Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New and looking for info

Mitsu booster

New and looking for info

I recently picked up a '88 Aries w/ a 2.5 (what i was told)for my winter beater. Surprising I actually like driving the car more then my other car a 2003 Chevy Impala.

Well my friend with a turbo Daytona has now got it in my head to turbo the car and told me to come here to get some info.

I see there is alot of knowledge on these boards and alot of ppl with experience with these cars and motors.

So info im looking for is things like: Whats do i need to do to turbo my car? How much faster would a turbo make the car? How reliable would the turbo-ed car be? Whats the best turbo setup to get? and the big one How much?

heres some quick pics for your visual enjoyment. plz dont get mad at me for painting the car

Garrett booster

Re: New and looking for info

Congratulations on the car and welcome to the board. You'll get a lot of feedback here on how to mod your car, but the best site for info and conversions would be THEDODGEGARAGE.COM
    These cars were turbocharged from the factory so it will be fairly reliable depending on how much you'll push the envelope. You more than likely have a tall deck block; most would change it for a 2.2l turbo engine or a 2.5l common block engine. Junkyards are usually plentiful of these. Complete wiring harness with computer and solenoids, etc. Fuel pump from a turbo car (in the tank). You could use the transmission that's in the car, but most would opt for the turbo transmission. It won't have the lock-up torque converter, and the torque converter will have a higher stall speed. Others will post for things I will have missed. Your engine was probably rated a hair above 90 hp, the stock turbo cars put out about 146-150 hp. You could easily get 190 hp out of these with no sweat and reliable. Some people here are getting over 400hp! Good luck!

Mitsu booster

wow i didnt think they were making around 150hp in my hed i was thinking 120 with a turbo. ive been watching some videos of some fast Ks on youtube and they are doing under 11sec. holy crap. im excited!!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Simple really, best bet would be a donor car, then swap everything over but in a nut shell-

Complete engine, 88 and up, either 2.2 or 2.5.

Harness and computer

Fuel pump.

Then you can either run no intercooler or add one but at 11 psi, it will still be pretty peppy and the best part, its all bolt in, no fabbing required, except the IC.

Love the paint job and a turbo motor would compliment that,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Welcome to the site. Check out www.thedodgegarage.com as mentioned.

There are several TM guys in your area if I'm not mistaken. You may want to join the Shelby Dodge Automobile Club and get in with those in your area. It is a great club, and the guys from NY are really good folks.

Hybrid booster

Get the turbo and start handing out the punishment!

turbo addict

Hybrid booster

another NY member sweet! The easiest way to swap in a turbo motor would be to find a turbo K car, that wire harness will plug right in. It is entirely possible to splice in a different harness, like from a Daytona but that wouldn't plug right in easy. The non turbo automatic is weaker so if you use the stock trans dont expect it to hold up for too long. The turbo engine and trans will bolt right up, in 90 and up they used bigger engine mounts but the brackets swap right over. I swapped my 89 Daytona from TBI to turbo this summer and it was pretty simple and straight forward since I had a 88 Shelby Z to use for parts. These turbo motors are easy to get decent power from.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Vendor

That video never gets old. LOL
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR] is a performance parts and service business catering to a variety of high performance cars. We carry a full line of products to service and upgrade [I][COLOR="#FF0000"]Turbo Mopars, Shelby Dodges and Chryslers[/COLOR][/I] of all makes, models and years. From parts to service, fabrication and dyno tuning there is something for everyone. Visit our store at [COLOR=red][B][URL="http://www.fwdperformance.com/store"]FWD Performance[/URL][/B][/COLOR], we'd love to hear from you![/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Right, I get so into watching that video that the adrenaline starts to rush as if I was behind the wheel! It's been too long since I've raced

Welcome to the site, and congrats on a kickass paintjob. I think the more you learn, the more you are gonna be excited considering how much fun these cars can be for little to no $$ (comparatively speaking)
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=43104

I'm doing one right now. You need an 89 or 90 minivan harness and the correct computer, sensors, relays and misc. Most people pull all of that when they get the harness. Vigo can tell you for sure if you have to re-pin anything. I haven't gotten that far on mine. Waiting for the harness to arrive now.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

No kidding,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=34580

Might wanna check out my aries thread. I know its only 13 pages but theres a little bit of info in there

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Truer words have never been spoken. The slingshot effect that car seems to have in that video is "visible" regardless of the poor cinematography.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Mitsu booster

so ive been looking on craigslist for a donor just to see what i have around me and im not finding much. whats a good vehicle to look for?

I found a 87 daytona z with a blown turbo

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher-K View Post
    so ive been looking on craigslist for a donor just to see what i have around me and im not finding much. whats a good vehicle to look for?

I found a 87 daytona z with a blown turbo
    Any 88+ turbo car would be a great place to start. Of course if you can score pieces here and there in the yards you can accomplish the same thing.

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher-K View Post
    I recently picked up a '88 Aries w/ a 2.5 (what i was told)for my winter beater. Surprising I actually like driving the car more then my other car a 2003 Chevy Impala.

Well my friend with a turbo Daytona has now got it in my head to turbo the car and told me to come here to get some info.

I see there is alot of knowledge on these boards and alot of ppl with experience with these cars and motors.

So info im looking for is things like: Whats do i need to do to turbo my car? How much faster would a turbo make the car? How reliable would the turbo-ed car be? Whats the best turbo setup to get? and the big one How much?

heres some quick pics for your visual enjoyment. plz dont get mad at me for painting the car

just buy a turbo car, it will be cheaper
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    what is it with the negative nancy's on this board....let the dude have his fun.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

well, thats SORTA what i did. I got the aries for $100 many moons ago, and then bought a turbo minivan with some mods for $450 and put all the good stuff in the aries and resold van parts and scrap metal for $377.

So i guess with that math i got a 98mph trap car for $173? And if i had bought the turbo motor, intercooler, harness, computer, etc by itself it would have been more.

But just so you know you cant just go out and buy a turbo aries. They didnt make them, past the 59 or so desirable ones that you cant really find. The only real option is to convert it.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    well, thats SORTA what i did. I got the aries for $100 many moons ago, and then bought a turbo minivan with some mods for $450 and put all the good stuff in the aries and resold van parts and scrap metal for $377.

So i guess with that math i got a 98mph trap car for $173? And if i had bought the turbo motor, intercooler, harness, computer, etc by itself it would have been more.

But just so you know you cant just go out and buy a turbo aries. They didnt make them, past the 59 or so desirable ones that you cant really find. The only real option is to convert it.
    I would buy something other then an aries...
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast