Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 89 Dodge Spirit project

Re: 89 spirit randomness

''Resourceful'' Lmao.
    Thats a ridiculous concoction but as long as it works.... ehhh screw if it works and its free then I see no problem LMAO

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Well im reaching out to some members here to get my hands on some 6-bolt flywheels. Looks like with shipping time and all that i probably wont even get one before christmas. I'm looking for two just in case i decide to 523 my 85 new yorker Here's a picture of that one:

But thats ok, i need time to swap k-frame, struts, rear axle/brakes, put pedals in, run cables, mount shifter, modify console, mod boost gauge and mount it permanently, modify an old t1 garrett for the new motor, swap t2 compressor cover and wastegate onto old turbo, swap heads from G to Swirl, socket SMEC, buy chip burner..

And probably other stuff. I COULD be doing a lot of things. We'll see what gets done over the holidays..

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Finished taking the motor out today. Motivation is slipping for some reason but i think once i am past my finals and do a bit of paying work i'll be ready to bust out some real work on it.

^I hear ya.
    Finals are kicking my ---.

Well got a 98 on my 90-page portfolio and got an A in both my classes. Thank god it's over for a few weeks.

I got my 6-bolt flywheels in the mail, thanks a bunch to Force Fed Mopar!

I still need to find the actual crank bolts to bolt it on. All i have are shorter flexplate bolts.

Also, i managed to score a t2 lower intercooler hose from the junkyard for $5, so no more of that crazy contraption i posted up!

Im looking at one of these setups http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    I've read a bit about that controller and im loving it, i might just buy another one for an a/f gague for my wideband so i can have a gauge in both the Aries and Spirit and move the sensor/controller back and forth with simple connections if i feel the need.

So once i find those crank bolts i should have all the pieces to bolt the thing together. It's gonna be a lot of mismatched and reused parts, but its gonna run and be my commuter just fine. 23mpg in the Dynasty is getting old.

I might convert an old log-motor FPR so an adjustable base regulator so i can ghetto-rig my +20s and 2.5 cal to run ok until i get my chip-burner and socketed SMEC going. I am a goof.

Managed to pick up an 88 2.2 t-2 smec so that gets me a bit closer. Little by little.

Finally got that busted old 88 shelby z out of my carport (good riddance) so i should be able to start working on this next week! working on / autocrossing the Aries this weekend or id be starting even sooner.

Well, i got some flywheel bolts and put the flywheel on the 85 motor. Tore it partially down, looked at the pistons and bores and they seemed great. The headbolts all came out well and seem very clean.. I think they were replaced and not run on for very long.

I decided i am going to convert the timing setup to round tooth gears from a tbi motor i have sitting around.

I still need to tear off both turbos, from the spirit's complete head (w/2piece, roller tbi cam, etc) and from the 85 head (good log-style garrett ill be converting and using). And have to take the t2 compressor cover off the leaky garrett that was on the spirit before. Lots of messing with turbos. Did i mention ill have to grind the turbine housing on the log turbo? Lots of turbo work.

I think i will be able to bolt the head onto the 85 motor very soon, though. And bolt the tranny to the motor for that matter. Does anyone know what the compression is with a 782 head on g-head pistons?

So, after a whole christmas break of absolutely nothing on the spirit, at least the ball is rolling slowly again.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: 89 Dodge Spirit project

Thread moved to P-log

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Sounds good dude. Keep up the good work.
    Still envying your Texas weather.
    Its in the high 20's here and thats warm compared to what it has been.
    Q

I put the shelby front springs/struts in it yesterday. Of course i could have like.. been putting the motor together but i wanted those struts out of my carport!

Base model spirit struts/springs now going on my limo.

Just need some copper spray to put the 85 motor together... you heard me

Getting closer. The motor is most of the way together with converted turbo, 782 head, blah blah.

Still need to switch the cam gears to round tooth.. does anyone else LOVE pulling 5bolt crank gears? Grr.

Should be ready to go into the car on Saturday. Then gotta make the car ready for IT.

Ok, major progress report!

Got the motor/trans completely together.

I found out the stupid 6bolt motor has a smaller crank snout and CANT be converted to round tooth crank gear. Too bad i went to the annoyance of pulling 2 crank gears just to find this out. This leaves me in the position of not knowing if putting the square tooth cam gear (974?) on a 88 or 89 tbi roller cam changes cam timing from stock.. ?

So, dropped the k-frame, steering rack, auto tranny, and probly some other stuff.

Took out the console, swapped on the 520 shifter, drilled hole for cable, put back together.

Welded wideband bung onto my downpipe.

Hung motor/tranny in engine bay.

Got 5spd 89 k-frame and fast ratio steering rack ready to go in. Gonna need 2 people to get that stupid steering coupler together again.

So motor/trans is in, and once i get some help hanging the k-frame up and connecting the steering coupler, i should be able to get it running in a few hours . Still need to swap in the pedals but the drivers seat is already out and ive been getting some practice lately so hopefully it wont take too long this time...

I have a handful of pics but ill have to post them later.

Crank gears are stubborn. Good thing i pulled two for no reason! Well, i guess i learned some 6 bolt crank trivia that i'll never use again..

Pulling old auto trans. Then dropped k-frame and steering rack together. Then drilled holes for new shift cables.

Then i put the new motor and trans in!

This is my new H-pattern shift gate No pictures of the shifter mounted up but it was insanely easy, just take off the center console, swap the shifter with 4 existing bolts/studs, and drill one new hole in the floor for shift cables. I was surprised how easy it was. I'll take pics later when i paint this piece black and finish the interior part up.

Nobody seems to be noticing this thread lately

Thanks for the updates and pictures...great thread, lots of ingenuity
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Lol, your throwing together another beast when I'm still having trouble looking for a k member and control arms for the GLH haha. I know of 5 L-bodies in the JY I could get them off of but Im not too enthusiastic about welding a new tranny mount on there...grrr lol

Garrett booster

looks badass dude! 2.2T2+5spd in Spirit ftw

and that is some CRAZY swappin going on in your sig

but Im not too enthusiastic about welding a new tranny mount on there...grrr lol
    If you buy the one from Johnny Spiva i'll weld it on for you.

Thanks guys!

Looking good dude.
    You keep chugging away at these td's while us ppl up here are stuck looking at our td's in the driveway or in the garage waiting for spring LOL

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    Looking good dude.
    You keep chugging away at these td's while us ppl up here are stuck looking at our td's in the driveway or in the garage waiting for spring LOL
    Yeah no kidding, it totally bites! Hey...it may make it above freezing today, let's get outside under our cars LOL!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast