Thread: Chris, quick question on your heads

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Chris, quick question on your heads

I have one of your heads in the machine shop right now being re-done, they have everything done now except they don't know what valve stem seals to use. Apparently the stock seals do not work w/ the brass(bronze?) valve guides you have installed. Can you tell me what seals to use, or send me a set?

And to answer the inevitable questions I am working on Bozo's car (Tony Q), he purchased the head, not me. The head is being re-done because several thousand miles ago the engine was overheated rather severely, was starting to smoke a bit, then blew the head gasket while trying to set-up the air-to-water IC setup and tune the computer. The heat tab on the head was melted, and therefore I did not feel it was fair to ask you to warranty it, and it was (supposedly) quicker and cheaper to just have a local shop go over it than have it shipped back to you for the same thing and then shipped again.

The smoke turned out to be #1 and #4 pistons being galled, apparently from overheating. So this is NOT an attempt to fault your head in any way. Just need to get it back together asap, as the car has been down since Sept, and both me and Tony are ready to see it move again I think he has put a total of 5k miles on the car maybe in 2-3 yrs, I'm ready to see him actually enjoy it for a change.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Re: Chris, quick question on your heads

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    I have one of your heads in the machine shop right now being re-done, they have everything done now except they don't know what valve stem seals to use. Apparently the stock seals do not work w/ the brass(bronze?) valve guides you have installed. Can you tell me what seals to use, or send me a set?

And to answer the inevitable questions I am working on Bozo's car (Tony Q), he purchased the head, not me. The head is being re-done because several thousand miles ago the engine was overheated rather severely, was starting to smoke a bit, then blew the head gasket while trying to set-up the air-to-water IC setup and tune the computer. The heat tab on the head was melted, and therefore I did not feel it was fair to ask you to warranty it, and it was (supposedly) quicker and cheaper to just have a local shop go over it than have it shipped back to you for the same thing and then shipped again.

The smoke turned out to be #1 and #4 pistons being galled, apparently from overheating. So this is NOT an attempt to fault your head in any way. Just need to get it back together asap, as the car has been down since Sept, and both me and Tony are ready to see it move again I think he has put a total of 5k miles on the car maybe in 2-3 yrs, I'm ready to see him actually enjoy it for a change.
    Rob,

Still in Los Angeles after attending the SDAC-CA meeting last night. I will be back in Phoenix tomorrow and will get you an answer then. Email or PM me.

Thanks!

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

turbo addict

nice to see a vendor watch their stuff while away from the office. Ain't technology grand!

It is nice
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

After doing a little research we determined that Tony's cylinder head was completed back in '07. I spoke with my machinist today about which guides he used back then. He was not 100% certain and thought it would be best if you measured the guides so we can send you the correct ones.

PM me with the measurements.

Thanks!

Chris-TU

BTW- Staying connected is a good thing
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Okay, I'll let you know asap.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Rob and Chris,

Thank you very much for working together to get this taken care of. As Rob mentioned, I am more than anxious to drive this car and enjoy it a little. Plus, I really want to get it tuned properly and get some dyno numbers on it now the W/A unit has been improved.

Thanks again!!

Chris and Tony, the shop is working on it today, I think they have found something that will work. I will update as soon as I know something.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC