Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Rocker

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Skibbe's Avatar

Mystery Rocker

As a little background, I lost a cylinder. Pulled spark plug #3 and it was oily. Compression test on that cylinder came back with a big fat '0'. I tore into it tonight hoping it just needed a new head gasket. Pulled the valve cover off and see this:

WTF???

So it spit a rocker... OK. But Seseme Street taught me about playing the "One of these things just doesn't belong here" game... and that rocker sure doesn't match the other 7 standard sliders.

That valve is stuck open, which is the major problem... and that explains the chugging and probably the oil in #3. It doesn't look like the spring broke, but I don't have the tool to pull the valves so it looks like the head's going to have to come off before I figure out exactly what happend.

For a car that was taken care of so well, with all genuine Mopar replacement parts, I was very surprised to see this strangeness. Any thoughts as to what the previous owner's thinking would have been?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Mystery Rocker

It probably got chewed up when it got spit out. My monitor is really bad so the picture isn't 100% clear.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

That's one of those sintered iron jobbers (the MP followers). My guess is that it tore-up the original and/or spit it out. Whoever did the fix tossed in one they had kicking around.

Maybe the car was overheated and a valve guide dropped? BTW I was standing next to JT when you called...LOL. You could try prying down on the valve stem with something to see if it moves (protect the cam lobe with something). Maybe its behavior well tell you something. If you're pulling the head anyway....

From what I see in the pic, the cam and the follower look fine. I'm guess the valve issue is what's causing whatever the original problem was.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Based on what he said, I bet the valve is sticky or seized, hence the spit rocker,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar
    That's one of those sintered iron jobbers (the MP followers). My guess is that it tore-up the original and/or spit it out. Whoever did the fix tossed in one they had kicking around.

Maybe the car was overheated and a valve guide dropped? BTW I was standing next to JT when you called...LOL. You could try prying down on the valve stem with something to see if it moves (protect the cam lobe with something). Maybe its behavior well tell you something. If you're pulling the head anyway....
    So that answers the question of what the rocker is from, I hadn't seen one before.

Should have told you two to run over and have a look, I'm only a few blocks away!

I was going to leave it stock TI since it was running so smoothly... The gods frowned on that though, so I might as well TII it while the head is off. Other option is to bite the bullet and dissasemble the rusty black one and put the 2.5L TII SMEC drivetrain in this shell. So many choices... so many problems.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Yeah, what Russ said...

btw, thought this one was going to stay T1?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I may be giving some bad information here, so anybody correct me if I'm wrong. The first thing I would do is gently peck straight down on the valve stem and see if you can get it unstuck. I'm guessing it got pushed past it's normal range of motion when the follower spit and it's hung on a burr or piece of carbon on the valve stem. If the valve comes free when you peck on it, I'd put a follower on that matches the others and try it out. If it doesn't work and the valve sticks again, you're not out anything but a follower, and if it works you just saved yourself some time and a head gasket.

Interesting idea and worth a try Tony.

By 'gently peck' do you mean 'gently smack with a hammer'?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance
    Interesting idea and worth a try Tony.

By 'gently peck' do you mean 'gently smack with a hammer'?
    LOL, if I had a lawyer he'd probably caution me about liability issues, but I don't so here goes...
    I should probably suggest using a wood dowel or a brass drift and smacking that with a hammer, but to be honest, if it was mine I'd just give the valve stem a couple good taps with a hammer and a 1/2" drive extension as a drift and see if it frees up.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by tonyz2897
    LOL, if I had a lawyer he'd probably caution me about liability issues, but I don't so here goes...
    I should probably suggest using a wood dowel or a brass drift and smacking that with a hammer, but to be honest, if it was mine I'd just give the valve stem a couple good taps with a hammer and a 1/2" drive extension as a drift and see if it frees up.
    Thats what I would do Mine did that a while back and mine bent the lifter and the valve.

Gotcha... guess he could probably pry on it with a screwdriver pivoting under the canshaft too.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

That might do. I've used that method for reinstalling followers before. If it's hung up pretty good though it might take the shock from hitting it to break it loose. If the valve is bent like WVRampage suggested, my idea won't do a bit of good but if it's just a burr or piece of carbon, it should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance
    Yeah, what Russ said...

btw, thought this one was going to stay T1?
    The idea was to keep it reliable and leave it alone in its TI configuration. That didn't work out.

I'll hit it with a hammer tonight.

But, if it's leaking oil into that cylinder, something must be messed up with the guide seal. Just having a stuck valve shouldn't cause an oil leak...

If it snaps free with a rat-a-tap-tap on the end, might be worth just changing valve seals with the head still on the car.

Or, since the rocker had been replaced anyways, there possibly is something f'ed about it which caused it to spit the stock rocker out. Was the RTV on the valvecover new? Maybe thats why it was for sale on ebay?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Hybrid booster

My experience with these heads is that the exhaust valve guide dropped (it was exhaust wasn't it?) because the valve siezed. If you take a small screwdriver I bet you can lift the valve stem seal on that cylinder with little to no effort. Fix is to remove the head and have that guide (and probably that valve) replaced.

Mike

Mike- That's the intake side.

Ok, I gave it a smack and it popped right back up.

But, not having a valve spring compressor, and having no experience with valve work, I think I'll just pull the head and see what's up.

Yeah, I would say that something's still up. It's obviously happened to it before.

I have a spring compressor or two but dont have the adapter for the air compressor... probably good idea just to yank it tho... unless you want to drive it to the CMC show first

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

I'd just find another follower and try it out. Worst case you might have to drive it home on 3 cylinders and pull the head off anyway. Best case, it would run fine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast