Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New 3" Swingvalves are back up on our website

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: New 3" Swingvalves are back up on our website

Quote Originally Posted by Simsy View Post
    if you are using a ford style turbo..its def. not just bolt on and go...have fun modifying ur DP
    Yeah but wasn't your downpipe not fitting correctly to begin with? It looked to me like there was a 2.5"-3" adapter which probably threw things off more than the slightly augmented donut position caused by the new TU 3" swingvalve.

I have posted pics and have done my own mock ups and it looks to me like it will work great even though the downpipe may end up needing a slight tweak to make it perfect. Honestly to me it sounds like you guys are whining about something that is pretty minor hurdle in order to make this high flowing wastegate available on an application it was never intended for in the first place.

Don't forget the TU 3" s/v started out as a 8v-only part and it wasn't until Chris had the necessary design changes done in order to make it compatible with the standard T3 (aka Ford) flange. This was primarily done because Turbonetics was considering stopping production of the Chrysler-flanged .63 A/R turbine housing. Obviously Chris doesn't want to have a bunch of 3" S/Vs made up if the supply of turbine housings is about to dry up so he makes the changes to expand the market by making standard housings compatible. This had nothing to do with the TIII and don't forget the TIII motor does not even use the standard T3 turbine housing anyway. BUT, it just so happens that you can bolt up a standard T3 housing to the TIII exhaust manifold because they happen to have the same inlet flange. Now if you are able to incorporate a Chrysler-style swingvalve onto that the result is a good possible solution for the TIII crowd. It may not be perfect but any competent exhaust shop could correct for the slight difference in donut angle. The benefit is you get a top of the line wastegate/O2 housing that flows just as well if not better than anything else out there, and it uses the standard off-the-shelf 3" downpipe, no custom fabricator required!

So in my point of view, I think we are lucky that the new TU 3" S/V is a possible solution for the TIII crowd at all. I think it's a great design and the changes made to the new design in order to make it compatible with the standard housing are innovative and actually made a lot of business sense. I don't think it's fair to demand that Chris had test fit these on TIII cars before releasing them because they were never the intended market anyway. To get a perfect fit for the TIII application would have required a whole new casting which is something that will likely never happen given it's such a niche market.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by 4cefedomni View Post
    Would a simple bend in the downpipe fix the alignment issue?
    Most exhaust shops would do that for a case of beer.
    no it needs to be shortened as well

Quote Originally Posted by Simsy View Post
    no it needs to be shortened as well
    Shortened AND bent or just shortened. The adapter adds height to the donut. You were the first to install a stock DP with the adapter. We never tested that combo because most people just get the 3" DP.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I don't think it's fair to demand that Chris had test fit these on TIII cars before releasing them because they were never the intended market anyway.

Exactly! Their intentions were to fit a FORD turbine housing, in which they do... not every possibly engine, turbo, and car application all rolled into one.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Shortened AND bent or just shortened. The adapter adds height to the donut. You were the first to install a stock DP with the adapter. We never tested that combo because most people just get the 3" DP.

Chris-TU
    shortened and bent...and ive already tried using the TU 3" DP and the same modification needs to be done

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345