Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So let me get this straight.........

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

So let me get this straight.........

ACT makes every level of performance clutch for a Dodge Colt and nothing for our cars? WTF!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Re: So let me get this straight.........

that's cause it's a Mitsubitchy with a 4g63 based setup?

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    that's cause it's a Mitsubitchy with a 4g63 based setup?
    Maybe, it said 88-94, listed the 1.5l, 1.7 ect and the extream PP with 4 puck solid hub was only good to 450tq? Even though our cars are getting old, one application covers just about all of them. Actually, with the addition of a large spline disc it could cover ALL of our applications. Maybe I should give them a call, get them to sponsor the Charger in a joint developement program
    and come out with a whole new line of clutches for our cars!

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Garrett booster

Just get one custom made from south bend clutch. They supply clutches for Realtune for the SRT4s and they hold tons of power.

Quote Originally Posted by CSXRT4 View Post
    Just get one custom made from south bend clutch. They supply clutches for Realtune for the SRT4s and they hold tons of power.
    I remember ppl having some issues with the SB clutches on the SRT-4 forums. I think I remember something about them fixing the problem (might have heard that from Aaron) but either way, the ACT clutches seem to be the most accuratly rated clutches I've used so far. The heavy duty/street disc combo we were running worked flawlessly right up to and slightly beyond it's rated torque/clamping force. It was only when we started doing 2nd gear B/O's on the 26's that it started slipping. Took it apart, everything looked mint, dropped in the 6 puck disc...no more slipping! This is also the reason I'm slightly sceptical about the purple/4 puck combo holding in the Charger. If I compare it directly to the ACT 6/4 puck with HD PP (a 600ft/lb rated clutch) the purple plate is only 23-2400lb preassure, compared to ACT's 2600/2900, and the purple plate uses a smaller diam disc. If I use the same math that is being used to determine the +10% extra holding from the larger 232mm disc, then the ACT disc will hold an extra 15-20% right there! So, realistically the purple/4 puck 232mm disc is prob around a 500WTQ combo. Don't get me wrong, sounds like a really good clutch, I just need something a little ....nicer.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

#1: Why do you think we need another oblivious and anonymous vendor? After reading the whole other thread you've been offered SEVERAL solutions for your application by a current vendor that goes WAY out of their way to cater to us! I'm not trying to be an @ss or a nut-swinger here, but it is an observation that you have been offered several solutions and they are willing to work with you to get you a combination that WILL work EXACTLY the way you want it to.

No, I don't make the power you do, nor do I race the way you do, but we have the same expectations in common. I was skeptical myself as to how things could work out the way they do and thought I was going to have to get some expensive, custom set-up to be happy, but I was wrong! I'll state it again here, the issue I had was MY fault. Guess what? They are helping me out even with that! I'll bet you that ACT wouldn't do that!

How about supporting our vendors instead of going outside is all I'm saying here.

#2 How does ACT have a larger disc? There physically isn't room for a larger disc than the TU 232mm, especially if you use a lightened or aluminum flywheel. Not only that, but the pressure plate itself is only a certain size, which is pretty much maxed out at the point where TU has taken it.

#3 You state that when you went from the presumably full-face street/strip combo to the 6-puck you haven't had any issues until now(from what I'm gathering) on a 1900# plate if I'm understanding things correctly. This is not only due to the change in friction material, but the applied pressure to each pad of the disc. What makes you SO sure that you are going to have issues with a 2600# plate with a 4-puck!? You are already starting out with more overall clampforce, then to add to it you are also increasing the load on each of the pucks due to there being less surface area to distribute that load. If I had money, I'd put some down on a bet stating that combo WILL hold your power.

It seems to me like you are affraid to try an off-the-shelf item. Honestly I think you need to try it before you knock it. You really have nothing to loose from it if you actually sit there and think about it.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be an @ss, or anything, but you really aren't even giving something a fair shot before you started doubting it and looking for different options!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I remember ppl having some issues with the SB clutches on the SRT-4 forums. I think I remember something about them fixing the problem (might have heard that from Aaron) but either way, the ACT clutches seem to be the most accuratly rated clutches I've used so far. The heavy duty/street disc combo we were running worked flawlessly right up to and slightly beyond it's rated torque/clamping force. It was only when we started doing 2nd gear B/O's on the 26's that it started slipping. Took it apart, everything looked mint, dropped in the 6 puck disc...no more slipping! This is also the reason I'm slightly sceptical about the purple/4 puck combo holding in the Charger. If I compare it directly to the ACT 6/4 puck with HD PP (a 600ft/lb rated clutch) the purple plate is only 23-2400lb preassure, compared to ACT's 2600/2900, and the purple plate uses a smaller diam disc. If I use the same math that is being used to determine the +10% extra holding from the larger 232mm disc, then the ACT disc will hold an extra 15-20% right there! So, realistically the purple/4 puck 232mm disc is prob around a 500WTQ combo. Don't get me wrong, sounds like a really good clutch, I just need something a little ....nicer.

Robert,

Our 4 puck disk DOES have a higher torque capacity then our 6 puck and we have no doubts that it will be able to support your vehicles power output. As an added insurance we also researched and offered you an upgraded Feramic pad with the same thickness as our oversize ceramic for extended service life. This will allow you to transition to the Feramic (Higher COF) without having to change out the pressure plate.

And, should you surpass the capabilities of our single diaphragm purple plate we are willing to provide you with a free upgrade to our Purple modified Dual Diaphragm pressure plate. The modified Purple DD plate will have in excess of 3300 lb pressure. And, due to our custom PP modification you will experience a much lighter pedal pressure normally associated with DD pressure plates.

I had an opportunity to stop at ACT's booth at SEMA on Wednesday. We discussed different combinations of clutch pads and pressure plates. When I mentioned the types of cars we sell to the representative kind of chuckled and said something along the lines of, those cars don't make more then 300HP. The guy was kind of young so he probably wasn't that familiar with the potential of our powerplants. I am not sure who you are talking with there, but, the person I spoke with was overly confident that they could provide a clutch based on his "300HP" potential numbers. When I checked out their website to compare their products to ours they don't have any of our cars listed. I only found a Dodge Colt, Stealth, Neon and Viper.

Later on, I coincidentally bumped into one of ACT's component supplier at the AAPEX Convention. He invited us to his office on Friday and we spent about 3 hours discussing differences in parts in the industry. All in all it was a very educational week for us and we are already looking forward to attending again next year.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    ACT makes every level of performance clutch for a Dodge Colt and nothing for our cars? WTF!
    Have you ever gone to an "Import" track event and seen a Colt leave on the bumper? Huge following compared to our cars.

I thought you had a clutch lined up?

I tried to get ACT to make us a 2.2L/2.5L clutch, and have a prototype that worked well in the Z, but really, they have no interest cuz they have so many other more popular interest applications to make clutches for first... and not like we dont have many other options.

BTW, a 500WTQ clutch really doesnt mean anything unless its rated for a specific vehicle weight anyways. A clutch that holds 500WTQ in a 2000lb car might not in a 4000lb car...

It sounds like you want the most you can get and dont care about cost... why not get a Tilton or Quartermaster custom dual disk?
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 11-08-2009 at 10:44 PM.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    #1:
    +1

#2 How does ACT have a larger disc?
    Thier 2.4L 6 puck disk is SLIGHTLY larger, but only for 3 of the 6 pucks, the others are on a shorter radius. Neat offset design to cover more area of the flywheel/p-plate, but for a drag clutch, not sure if its better than a 4-puck ... P=F/A

Here is a pic of the offset pucks

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

It sounds like you want the most you can get and dont care about cost... why not get a Tilton or Quartermaster custom dual disk?
    Well, he already said in another thread that he thinks he can get the result in a single disk.

And it looks like TU is willing to guarantee that they can and will meet your requirements for the cost of the purple/4puck combo, even if it takes a DD purple and feramic puck disc to do it.

If the big-name companies were ever going to do a damn thing for this tiny community, they would have done it when the first clutches were burning up in the late 1980s when there were more of these things on the road and people were willing to put more money into them. I really think to turn away from TU's 'above-and-beyond' efforts to help you and put your trust in companies that have had over 20 years to get it right for these cars and never have... is looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Plenty of people in this community buy from TU and will do so again in the future.. I think if you're wanting to use your particular situation to produce an educational and parts benefit for this community, there's no better way to do it then by going with Chris W and TU..

I think his efforts on essentially your behalf (since your the only person asking for anthing stronger than the purple/4puck that noone has burned up yet, essentially) prove that any investment in TU is an investment in this community, especially with your unique situation having the potential to be so educational, with a vendor willing to give you FREE and practically one-off upgrades if the first go round doesnt work

And even if i does come to the DD plate and feramic pucks the fulcrum point will be altered so it will probably be nicer to drive than the DD you ran before which you said you could tolerate
    Last edited by Vigo; 11-08-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Well, he already said in another thread that he thinks he can get the result in a single disk.
    It sounds to me like he just wants to put one clutch in and have it work for whatever he throws at it? If thats the case, why even gamble with a single disk?

And it looks like TU is willing to guarantee that they can and will meet your requirements for the cost of the purple/4puck combo, even if it takes a DD purple and feramic puck disc to do it.
    That's one helluva offer And it directly benefits our community

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

another thread about this? really?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

even if it takes a DD purple and feramic puck disc to do it.
    I may have put my foot in mouth because i see only the PP was specifically offered..

But the spirit of helpfulness is the same either way! I have no doubt that TU can and would find a way to meet the requirement for a fair price, likely not much over the purple/4puck combo even if you ended up paying 100% retail price.

I am as cheap as the next guy and often cheaper, but to my eyes getting a clutch to hold 600+ wtq from a company with such a track record of customer support for well under $1000 seems like a deal.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

#1: Why do you think we need another oblivious and anonymous vendor? After reading the whole other thread you've been offered SEVERAL solutions for your application by a current vendor that goes WAY out of their way to cater to us! I'm not trying to be an @ss or a nut-swinger here, but it is an observation that you have been offered several solutions and they are willing to work with you to get you a combination that WILL work EXACTLY the way you want it to.

No, I don't make the power you do, nor do I race the way you do, but we have the same expectations in common. I was skeptical myself as to how things could work out the way they do and thought I was going to have to get some expensive, custom set-up to be happy, but I was wrong! I'll state it again here, the issue I had was MY fault. Guess what? They are helping me out even with that! I'll bet you that ACT wouldn't do that!

How about supporting our vendors instead of going outside is all I'm saying here.

#2 How does ACT have a larger disc? There physically isn't room for a larger disc than the TU 232mm, especially if you use a lightened or aluminum flywheel. Not only that, but the pressure plate itself is only a certain size, which is pretty much maxed out at the point where TU has taken it.

#3 You state that when you went from the presumably full-face street/strip combo to the 6-puck you haven't had any issues until now(from what I'm gathering) on a 1900# plate if I'm understanding things correctly. This is not only due to the change in friction material, but the applied pressure to each pad of the disc. What makes you SO sure that you are going to have issues with a 2600# plate with a 4-puck!? You are already starting out with more overall clampforce, then to add to it you are also increasing the load on each of the pucks due to there being less surface area to distribute that load. If I had money, I'd put some down on a bet stating that combo WILL hold your power.

It seems to me like you are affraid to try an off-the-shelf item. Honestly I think you need to try it before you knock it. You really have nothing to loose from it if you actually sit there and think about it.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be an @ss, or anything, but you really aren't even giving something a fair shot before you started doubting it and looking for different options!
    First off, NO one has garanteed me anything so far. If I would have had a rock solid try it and if it doesn't work and we can't get you what you want (I'm not interested in a DD) it won't cost you anything garantee I would have said yes to it before feramic even came up.

Secondly, I think your confusing the 6 puck in the SRT-4 with the 4 puck I am currently running in the Charger.

And lastly, the comment about getting ACT to sponsor an 1985 nothing car was (at least I though) obviously sarcasm.

Don't worry, I don't think your an A$$.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Robert,

Our 4 puck disk DOES have a higher torque capacity then our 6 puck and we have no doubts that it will be able to support your vehicles power output. As an added insurance we also researched and offered you an upgraded Feramic pad with the same thickness as our oversize ceramic for extended service life. This will allow you to transition to the Feramic (Higher COF) without having to change out the pressure plate.

And, should you surpass the capabilities of our single diaphragm purple plate we are willing to provide you with a free upgrade to our Purple modified Dual Diaphragm pressure plate. The modified Purple DD plate will have in excess of 3300 lb pressure. And, due to our custom PP modification you will experience a much lighter pedal pressure normally associated with DD pressure plates.

I had an opportunity to stop at ACT's booth at SEMA on Wednesday. We discussed different combinations of clutch pads and pressure plates. When I mentioned the types of cars we sell to the representative kind of chuckled and said something along the lines of, those cars don't make more then 300HP. The guy was kind of young so he probably wasn't that familiar with the potential of our powerplants. I am not sure who you are talking with there, but, the person I spoke with was overly confident that they could provide a clutch based on his "300HP" potential numbers. When I checked out their website to compare their products to ours they don't have any of our cars listed. I only found a Dodge Colt, Stealth, Neon and Viper.

Later on, I coincidentally bumped into one of ACT's component supplier at the AAPEX Convention. He invited us to his office on Friday and we spent about 3 hours discussing differences in parts in the industry. All in all it was a very educational week for us and we are already looking forward to attending again next year.

Chris-TU
    Chris, this isn't about you. This is about me making a decision on what road to ultimately take. If I were to go twin disc it will hold whatever I put to it period.....tons of proof...no problem. It will cost me a little more, but it will work and work well. If I go through you, so far, the only choise I see it to buy the best of what you have recently offered. There's no way I want to take a chance on anything less, because IF your all wrong, guess what...I end up paying for it! I made an offer to "test the limits" of this purple plate + 4 puck. Everyone says it will hold no problem, but if it doesn't, I'm on the hook for something I didn't think would hold in the first place! Does this make sense to anyone? I was very close to closing this out, and I'm not one to openly disscuss my buisness on an open forum. Was just waiting for some final info and I thought it was funny that ACT made their highest performance clutch line for a Colt........that's all.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    This offer has never been put on the table.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Why do you think I started a thread about the clutch I'm going to put in the Charger? You don't think I'm trying as hard as I can to keep this "in the community"? You don't think that was the first thing I told Chris when I spoke with him? You don't think that my thread brought further attention to his products and had a hand in the upgrades he now offers?

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

turbo addict

I think its about getting the combo he wants based on his terms, not what "take what you can easily get and pray."

So DD is not an option, harsh engagement or heavy pedal is not an option. Chance of having to remove and reinstall another setup at his own cost, not an option. Regardless of what each of us deems "appropriate" it doesn't have any bearing on what will satisfy his own requirements.
    I hated cars for a full year while going through clutch combos at my expense/labor.

Season is over and he doesn't have to jump on the first egg that hatches.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

were a vendor here and we sell ACT clutches. (we sell other brands as well) so just becuase Rob is asking about ACT which from his experience has held his power level on other cars like the srt-4, doesn't mean he isn't going to work with a vendor here...

I think quite a few of you missed Rob's point.... he has first hand experience with several clutch set-ups. He is looking for set-up A, other vendor wants to charge him for set-up B, with no money back guarantee...... so why would he want to take a chance and spend money on B which Rob thinks won't hold his power which is why he really wants set-up A.
    later,
    Cindy
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

The problem is, I'm Not done, actually, I've only just started to do what I'm planning on doing with this car. If this was as far as I was planning on going, things would be different. I would just need a slightly better clutch and call it a day.

I have offered up the Charger + my time to PROVE what someones clutch can/can't do. Whatever that sounds to anyone, I'm the one that's in this for more than just someone throwing some parts my way and then letting me do all the work. Look at the time in disscussion I have already dedicated to this cause, and for what? So someone tosses me a free bone? Don't waste my time! I'm looking for someone who believes and is willing to stand behind what comes out of their mouth!

I offered to start with the purple 4 puck 232mm combo (which everyone seems to be convinced will be all I'll need) and go from there, to whatever end that takes. I got no answer on that. I don't think Chris is interested in having to prove anything. He has a good line of clutches that have a good track record and that's good enough for him. (and I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that)

So I'm left with figuring out (from what is available) what I think will be the best combo and purchasing that on the basis that it should do the trick. (and don't get me wrong, knowing Chris will do what he can to help me with what he has)

I didn't start this thread to go into all of this, or to be "another" thread about the choise of clutch for the Charger. I started it to bring light to the fact that none of the major clutch companies are going to pay enough attention to our little market to make something as specialized as our own vendors. Although it didn't work out that way. lol

This is all I'm going to say about this, as I already stated, I'm not into making a habit of airing my own buisness on a public forum. Aligations were made and I just wanted to speak to those. Not even sure what I want to do now, as I'm starting to feel that this has already gone bad. I'll have to think about it.

Robert Mclellan
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast