Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New 3" Swingvalves are back up on our website

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: New 3" Swingvalves are back up on our website

Check this out TIII guys...

Standard T3 60-trim with .63 A/R turbine and new TU 3" swingvalve on top. Stock TIII turbo on bottom. Notice the downpipe angle versus the turbine inlet flange. Looks like this will work perfectly for a bolt-on big turbo on the TIII motors. No more custom fabbed parts!

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    but the standard T3 housings need to have one of the holes drilled the rest of the way out.
    i noticed that too...

BTW Chris,

Again i thank you for finally getting these out to us and they look great.
    BUT, i went to bolt mine on today to my ford turbo and it won't line up to my DP...its not lining up..now im stuck..also the 3 inch donut u sent me for my 2.5" dp is not going onto my dp..is it usually hard to get on???

Quote Originally Posted by Simsy View Post
    i noticed that too...
    Yep. And after looking at it I can see why this was done. Right out of the box it will work perfectly for the Chrysler style housings. But the standard T3 housings need that bolt hole (inside the S/V) drilled the rest of the way out. If that hole were drilled all the way out, you would have a huge exhaust leak if running the Chrysler housing. So, even though these are 'dual-flange', they are really only one way or the other. If you drill the hole out to use with the standard housing, it would have to be welded back up before it could work again with the Chrysler housing. Not really a big deal for most of us because it's not like we are going to be swapping back and forth, but something to consider if you decide to reuse the S/V on another project or sell it later on.

boostaholic

Yep. And after looking at it I can see why this was done. Right out of the box it will work perfectly for the Chrysler style housings. But the standard T3 housings need that bolt hole (inside the S/V) drilled the rest of the way out. If that hole were drilled all the way out, you would have a huge exhaust leak if running the Chrysler housing. So, even though these are 'dual-flange', they are really only one way or the other. If you drill the hole out to use with the standard housing, it would have to be welded back up before it could work again with the Chrysler housing. Not really a big deal for most of us because it's not like we are going to be swapping back and forth, but something to consider if you decide to reuse the S/V on another project or sell it later on.
    yeah that i can deal with but it not lining up to my DP make sit useless

yeah that i can deal with but it not lining up to my DP make sit useless
    What is your combo and are you using an off-the-shelf or stock type downpipe?

boostaholic

What is your combo and are you using an off-the-shelf or stock type downpipe?
    just using a standard 5 bolt ford turbo on my r/t with the stock DP

just using a standard 5 bolt ford turbo on my r/t with the stock DP
    Hmm strange. That is the combo I'm using but I'm going to be using the TU 3" downpipe which is already on the car. I've compared the stock turbo and a 5-bolt Ford 60-trim (pic above) and it looks almost right on....but I haven't mounted it onto the car yet.

boostaholic

Hmm strange. That is the combo I'm using but I'm going to be using the TU 3" downpipe which is already on the car. I've compared the stock turbo and a 5-bolt Ford 60-trim (pic above) and it looks almost right on....but I haven't mounted it onto the car yet.
    yeah it does look close but its a different story in the car

Damn. Looks like I spoke too soon. I'll be trying this myself tomorrow on the car.

boostaholic

Damn. Looks like I spoke too soon. I'll be trying this myself tomorrow on the car.
    yea lmk how it works out for ya

i noticed that too...

BTW Chris,

Again i thank you for finally getting these out to us and they look great.
    BUT, i went to bolt mine on today to my ford turbo and it won't line up to my DP...its not lining up..now im stuck..also the 3 inch donut u sent me for my 2.5" dp is not going onto my dp..is it usually hard to get on???
    Simsy,

I sent you the 2.5" to 3" adapter per your request. This includes a spacer and the 3" donut. They must be installed together.

While the installed angle is fairly close the depth of the donut may be off due to the differences between the factory swingvalve location and ours. When installing our 3" swingvalve it is best to install the exhaust from the swingvalve back due to these differences.

Chris-TU
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Downpipe%20adapters.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	19493  
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Chris W View Post
    Simsy,

I sent you the 2.5" to 3" adapter per your request. This includes a spacer and the 3" donut. They must be installed together.

While the installed angle is fairly close the depth of the donut may be off due to the differences between the factory swingvalve location and ours. When installing our 3" swingvalve it is best to install the exhaust from the swingvalve back due to these differences.

Chris-TU
    well just letting you know..shouldnt be a huge deal, im thinking maybe a very minor modification may be needed to make it work..just giving you a heads up. thanks again

Should you need to transition back to the 8-valve platform it would be easier to just tap the extra hole and use a plug. Since most will be using this for the 8-Valve platform it made sense to leave that hole 1/2 drilled to prevent an exhaust leak.

We were provided with a larger peg for the wastegate actuator rod. Just drill your WG rod extension hole slightly larger to accept the peg. New E-Clips were provided with all new swingvalves.

Chris-TU

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Cool, thanks Chris. I hope I didn't make it out to be a big deal because really it's actually pretty minor and I can see why it needed to be done to allow both flanges to be an option. Once I verify fitment on my car I may well order another very soon.

Cool, thanks Chris. I hope I didn't make it out to be a big deal because really it's actually pretty minor and I can see why it needed to be done to allow both flanges to be an option. Once I verify fitment on my car I may well order another very soon.
    Not a problem Jeremy. I am glad you brought it up since I had forgotten to mention us leaving the hole plugged to everyone during the redesigning stages. It was necessary to prevent the exhaust leak in 8-V applications which you picked up on right away

Chris-TU

I test fit the new 3" swingvalve on my Omni today. It has a TIII mock-up motor in it right now consisting of the old blown-up 2.5L TI shortblock with a TIII head and exhaust manifold perched on top. Turbo is a T3 from a Ford with the standard .63 A/R housing.

First I test fit a stock TIII turbo. The existing 3" TU downpipe fit the donut just fine. Then I test fit the Ford T3 turbo. The downpipe still bolts up OK but the angle is a little off. It is pretty slight and it might seal OK, but I'll probably take it to the exhaust shop so the donut sits inside the swingvalve a little more centered. The downpipe is going to have to point downward a few more degrees to get it just right and I think it will be easy for any exhaust shop to accomplish with little fuss.

I would get pics but I'll have to put my car on jackstands first which is going to be a pain with all the junk in my tiny garage at the moment. From above it looks like it fits great...you can really only tell the angle is off by feeling the bottom side of the donut or from looking at it from below.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

ok, I just saw this thread.......... I was in on the original group buy, so what needs to happen??

thanks,
    clay
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Clay, they are available on the website. I wasn't in the GB and I already have mine.

Mitsu booster

Recieved the 3" swing valve 3 days after I finished paying for it.

Yep, got mine too and quickly as well. Thanks Chris!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast