it was in no shape to be driven... it was parked for years because of a "seized engine" so the guy said, but i ended up getting the car running and it smoked like crazy! So i pullled the head and it had a valve guide that dropped and a chunk of it got into the cylinder and wreched the head/piston on #3 cyl

I've never seen a more dirty engine compartment in my life!

Re: 1989 Chrysler Daytona Shelby T-tops

Fast forward to summer of 2009.. I decided to start on the car (finished my red Daytona so moved on to this one) since the motor was in need of a rebiuld i just decided to put the original motor aside and put in a low K motor that i had.. it was a 88T1 2.2L motor with only 80,000km's on it, so i cleaned it up and put all new gaskets/seals in it as well as tons of detailing.... here are a bunch of pics of the process. every nut bolt and washer was detailed and the entire suspension was rebuilt.. new rack, poly bushings, spicer inner and outer tie rod ends, spicer ball joints, sensa crap struts, upper strut mounts, calipers, rotors, pads, brake hoses, wheel bearings.

...somebody painted the block orange, but that was nothing some paint stripper coulnt handle, haha

Here are the original Pumpers getting painted the original Sparkle Silver in base/clear. I put Falcon P205/50/16 tires on it for this summer, but for next summer i'm going to put the original P205/55/16 tires on, because these ones dont look right in my opinion.

I tore the whole interior out of the car and pressure washed the carpet and shampoo'd the seats and cleaned all the plastics...

I took it to the track shortly after i got it back on the road.. my best run was 15.3 @ 91MPH and thats full weight (including spare) and the only upgrade was a grainger valve set to 13psi.. not too bad! i would have gotten better times if i didnt spin all thru 1st and 2nd.

Here are some more pics of the car from this summer... i pretty much just shined up the original paint as best as i could, so it looked presentable. I put over 10,000km's on the car this year and it never gave me an ounce of trouble,

Since winter has arrived here the car was taken off the road and now im starting to tackle the bodywork/paint on the car... i started taking the car apart... I removed all the T-top trim, which will get repainted satin black again... what a PITA to remove this trim! same goes for the rear 3 piece wing. I removed the glass from the door as well as the door handle and lower side skirts... next will be the rear bumper, doors and front bumper to be removed... Im going to be painting it right back to original and i already have the decal kit on order from PI

I will keep posting updates as this project goes on... It will be getting painted in Dupont chroma-premier Base/clear, which will get wetsanded and polished.

You've done a great job so far, do you plan on painting it yourself?

This project looks eerily familiar to what I'm working on LOL!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    You've done a great job so far, do you plan on painting it yourself?

This project looks eerily familiar to what I'm working on LOL!
    Thanks! yeah im doing all the bodywork and when it comes to painting it my Dad will do it... he's a bodyman/painter by trade.

haha yeah i checked out your project log on here and you got the twin to mine! i've got the Canadian "chrysler" black sheep though,

Here is my Red Daytona that's pretty much all finished-
    Last edited by Turbo_Rampage; 11-09-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Here's another update. I got the rear bumper removed tonight... 13 out of the 17 bolts snapped off in the process, so i'll have to come up with an idea on how to make/modify new brackets to hold the rear bumper on... I have no clue why Dodge put all the studs to the outside.. it would have made more sense to have the studs on the inside so they would be out from the elements,

I also removed the rear side glass.

Here's just a few random pics... i was surprised to find no rust anywhere underneath the ground effects! This car is more solid then i thought,

turbo addict

Awesome job. That car has come a long way since you've gotten it. A lot of them like yours usually end up in the JY if no one shows interest and takes them in. If your red one is any indicator this is going to be another beautiful blue t-top 89.
    That interior came out really nice too. Its amazing what some cleaning can do. I remember rescuing a dash pad from a 91-92 camaro back in the day because they were known for cracking. I got it cheap cause it looked like a solid piece of dirt but had no cracks anywhere. When I was done with it the darn thing was so nice it looked out of place in my car. Good luck with it. Looks like a solid car to begin with for sure.

turbo addict

seeing the car apart, sure brings back memories of when i painted my car

Thanks guys for all the compliments... I know the car doesn't look like much right now, but in a few months time that will change!

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Awesome job. That car has come a long way since you've gotten it. A lot of them like yours usually end up in the JY if no one shows interest and takes them in. If your red one is any indicator this is going to be another beautiful blue t-top 89.
    That interior came out really nice too. Its amazing what some cleaning can do. I remember rescuing a dash pad from a 91-92 camaro back in the day because they were known for cracking. I got it cheap cause it looked like a solid piece of dirt but had no cracks anywhere. When I was done with it the darn thing was so nice it looked out of place in my car. Good luck with it. Looks like a solid car to begin with for sure.

Yeah i'd like to think i saved this car from being sent off to the wreckers or being parted out eventually... it's hopes weren't looking to good when i first brought it home.. it had four flat tires, no brakes, blown struts/shocks, engine and paint job no good and filthy dirty! When i first got it home i jacked it up and the inner tie rod end was so worn it was just about to separate.. it had almost an inch of play .

haha yeah it's hard to believe sometimes on how clean things will come!

oh another thing i forgot to add about this car... it originally came as a non A/C car, but it had dealership installed A/C when it was bought new by it's first owner... it still has the sticker under the hood saying when it was installed. you can also see in some pictures above there is a "air conditioned by service and parts division Mopar" sticker on the drivers side back glass. as you can see i removed the A/C because i want the car to be back to original, but im leaving those stickers in place just because it's neat part of history towards the car
    Last edited by Turbo_Rampage; 11-10-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo_Rampage View Post
    oh another thing i forgot to add about this car... it originally came as a non A/C car, but it had dealership installed A/C when it was bought new by it's first owner... it still has the sticker under the hood saying when it was installed. you can also see in some pictures above there is a "air conditioned by service and parts division Mopar" sticker on the drivers side back glass. as you can see i removed the A/C because i want the car to be back to original, but im leaving those stickers in place just because it's neat part of history towards the car
    I think you should leave the a/c. It was installed by the dealer so in a way it is original.

I know in some car shows, there is a class for original cars with add-on parts that were available at the time the car was made.

A.J.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I think you should leave the a/c. It was installed by the dealer so in a way it is original.

I know in some car shows, there is a class for original cars with add-on parts that were available at the time the car was made.

A.J.

I kept all the A/C stuff that i removed... the compressor was blown anyways. It's neat that someone paid to get this installed back when the car was new, it must have cost a lot for this to get done back in the day!

I like how the tech that installed the A/C put a check mark beside "Airbag system check o.k." haha

turbo addict

awesome work

Mitsu booster

Sweet Job on your Shelby! AWESOME!

turbo addict

that really is neat
    but why would someone want a/c

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmesich View Post
    that really is neat
    but why would someone want a/c

yeah especially up here in Edmonton! it's always friggen cold here anyways and the car is T-tops, so i don't know why they wanted A/C,

Awesome car with some cool history.
    Seems like a clone of the *parts car* I have.
    Its borderline saveable but idk.
    Q

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Wow that turned out real nice! I was second guessing myself on how I felt of the 89's but yours may have changed my mind.

Is your red one an 87? That's gorgeous as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Wow that turned out real nice! I was second guessing myself on how I felt of the 89's but yours may have changed my mind.

Is your red one an 87? That's gorgeous as well!

The 89's are the best, The first year of the common block, 11" brakes, 16" pumpers, new style ground effects and last year of the T-tops and enthusiast seats as well as a few other things...

Thanks! The red one is an 89 as well. I painted the ground effects red tho, so it looks like a 1990 Shelby now.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast