Thread: 24v 3.0 Duster progress log

Threaded View

Hybrid booster

24v 3.0 Duster progress log

Well, if you haven't lurked in the 3.0 section or been naughty and gone perusing on TD... heres my project.

If you want to go over to the dark side and read the original thread, it is HERE

otherwise, here is a quick synopsis:

Started about 3 years ago when the 1992 Sundance Duster 3.0 5 speed i bought for $80 decided to die after busting through a 2'x3' snowbank at about 60mph. (suspect now that the heads cracked) After attempting to do an upper gasket kit to revive the motor (which didn't work) i decided to look for alternatives.

After much googling and searching i found that the 24v 3.0 in the 00-05 eclipses was nearly identical i went looking for such a motor. Found a motor for $200 about 20 minutes from my uncle's house (he has a F350 turbo diesel dually flatbed truck) and said "here's a 6-pack...go fetch?"

once I got the motor I dove right in. (mind you, most of this is before i got into the Turbo dodge world) was able to pull the old motor and trans, mate the new motor to the trans. and fab up a passenger side motor mount. After the motor was physically installed, i had to install and wire the Megasquirt.

While i got everything installed right, it took me about a year off and on to finally get the car to run. Initial attempts using the 24v distributor met in complete failure. (in retrospect, i may be able to get it to work now, but i did not have the requisite experience or information then). It took me so long because i had the car towed with me from CT to school in south western NY and worked on it when i had time. I got stuck when a misalignment between the trans and motor chewed up the ring gear on the flywheel.

That 2nd summer consisted of installing a 4 puck ceramic clutch and HD PP from FWDPerf and an OBX LSD. I also installed an EDIS-6 module with GM coilpacks and was able to start the car on spring break of 07. Took the car to school the next year and was able to go to the track for the first time. Ran 1 14.96@93mph best at NYIRP.

Since then I have fried the 4-puck, killed an OBX (case bolts failed taking the OBX out necessitating a transmission rebuild) blown the oil sender apart spinning two rod bearings, and many other issues. I now have a new OBX, a purple PP and 6-puck clutch from TU, a fidanza Aluminum flywheel, a better tune, slicks, launch control/flatshift, and other mods i can't think of.

Plans at the moment are for an M90 supercharger, intercooled with 390cc injectors. and eventually a caravan AWD system mated to the A543 (once we figure that one out lol). I have run a PB this season of 14.712@92.99mph and am looking to beat that at Turbopalooza on nov 7th.
    Last edited by Shadow24; 11-02-2009 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Link addition