Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skibbe's Shelby Charger Updates!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Skibbe's Shelby Charger Updates!

Looks great!

Sorry about your grandma bro, my condolences.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Skibbe's Avatar

Quick 2011 update. Brought the car out to SDAC this year. Had fun at the car show, and took it racing at Union Grove. First trip down the track something popped at the 1/8th mile. Car died. Popped the hood on the return road and found the coil bouncing around, it launched off it's bracket. Got it plugged back in, car restarted but was skipping. Messed with it some at the track but finally gave up and went home guessing it was a popped head gasket. Regular grocery items are what you may possible spot on the Food Lion Ad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDAC21_racing.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	453.4 KB 
ID:	33379

While pulling the head for a gasket swap, I found a rocker had shot out. Guess that was the cause of the missing. Seeing oil in the water though, I proceeded with the head gasket change.

It's back together and running well, but I think I'm chasing a charging problem as well. I really haven't driven it for long periods of time since the alternator power wire burned a hole in the radiator. Car show day the car ended up not wanting to start... I had to jump it to get it back on the trailer. I had it on the battery charger overnight before drag racing, but a couple days later it was dead again.

I'm wondering what could have fried when the power wired shorted out against the radiator 2 years ago. I don't get the 12-14volts at the battery with the car running. If I run my meter from the alternator power wire to a ground strap, it shows like 44-something volts which has me questioning the volt meter. OTC-2000 shows battery voltage under 12 volts car running also, so I think that part is correct.

So I haven't narrowed it down to an alternator or voltage regulator problem yet. I guess I can pull the alternator and have autozone or someone test it, right? Otherwise I have an external voltage regulator to try.
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 11-11-2020 at 12:58 PM.

Could be the alternator or the computer... shoulda drove it over Saturday for Team SDAC Chicago to diagnose it at the meet, LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

LOL, needed to bring the truck to get the core support home for the GLHS. If I didnt have to catch dinner with the inlaws I could have run home to swap.

I decided the GLHS needs an alternator anyway, so I have another Nippo on the way.

Spent today upgrading the charging system. My battery charging issue was one of three things, alternator, wiring, or voltage regulator. So rather than test each, I just swapped everything.

I installed a brand new Bosch Nippendenso-style alternator along with an external regulator. The alternator, regulator, and pigtail for the regulator were all available from Rock Auto.

Since I'm using the newer style alternator and tensioner, I don't have to worry about getting a socket and extension through the adjuster hole in the core support on my Charger. So, I mounted the voltage regulator to the core support right by the alternator.

After burning a hole in the positive wire from the alternator with my hot radiator... I had already removed the positive wire from the plastic alternator connector. I decided to finish deconstructing the plastic piece with a hack saw in order to separate the alternator ground wire and the field wires. The field wires were getting replaced, but be careful not to nick the ground wire.

Here is everthing out of the plastic shroud. The ground wire keeps it's screw terminal. The green wire isn't used, as it runs to the internal voltage regulator in the SMEC. The blue wire is a +12v Switched source and needs to be extended to pick up one field connection on the alternator and the middle pin on the external voltage regulator.

Add some 18ga stranded wire, preferably blue, to the blue wire. Leave it long so we can cut to fit later... about a foot will do.

If you trace the green wire back in this alternator sub harness, you'll find that it terminates in a connector. Pull the internal keeper from the plug, and unlatch the pin that is soldered to the green wire to remove it from the connector housing.

Just in case you want to change everything back, you can tape the green wire/pin back along the harness to keep it out of the way. If you don't care, you can cut it off or remove the entire green wire from this harness. Either way we're just making sure the internal regulator in the SMEC isn't fighting our new regulator. Severing this green wire does the trick.

Now you can reinstall the alternator sub harness, and go ahead and make the connections to the new regulator. The blue field wire (+12v Switched) picks up one of the field connections on the alternator and then continues to the middle pin of the voltage regulator. Solder on a screw terminal to make the connection to the alternator. The green wire simply runs from the other pin on the regulator to the remaining field connection on the alternator. You can also see that I added a black jumper to run from the alternator ground wire to the body of the regulator. In theory the regulator is grounded through the screws holding it to the core support, but I wanted to provide some insurance.

Bundle those wire in electrical tape or friction tape to keep everything tidy and you're all ready to go.

Here's a diagram that might help anyone else doing the external regulator modification. It's not hard, but I had to review a couple sources to make sure I understood everything.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

nice write up on the external voltage regulator install!
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

+1, need to make it a KC article

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    +1, need to make it a KC article
    Sure, is that something you can move JT?

I just made it an article but it went to the article KC, not the new KC... Hmmm... asked Frank about it... please hold

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Garrett booster

Very good writeup. Keep in mind that the later cars (maybe starting with '90 models? Certainly by '92) will trigger the Check Engine light and throw a code if you do this, because the SBEC doesn't see the field resistance of the alternator and interprets it as an open-circuit fault. Easy fix: measure the resistance of your alternator's field circuit -- disconnect the field wires and turn the alternator by hand while you probe across the two field terminals with an ohmmeter -- then put a resistor of similar value across the car's original two field wires that go to the SBEC. That'll give the SBEC a resistance to look at so it stays happy and quiet. Meanwhile your external voltage regulator is doing the actual regulating. Keep in mind also you can get an adjustable version of this voltage regulator.

Just to add to the above write up, make note that there is a fusible link between the alternator and the battery, and it's a good idea to check it out while working on your charging system...

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...harging-Issues

All good now and ready to hit the track.

Hit the track for Puerto Rico vs Midwest Import Wars Day at Great Lakes with JT on Sunday. We didn't understand any of the track announcements, but the test n tune lanes weren't busy so it was a good day to go.

This was attempt #2 to get some times in on the two piece intake. Attempt #1 was SDAC-21 where I broke on the first run. But this time I got some track time in with the two-piece intake. Car is otherwise the same as it was 2-years ago when I ran 12.69 on the same set-up with a one-piece intake.

I know it's not back-to-back with the 2-year delay, but looking at MPH I didn't pick up anything with the two-piece.

Run 1 (Off the trailer, slicks at ~13psi cold, colder morning air)
    60' 1.916
    330' 5.386
    1/8 8.246
    MPH 85.52
    1000 10.692
    1/4 12.738
    MPH 110.41

Ok, picking right up where I left off in 2009 where best run on the one-piece was 12.69@110.

Run 2 (Slicks down to ~13psi hot)
    60' 1.918
    330' 5.507
    1/8 8.441
    MPH 83.62
    1000 10.936
    1/4 13.013
    MPH 108.61

Banged third this run. 60' still not good.

Run 3 (Checked slicks while hot from last run, dropped another psi to bring to 13 again. Day is warming up)
    60' 1.920
    330' 5.392
    1/8 8.272
    MPH 83.37
    1000 10.791
    1/4 12.890
    MPH 107.74

Clean run, car feels good, but losing some power as the day heats up? 60' still high.

Run 4 (Dropped slicks to 11 psi hot)
    60' 1.844
    330' 5.253
    1/8 8.099
    MPH 86.25
    1000 10.551
    1/4 12.621 <--New best
    MPH 108.61 <--Identical to Run 2

I probably should have refreshed my own memory by reading this thread before I went back to the track, since I kept dropping the slick pressure last trip too. I'll probably go straight to 10psi next trip out.

No noticeable gain on this set-up by switching to two-piece intake. After starting to load up I remembered that something else did change between the two track days... I discovered the knock sensor wire wasn't hooked up in the S60 harness. So possibly some knock was pulling back timing now that the sensor is hooked up? I can't imagine that I'm near the end of the fuel system to have any knock, since I'm running relatively conservative boost (no vacuum lines to wastegate, twice the 8psi spring) but I'm throwing that out as a caveat.

But, that's enough monkeying around at the track. The car is running strong, charge system repairs are good, time to let the 60-1 HiFi breathe some life into this 7.5:1 ratio 2.5l. I'll be swapping out the wastegate spring and going for broke.

Hybrid booster

Just did the conversion on my 90 omni. Worked out good but the CEL is on now. Code 41. Either way its holding charge now.

I'm back. Time to get this show on the road again.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1442 (1).jpg 
Views:	762 
Size:	282.6 KB 
ID:	64259  

So the car went through two owners, but I bought it back. One of the things I never got around to last time I owned it was fixing the missing stripes. Both the lower pin stripe at the ground effects and the pin along the skunk stripe needed patching. It was extra annoying that the factory didn't line up the paint on the body panels... without factory stripe kits there is no way to hide a 1/2" misalignment. But I did my best with two widths of trim tape.

Missing lower stripe on door, added stripe, fixing misaligned skunk stripe and adding 1/4" outline, fixed and in the sun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1670.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	64260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1671.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	64261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1702.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	64262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	64263  

turbo addict

Really nice car!!
    wish mine was blue too

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Now get that GLHS back together!
    I think I'll be plasma cutting the parts car after I get back from Drag Week. If you need anything from it besides windshield let me know
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by shmedley View Post
    Now get that GLHS back together!
    I think I'll be plasma cutting the parts car after I get back from Drag Week. If you need anything from it besides windshield let me know
    Thanks! I need lots of bits of sheet metal, so if any of the following are in good shape:

1) Metal above windshield before sunroof.
    2) The metal between passenger frame rail and inner fender, up front. This would be the area that has the vapor canister mounted.
    3) Base of driver A pillar where it meets cowl (rust hole)
    4) Firewall, specifically where AC passes through and coolant passes through. Those areas were pounded flat and blocked off.
    5) Spare tire well

I think that is every area with issues, and not flat and easy to replace without stampings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    Really nice car!!
    wish mine was blue too
    Thanks! I really like the blue interiors, it was what caught my eye when I saw my first one. I guess a blue interior in a GLHS would have been the best of both worlds.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skibbe View Post
    Thanks! I need lots of bits of sheet metal, so if any of the following are in good shape:

1) Metal above windshield before sunroof.
    2) The metal between passenger frame rail and inner fender, up front. This would be the area that has the vapor canister mounted.
    3) Base of driver A pillar where it meets cowl (rust hole)
    4) Firewall, specifically where AC passes through and coolant passes through. Those areas were pounded flat and blocked off.
    5) Spare tire well

I think that is every area with issues, and not flat and easy to replace without stampings.

When I start cutting I'll let you know and you can come by and we can get what you need. Just not the antenna
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast